Programme Policy Officer-)Project Management)
Application deadline in 4 days: Friday 7 Oct 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
NOTE: WFP DOES NOT SOLICIT FOR FEES OR ANY FORM OF PAYMENT FROM JOB APPLICANTS
WFP is looking for talented people who are committed to joining our efforts to eradicate hunger. It offers unlimited opportunities to grow your professionalism, talent and expertise. Start your journey to be a member of the world-wide effort to eradicate hunger. WFP has a policy of affirmative action for women.
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Brief description of WFP in Uganda
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?
We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Programme Policy Officer (Project Management) to be based in Kyangwali Field Office. Selected candidates will be employed on Special Service Agreement.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Area/ Field Offices. They report to the designate and are subject to overall normative and technical direction by the Chief Engineer, WFP Engineering in relation to all matters of engineering services and construction activities. Job holders operate under the direct supervision of a more senior and experienced Engineer holding recognised accreditation as “Chartered Engineer” or “Professional Engineer”. They are involved in day–to-day practical engineering activities and analytical work. Subject to the overall guidance, job holders’ complete assignments and provide advice on engineering issues, applying the established norms, standards, regulations and providing expertise in making determinations and recommendations across a range of daily activities.
To provide engineering and construction supervision expertise and contribute to the efficient delivery of quality outputs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (1/2)
Under the general supervision of the WFP Uganda Country Office Engineers and overall supervision of the Head of Finance and Support Services, and within delegated authority, the duties required of the Project Manager are provision of construction supervision services and technical support and will include but not be limited the following activities:
- Coordinate the overall delivery of the project and provide engineering and project management services, apply best practises, standards and innovative technologies that comply with WFP standards and processes.
- Oversee/ supervise site construction activities on a regular basis.
- Participate in decision making and overall project co-ordination during the construction phase
- Prepare evidenced based recommendations for review by WFP Engineers and Senior Management regarding measures to improve project progress, suitability to operational purpose, safety, and efficiency of the accommodation facility.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting on outputs and/or construction milestones to facilitate informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the stakeholders.
- Coordinate the acquisition of permits and licenses from appropriate authorities.
- Participate in technical or design review, exchange of knowledge and experience, keeping abreast of construction and engineering technologies, to facilitate implementation of innovative engineering solutions of the project.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (2/2)
- Establish and maintain professional partnerships with internal and external stakeholders to effectively meet WFP’s expectations.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitor the management of the project risks.
- To issue instructions to the Contractor(s) regarding the progress of works.
- Develop and operationalize a site quality management system.
- Responsible for quantity estimation, cost estimation and review and checking of measurements.
- Prepare interim certificates for complete works for payment as per set project milestones.
- Review Contractor’s status of mobilization.
- Technical support to the development of similar projects as may be required.
- Others as required.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- A University degree in Civil Engineering/Architecture or a related field.
- Accreditable with a minimum of graduate membership with an appropriate national or international regulatory authority for Engineers/Architects.
- At least five (5) years of progressive responsible professional experience in the overall management of engineering construction projects and activities.
- Experience in general engineering construction supervision.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, AutoCAD and ArchiCAD.
- Strong working knowledge of both standard construction practice of the country and international best practice methodologies.
- Good knowledge of building codes, construction regulations and contract law.
- Ability to read drawings and follow a schedule to ensure work is being carried out in accordance with the contract.
- Fluency in both oral and written English.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has worked effectively under supervision on a large number of varied design and construction projects and taken responsibility for work elements which have been assigned.
- Has attained advanced academic qualifications relevant to engineering.
- Has contributed to projects demonstrating knowledge of engineering specialisations in relation to fire safety, seismic blast or environmental requirements.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.