Project Manager (Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice)
Application deadline 9 months ago: Monday 28 Feb 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a SB-4 contract. This kind of contract is known as Service Board / Service Contract. It is normally only for nationals. More about SB-4 contracts.
UNODC technical assistance activities in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) are undertaken under the broad framework of Within the Regional Programme for the Arab States to Prevent and Combat Crime, Terrorism and Health Threats and Strengthen Criminal Justice Systems in line with International Human Rights Standards (2016-2022). The Regional Programme is composed of five priority Subprogrammes, namely: 1) Combating Organized Crime; 2) Countering Terrorism; 3) Combating Corruption and Financial Crimes; 4) Strengthening Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice; and 5) Prevention of Drug Use, Treatment and Care of Drug Use Disorders and HIV/AIDS Prevention and Care.
Under subprogrammes 4, and based on a strong track record and within its mandate in the areas of drug control, crime prevention, criminal justice reform and terrorism prevention, UNODC is implementing the project “Youth empowerment for impact Strengthening resilience among youth in the MENA region against crime, violence and drugs”. This project will add value to MENA Member States’ efforts to increase their citizens’ health and safety through the provision of: (a) Technical assistance to enhance Member States’ capacity to prevent drug use, crime, and violence and terrorism (b) Normative and policy support to assist Member States with the development of domestic legislation on drugs, crime and terrorism in all its forms and manifestations and (c) Analysis, research and evidence to increase knowledge and understanding of drugs, crime, violence and terrorism issues and to inform policy and operational decisions. Through this initiative, UNODC will support target MENA Member States to accelerate action towards achieving their targets under Sustainable Development Goals 3,4,5,11,16 and 17.
The incumbent of this position will support the implementation of the above mentioned project in the States of Algeria. the Head of the UNODC Programme Office in Algeria will be the first reporting officer and the Regional Programme Coordinator (Youth programme) will be the second reporting officer. And this would be under the overall supervision of the UNODC Regional Representative for the Middle East and North Africa.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator located in Palestine, the Project Manager will support the overall implementation of the UNODC regional project “Strengthening resilience among youth in MENA region against crime, violence and drugs”, and all related activities in Algeria.
This will include:
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of the project activities as outlined in the project document;
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of project activities targeting the country counterparts and the regional activities;
- Contribute to the implementation of UNODC technical assistance in relation to the project by providing substantive, technical and logistical support;
- Work in close collaboration with National Counterparts, UNODC staff both in ROMENA and HQ in order to coordinate activities and to ensure consistent service delivery;
- Work on programme development with a view to ensure the continuous expansion of ROMENA Youth Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Portfolio.
More specifically, the incumbent will fulfill the following tasks:
- Prepare detailed work plans and accompanying budgets and budget revisions for the timely and realistic achievement of the project objectives, and monitor expenditure as per funding agreement;
- Ensure timely project review, revisions, monitoring and completion of related reporting obligations;
- In coordination with the project team in ROMENA, organize all procurement of services as per project activities and in line with UN procurement regulations and financial rules and support quality assurance of deliverables;
- Develop, plan and organize activities on Youth Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice;
- Maintain and support smooth coordination with national counterparts, ensuring substantive engagement with institutions and structures to facilitate the implementation of UNODC’s project activities;
- Contribute to the delivery of technical assistance pertaining to capacity building at the national level, in accordance with overall strategy and priorities, including in collaboration with the national counterparts;
- Participate in needs assessment consultations and in substantive discussions with the national authorities, and contribute to the drafting of mission/meeting reports;
- Prepare background papers, correspondence with government working papers, mission reports, presentations, policy proposals and ad hoc reports pertaining to law enforcement and justice capacity-building;
- Support the planning, management, coordination and implementation projects activities as outlined in the relevant projects’ documents;
- Support the preparation detailed work plans and accompanying budgets and budget revisions for all project activities, as well as the timely and accurate submission of progress and financial reports;
- Provide support to the timely project review, revisions, monitoring and completion of related reporting obligations;
- Support the monitoring of the implementation of all project activities and report on the progress in close coordination with UNODC ROMENA Operations;
- Oversee the procurement of material and equipment, and supervise their delivery in close coordination with UNDP Algeria and UNODC ROMENA Operations;
- Assist in the organization and conducting of training courses, study tours, official meetings and other project-related activities;
- Assist in the organization and logistical support of expert/project staff missions as required;
- Draft concept notes, project proposals and related budget to ensure continuity of technical assistance and expansion of Programme Office in Algeria and ROMENA portfolio;
- Support the implementation of the UNODC gender strategy;
- Help in managing the communications including produce internal reports and newsletters;
- Familiaraze themselves with UMOJA system and its processes;
- Perform other duties as required.
Professionalism: Project coordination, financial/budgetary and administration experience and skills, and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to crime prevention and international relations. Good analytical and problem solving skills, including ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues; sound judgment and political sensibility.
Communication: Ability to write in clearly and concisely. Possession of effective verbal communication skills.
Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, including gender balance.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in social sciences, international relations, law, criminology, computer science, security studies or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in similar fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- 5 years of relevant work experience at the national or international levels is required in project/ programme, administration/management at the national or international level;
- Experience in the field of crimininal justice and crime prevention is desirable;
- Work experience in the United Nations system and/or in a similar international organization is desirable.
Language requirements :
Fluency in Arabic and English with excellent drafting skills are required.