Project Management & Administration Analyst
Application deadline 1 year ago: Tuesday 11 May 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a IICA-1 contract. This kind of contract is known as International Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's an external contract. It usually requires 2 years of experience, depending on education. More about IICA-1 contracts.
Background Information - UNOPS
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
UNOPS has established a Sustainable Infrastructure Impact Investments (S3I) Office in Helsinki, Finland. The S3I Office is a dedicated and integrated subsidiary within UNOPS with a significant degree of operational independence. The S3I Office bolsters UNOPS’ current business model by enhancing UNOPS’ brand as an innovative player in inclusive infrastructure, providing forward-looking strategic advisory services to UNOPS’ existing clients, and drawing new partners from the private sector to expand UNOPS’ portfolio of initial investments while catalyzing resources to meet the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The S3I Office activities focus on enhancing private sector engagement in target markets, crowding in commercial investment into regions of the world that historically have had trouble attracting capital. These activities help S3I develop a strong track record of commercially viable projects, build a new set of inclusive investment capabilities, and secure project implementation roles. Through this endeavor, S3I will also convene a broad range of investment partners, including donors, development finance institutions (DFIs), multilateral development banks (MDBs), and private institutional investors to drive progress toward the SDGs.
The goal of S3I is to catalyze investments in inclusive infrastructure by developing, brokering, managing, and investing in high-quality, socially and environmentally responsible, and commercially viable transactions, in the domains of affordable housing, renewable energy and health infrastructure.
- In the short-term, S3I makes minority investments in infrastructure projects best aligned with UNOPS’ mission and serves as a pipeline for UNOPS-led deal management services. Deal management, in this context, is the fee-based provision of project management and procurement services toward inclusive infrastructure projects. By engaging with the private sector, UNOPS uses its investing activities to address the lack of bankable infrastructure projects, while diversifying and expanding its deal management portfolio.
- In the long-term, the S3I Office could bolster its self-sustainability by developing and scaling other revenue streams that would complement its investing and deal management functions. These could include fund management, development impact advisory, and due diligence advisory work, and would enable S3I to operate more broadly with private sector participants and projects in a way that UNOPS cannot currently.
The incumbent will act according to the S3I management framework and related annexes, and the UNOPS legislative framework, including where relevant, delegations of authority apply to the role.
Under the Finance and Operations Manager’s supervision, the Project Management & Administration Analyst is responsible for providing support to projects implementation within the S3I´s portfolios and Innovation programme. Also, contributes to the S3I´s team knowledge building, enhancing the development of the operations, ensuring compliance with UNOPS/S3I quality standards.
- As a member of the S3i team, provides support to operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of operations with UNOPS rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, supports the establishment of management targets and monitoring of achievement of results.
- Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the S3i Office, synthesis of lessons learned/best practices, and sound contributions to UNOPS knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, timely readjustment and improvement of the operations.
- Provides support to project management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supports for project monitoring in the UNOPS ERP system, making sure data is input in the system accurately and in a timely manner.
- Supports the UNOPS innovation centers in the office setup and their daily operations, including but not limited to admin, procurement, human resources related activities.
- Assists supervisor in preparing project budget, various project reports as required, ensuring consistency with both external requirements as well as UNOPS/S3I internal reporting.
- Acts as a focal point for the UNOPS innovation centers and coordinates between different stakeholders in the partnership establishment process.
- Ensures administrative management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Workflow and scheduling: assistance in setting and managing priorities and workflow. This includes but is not limited to handling schedules, independently resolving scheduling conflicts, providing multifaceted wide-ranging assistance, arranging meetings and ensuring all logistics (hospitality, conference rooms, audiovisual, video conferences, visitor passes, etc) are completed in a timely manner;
- General office responsibilities, including ordering of supplies & equipment and liaising with property managers and others as necessary;
- Ensures provision of professional services from vendors/suppliers in an efficient; assists in the procurement process to ensure compliance with UNOPS’ procurement policy and procedures;
- Provides specialized support for database management, task and event management, planning and logistics; provides research support and use relevant IT software to retrieve and maintain information; maintains accurate and efficient filing (paper and electronic);
- Acts as a focal point for all S3i Office events organized at the Helsinki office; receives visitors by greeting and directing them appropriately;
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Project Management & Administration Analyst directly impacts UNOPS ability to drive progress towards the SDGs, build a strong investment portfolio and to demonstrate UNOPS’ comparative advantage of combining UN ethics and values with tailored solutions, consequently strengthening UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent), preferably in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance or related areas; 2 additional years of relevant work experience, in combination with a relevant first level university (bachelor’s degree or equivalent), may substitute for the requirement of a master’s degree
- Holds at least 2 years of relevant experience in administration or project management roles.
- Strong data analytics skills and experience with investment banking softwares or project management systems is required.
- At least one year of experience in at least one of the following areas is required: Procurement, HR, or Project Management.
- Excellent computer skills, including advanced Google Suite and/or Microsoft Office skills.
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English. Working knowledge of French or Spanish would be an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement Contract level: IICA 1 Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
The selected candidate will be offered a highly competitive and tax-free (in Finland) remuneration package.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above) Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.