Project Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Application deadline 1 month ago: Friday 14 Oct 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a NPSA-7 contract. This kind of contract is known as National Personnel Services Agreement. It is normally only for nationals. It usually requires 7 years of experience, depending on education. More about NPSA-7 contracts.
The UN Secretary-General established the UN SDG Action Campaign to inspire people and organizations from all backgrounds and every part of the world to take actions to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, while holding decision-makers to account for progress society-wide. The UN SDG Action Campaign is hosted and supported by UNDP and is based in Bonn (Germany) with a lean team that marshals rapid support for new initiatives as opportunities arise and provides partners with on-demand strategic creative services that inspire SDG action with an engaged community of activists and concerned individuals.
The UN SDG Action Campaign is working closely with cities and local governments to showcase how they are actively contributing to implement Agenda 2030, accelerating transformative action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals for all, and everywhere. The UN SDG Action Campaign, together with the office of UNDP in Rwanda are supporting the City of Kigali to implement the Rainwater Harvesting and Smart Waste Management project in Mpazi and Busanza settlements, one of the winners of the 2021 Global Mayors Challenge.
Within this context, the UN SDG Action Campaign is seeking to recruit a Project Monitoring and Evaluation Officer to support the implementation of the Global Mayors Challenge in Kigali.
The project is addressing the issue of affordable water and smart waste collection in the two recently upgraded neighborhoods, one located in the informal settlement of Mpazi ravine sub-catchment area, Gitega Sector Nyarugenge District, and another in a resettlement of Busanza, populated by people who formerly lived in Kangondo, Nyarutarama.
In order to afford the high cost of water provision, while improving sanitation services, the project focus on promoting the use of rain water collected and distributed into house units, to be used as an alternative affordable water source in addition to commercial (WASAC) water provision. The project also include a new system of waste collection, directly collected from households through segregated waste bins, improving the living conditions of residents.
The project comprises interventions in the two sites located in Mpazi and Busanza and are focused on constructing rain harvesting systems and smart waste collection systems. The works will include construction of underground rain water reservoirs with its water distribution mechanism into the already identified buildings, one for each site ( Mpazi & Busanza), and also installation of seven stations of smart waste collection bins in total.
The Project M&E Officer will support the UNDP and City of Kigali to monitor and evaluate the implementation of the Kigali Global Mayors Challenge Project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of project manager, the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer will be responsible to perform the following functions:
- Assist in developing project performance monitoring plans and ensure adherence to plans during the project implementation;
- Develop monitoring and evaluation tools and systems that effectively track project deliverables and progress;
- Facilitate evaluation frameworks, including specific methodologies to conduct project evaluations, as well as policies and tools for monitoring and evaluation of programs;
- Prepare quantitative and qualitative indicators, benchmarks, and data sources for project deliverables;
- Organize M&E site visits to ascertain status of project achievements and undertake interviews and discussions with project staff and stakeholders;
- Provide pertinent monitoring and evaluation data to the Project Supervisor to strategically facilitate an informed decisions on project implementation;
- Assist the Project Supervisor and the City of Kigali Chief of Urban Planning with preparation of high quality quarterly and annual reports that highlight project achievements and milestones to be shared with key stakeholders;
- Disseminate information to concerned communities; identifying areas where communities could assist in operation and maintenance;
- Keep the community in general and the impacted households in particular informed of the project schedule through public meetings, as well as establish a “Grievance and Redress Mechanism” and ensure that the complaints are adequately documented and addressed;
- Perform other project tasks, as required.
The Monitoring & Evaluation Officer will directly report to the Project Supervisor based at the City of Kigali Headquarters and will work closely with the technical team, UNDP Rwanda Office.
Achieve Results:Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work.Think Innovatively:Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking.Learn Continuously:Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning.Adapt with Agility:Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process.Act with Determination:Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously.Engage and Partner:Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships.Enable Diversity and Inclusion:Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considres in decision making.Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies:
Thematic AreaNameDefinitionBusiness ManagementRisk Management- Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks.
Monitoring- Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results.
Evaluation- Ability to make an independent judgement based on set criteria and benchmarks. - Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns.
FinanceManagement and Cost Accounting- Ability to produce periodic qualitative and quantitative performance reports to facilitate effective decision making and performance monitoring. - Ability to use a range of costing techniques and analyse cost related data to provide quantitative information to the users of reports.
Digital and InnovationDevelopmental Evaluation- Being able to carry out evaluation thinking in complex systems and adapting evaluation strategies to changing realities.
ProcurementData Analysis- Ability to extract, analyse and visualize procurement data to form meaningful insights and aid effective business decision.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Education requirements
- Completion of High School Diploma is required;
- Having a Bachelor’s Degree in Monitoring & Evaluation, Economics, Project Management, Business Administration, Development Studies, Management and Development Economics or related issues, is highly desirable.
Min. years of relevant work experience
- A minimum of seven (7) years with High School Diploma or four (4) years with Bachelor’s Degree of relevant work experience is required.
- Experience on implementing community participation methodologies and community development in evaluation design and development of indicators is required
- Proficiency in the use of computer and office software packages (MS Word, Excel,) is required
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection/survey design, implementation, and analysis is required.
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies Section
- Excellent knowledge of Government of Rwanda multi-level governance framework is an advantage.
- Knowledge of STATA (a general-purpose statistical software package) and SPSS is an added advantage.
- Experience in donor relations is an added advantage.
- Good working knowledge of statistics and ability to obtain, analyze and interpret data and present findings in written and oral form, is highly desirable.
- Experience with Monitoring and Evaluation System Development is highly desirable.
- Proven skills in process and group facilitation, training, and capacity building, is an advantage.
- Experience in knowledge sharing and advocacy is a plus.
Required Language/s- Proficiency in the English language is required. - Working knowledge of French and Kinyarwanda language is a plus.
The following documents shall be required from the participants:
- Personal CV - indicating all part positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three (3) references.
- Cover letter - indicating why the candidate considers him/herself to be suitable for the position.