Programme Officer, Community Workfare, SC8, Cox's Bazar
Application deadline in 9 days: Saturday 31 Oct 2020
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme signed an agreement with the Government of Bangladesh to support the delivery of a large project called the Emergency Multi-Sector Rohingya Crisis Response Project, financed by the World Bank.
WFP and its cooperating partners will be in charge of delivering a specific component of this project, aiming at strengthening community resilience in the Rohingya refugee camps. The resilience of Rohingya refugees will be built through community workfare and community services activities. Community workfare (CW) activities are made of labor-intensive public works and environmental restoration activities aiming at improving the living conditions in the camps. Community services activities encompass various types of services provided by volunteers in the camps and the development of key skills to provide these services. National Programme Officer will be assigned under the Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Team in the Programme Unit to contribute to the “community workfare” component of the project to support the implementation of the project activities in close coordination with the government and partners.
The Programme Officer will work under the overall guidance and supervision of the Head of DRR Team, in coordination with the Engineer Unit and supported by Community Workfare component Lead.
- Assist in overall implementation of the CW component of the World Bank Project in close coordination with different internal units and external partners;
- Ensure timely and effective implementation of the CW activities according to approved plans and budgets, regulations and policies by undertaking frequent field monitoring and supervision visits;
- Assist conducting needs assessments/vulnerability assessments and oversee beneficiary selection/identification process on the ground;
- Identify and advise on key synergies required with other WFP activities, including but not limited to DRR, Emergency Preparedness Response, Site Maintenance and Engineering Project (SMEP), Safe Access to Fuel and Energy (SAFE PLUS), and others as outlined in the Country Strategic Plan.
- Support an effective implementation of WFP’s monitoring activities to ensure maximum achievement, in collaboration with other teams;
- Assist managing WFP’s engagement with key NGOs and partners; review proposals and provide technical feedback to improve the deliverables under different DRR thematic areas. Build capacities of local NGO partners;
- Manage, and monitor resource allocation and budget utilization by the CW team and liaise with relevant units;
- Manage the preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and critical reports, lessons learned publications, and a variety of information products for internal or external use;
- Advice and support the development of functional training in areas of expertise to enhance the capacity of WFP staff and partners to design and deliver effective CW activities;
- Lead, motivate and develop an effective CW field programme assisting team to enable high performance;
- Perform any other duty as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University Degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant field.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Bangla
Experience : Minimum 6 years with 3 years of professional experience in project management ,community workfare etc. Experience working with DRR is an asset, as well as familiarity with the context of Cox’s Bazar.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design. Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Voucher) Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development. Broad Knowledge of Specialized areas (i.e. Nutrition, VAM, etc.) Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring. Emergency Programming Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes. Strategic Policy Engagement w/ Government Develops thorough recommendations using multiple inputs (e.g., government counsel, research, own experience) to strengthen national or subnational entities and government owned food and nutrition security programmes.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has deepened technical knowledge through exposure to technical teams.
- Has taken leadership of implementing programmes.
- Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Type : Service Contract, SC8
Contract Duration : 12 months
Duty Station : Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Nationality : Bangladeshi
Monthly Salary : BDT. 188,945
Number of post : One (1)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
31 October 2020
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.