Application deadline 2 months ago: Thursday 15 Sep 2022 at 00:00 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
The primary role of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is to support country-led efforts to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The work of UNDP in 170 countries around the world is anchored in diverse and effective partnerships, which are vital to our two critical roles at country level: (a) as an integrator across policy, programmatic and organizational silos; and (b) as an operational backbone for the United Nations and other partners.
This UNV assignment is part of UNDP’s Saudi Arabia efforts to promote volunteerism and ultimately increase the capacity to respond to the various technical assistance demands from the counterparts.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Programme Analyst or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Programme Assistant will:
• Conduct research on topics related to sustainable development at large and on a number of thematic issues in particular
• Support to formulation of new project ideas and documents in the Governance portfolio
• Prepare presentations and collect material and information on UNDP projects at a national level to promote SDGs in the country
• Support the revision/formulation of Concept Notes and Project Documents
• Summarize UN and Government reports
• Translate and/or proofread documents such as workplans and Terms of Reference (TORS) • Draft letters in Arabic and/or English addressed to national counterparts • Support to financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions • Support on progress reporting of projects • Draft agenda, follow-up on logistics of meetings and inform both parties of participation in the meetings. Attend these meetings when required; • Take minutes of meetings • Maintain and follow-up on decisions and actions agreed
• Maintain the electronic filing system to ensure thematic organization and availability of documents, correspondences and reference materials • Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
• Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
• Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
• Provide annual and end of assignment self-reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
• Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.; • Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers; • Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically
Teamwork and respect for diversity Commitment and Motivation Professionalism Integrity Communication Flexibility Self-Management Administration
Business administration, urban development or any related field
• Demonstrated interest and commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values. • Motivated to contribute towards peace and development and to serve others; • Good interpersonal, networking and communication skills; • Willingness to contribute and work as part of a team; • Flexible and open to learning and new experiences; • Respect for diversity and adaptability to other cultures, environments and living conditions; • Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English is required • Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded; • Computer skills (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media, and others).
Saudi Arabia is a country currently undergoing a lot of changes. Living conditions are comfortable, security is excellent, access and air travel. The weather varies across the Kingdom, however, in Riyadh, winters are mild with an occasional cold spur. Summer are hot and dry. The country is extremely well equipped to handle the heat as eery car, home, shop, mall, or office is air-conditioned.Food, water and electricity are never an issue accommodations are available as houses, apartments or in compounds. Medical facilities are excellent. Internet and banking is excellent. Saudi Arabia is a dry country, so alcohol consumption is not permitted, the dress code calls for modest clothing but abbayas are not mandatory. The country is booming with cultural activities (especially during the winter months as the weather allows outdoor activities) and the expats and nationals alike, enjoy a variety of outdoor and indoor fun activities. The COVID-19 situation is very much under control, vaccinations are available and the rate of people contracting COVID is very low