Project Intern - International
Application deadline 1 year ago: Friday 27 May 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a Internship contract. More about Internship contracts.
The Forestry and Land Restoration Action for Kenya’s NDC (FLaRAK) Project identifies the urgent need to design sustainable measures to resolve systemic barriers that continue to hinder sustainable tree growing and unmitigated ecosystem and land degradation. The project proposes a four-prong strategy of
- Strengthening forest governance,
- Enhancing production capacity and accessibility of certified and quality seedlings.
- Piloting and scaling up appropriate technologies for tree growing.
- Sensitizing and mobilizing the public to participate in tree growing activities.
Strengthened forest governance structures coupled with improved capacity of national agencies and county governments on protection and management of forest resource will result in sustainable forestry management, and increased forest cover, resulting in increased emission reductions. Strategic forestry ecosystem of importance to Kenya (Kaptagat Forest Ecosystem, Kakamega Forest and the Lake Magadi Ecosystem) have been identified as pilots where robust forest restoration and protection activities will be implemented, serving catalytic interventions that put forth green recovery in Kenya’s NDC and implementation plans, while building resilience to climate change. The project will benefit 3 counties as well as those bordering the targeted ecosystems, it will build capacity and strengthen livelihoods of local communities living in the selected ecosystems. The project will also reafforest and rehabilitate upto 220 hectares and scale availability of seedlings by establishing twenty (20) nurseries within learning institutions benefiting a population of 2,000,000
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Officer, the project intern will carry out the following tasks.
- Support the management & coordination of day-to-day planning and implementation of project
Assist in preparation of project work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements
Assist with organizing and promoting learning and knowledge events at the national and subnational levels in coordination with other key partners and stakeholders.
- Assist in planning, designing and implementation of evaluations and reviews including drafting of TORs for consultants to be engaged in the project
- Support Preparation of concise and results-oriented progress report
- Provide administrative support to the Project in the organization of events, meetings and workshops etc.
- Drafting events minutes and other docs as needed
- Promote regular sharing of experiences across programmes and divisions; facilitate seamless sharing of ideas, knowledge, and experiences among staff and partners
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the direct supervisor and senior management
- Have a clear understanding of Kenya’s climate change policies and key requirements towards its successful implementation and reporting,
- Understanding of the links between climate change, biodiversity and land degradation
- Demonstrated understanding of policy and programmatic issues with national and county governments.
- Familiarity with the multilateral, bilateral and development partners.
- Excellent analytical, writing, and communications skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and a strong team-working capacity
Required Skills and Experience
- Fluency in English, oral and written proficiency, is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
- Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a master’s programme, or higher).
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent).
- Have recently graduated with a university degree (in climate change, environment, project planning, sustainable development or other related field) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program.