Public Information Officer
Application deadline 30 days ago: Monday 22 Mar 2021
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Outreach, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Plan and organize well-focused awareness-raising events by employing drama, dance, music, sports and other entertaining methods (e.g. peace concerts, football tournaments, quiz competitions, school debates on peace and reconciliation) to promote the goals and priorities of UNMISS and garner better understanding of the Mission among the people of South Sudan;
- Conceptualize a PR plan and formulate effective key messages to maximize visibility of UNMISS and its priorities, and produce on-point promotional materials such as posters, fliers, banners, photo panels, PowerPoint slides, t-shirts, and cartoons;
- Organize celebratory events for UN-related “International Days” (e.g. International Day of UN Peacekeepers on 29 May, International Day of Peace on 21 September, and United Nations Day on 24 October) and assist other partners in organizing other "International Day" events;
- Create and maintain networks of effective contacts with high-profile officials and influencers in South Sudan, including national ministers, undersecretaries and directors-general at the government, civil society groups, faith-based groups, women and youth organizations, academia, local media outlets and other relevant actors, and contact them directly in Arabic at a moment’s notice;
- Screen and analyze local newspapers and radio stations in English, and produce informative media monitoring reports for the Mission leadership;
- Manage a team of national staff members to coordinate with UNMISS field offices
- Write and edit content on UNMISS outreach activities, and contribute to the UNMISS Web site, Facebook and others platforms, as well as research and generate content for outreach-related promotional materials;
- Design clear, engaging graphic materials catered to target audiences, using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and/or InDesign (e.g. logos, branded promotional materials, web site and social media graphics, posters, flyers, publication layout and other marketing materials as needed);
- Perform other duties as assigned by CPI Section Chief and Head of Outreach Unit.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- Event management, public relations, graphic design, website management, mass communications, journalism, broadcasting or relevant disciplines.
- At least three years of progressively responsible experience in event management, public relations, graphic design and website management/design;
- Excellent written and spoken English. Fluent language skills in Arabic.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise:
Web and graphic design, Other communications related experience, Public information and reporting
Area of expertise details:
- Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in PowerPoint and various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc) and other IT applications and office technology equipment;
- Have a valid driver’s license and proven ability to drive manual gear 4x4 vehicles;
- Strong and proven knowledge of graphic design software, including InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop;
- Ability to operate digital recording equipment;
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System;
- Sound security awareness.
Accountability, Communication, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 22 March 2021