Public Information Officer
Application deadline 8 months ago: Tuesday 20 Oct 2020
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Multimedia Coordinator, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Writing news and feature stories for the mission’s website and other digital platforms;
- Writing scripts for long-form audio-visual content for distribution by UNHQ and micro-videos for the Mission’s social media platforms;
- Proactively identifying, researching and conducting the necessary interviews for such stories;
- Identifying and commissioning/delegating news and feature stories to other Communications and Public Information CPI colleagues mission-wide;
- Editing news stories, feature stories and other print material produced by other CPI colleagues;
- Travelling, when needed, to other states to cover stories and events;
- Assisting in adopting print material for use online, on social media etc., and vice versa;
- Providing and/or verifying content to and doing the graphic design of print and online products (calendars, banners, billboards, posters, leaflets, brochures, factsheets, newsletters, the Mission and UNCT magazines, etc.) produced by CPI colleagues or, occasionally, submitted for design by other UNMISS sections or UN agencies, funds and programmes;
- Liaising with UN agencies, funds and programmes about joint print or online products;
- Assisting in following up administrative matters such as daily submission of story ideas by field offices and technical evaluation of content and reach (including social media analytics);
- Assisting the Multimedia Coordinator in developing material for and conducting capacity building of relevant skills for national staff;
- Design clear, engaging graphic materials catered to target audiences, using Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Spark/Canva, Illustrator, and/or InDesign (e.g. logos, branded promotional materials, web site and social media graphics, quote cards, posters, flyers, publication layout and other marketing materials as needed);
- Performing other duties as assigned by CPI Section Chief and the Multmedia coordinator.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Journalism, Mass Communications, Broadcasting or relevant disciplines.
At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in journalism and communications;
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise:
Other communications related experience
Area of expertise details:
- Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in PowerPoint and various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc) and other IT applications and office technology equipment;
- Have a valid driver’s license and proven ability to drive manual gear 4x4 vehicles;
- Strong and proven knowledge of graphic design software, including InDesign, Illustrator, Canva/Adobe Spark, and Photoshop;
- Ability to operate digital recording equipment;
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System;
- Sound security awareness;
- Sound leadership skills, with experience managing small-to medium-sized teams
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 20-10-2020