Project Associate, Amplifying Youth Voice & Action Project
Application deadline 2 years ago: Wednesday 4 Nov 2020 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV National Youth contract. This kind of contract is known as National UN Volunteer. It is normally only for nationals. More about UNV National Youth contracts.
Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of CO Programme Specialist, the National UN Youth Volunteer will:
- Assist with the implementation and administration of programme strategies.
- Provide on-demand support for programme beneficiaries;
- Organize and facilitate stakeholder consultations and engagements;
- Coordinate events, including seminars, workshops, consultations, meetings, and other project activities;
- Facilitate professional, clear and timely communication with partners and stakeholders, as required to ensure seamless implementation of logistical and events planning tasks and activities.
- Support the UNDP MCO in building strategic partnerships related to the youth citizen safety and security focus specifically with target communities, UN Agencies, government institutions, bilateral & multi-lateral donors, private sector and civil society.
- Support the preparation and dissemination of semiannual and annual report on the project’s implementation and interventions.
- Assist in the creation of knowledge products that detail lessons learnt and best practices in programme.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Ensure proper control for payments and financial reports in keeping with UNDP rules and Regulations.
- Assist in the provision of documentation to support procurement and payment processes.
- Ensure that grant funds are distributed and expended in keeping with the Work plans
- Support to spot checks, financial audits and financial closure of the project and ensure provision of requisite documentation.
- Participation in the trainings for the project staff on finance and other UNDP processes and procedures.
- Support the preparation of project financial reports, as required.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Provide annual and end of assignment self- reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- Academic: Education with a Bachelor's degree in the Social Sciences, the Humanities, Education or in Development related fields is required. Recent university graduates with strong leadership skills and demonstrated community involvement are encouraged to apply.
- 1 to 2 years work experience in project management/implementation, is desirable but is not a requirement
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise:
Development programme/project administration
Area of expertise details:
- 1 to 2 years work experience in project management/implementation, is desirable but is not a requirement.
- Experience (up to 2 years) in youth advocacy, community development and community organizing is desirable but not a requirement
- Demonstrated experience in design, delivery and organization of workshops and other training/ stakeholder engagement modalities.
- Knowledge of the socio-economic challenges of youths within Jamaica is required.
- Motivated to contribute towards peace and development and to serve others;
- Good interpersonal, networking and communication skills;
- Willingness to contribute and work as part of a team;
- Flexible and open to learning and new experiences;
- Respect for diversity and adaptability to other cultures, environments and living conditions;
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
- Computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media, and others).
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 04 November 2020 at 23:59hrs, Germany time