Application deadline 3 days ago: Monday 30 Jan 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
Result of Service The Procurement Assistant is expected to assist requisitioning units on the full range of Procurement issues, providing support and guidance at all stage of the procurement cycle. Prepare and distributed solicitations and managed all aspects of the process until the case file is duly closed, including payments for Goods and Services delivered
Work Location ADDIS ABABA
Expected duration 9 months
Duties and Responsibilities Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Procurement and the overall direction of the Chief of Section, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Reviews, records and prioritizes complex purchasing requests and obtains additional information/documentation as required; provides assistance to requisitioners in preparing scope of work and specifications of goods and services; proposes product substitutions consistent with requirements to achieve cost savings; determines the availability of funding sources.
- Identifies and recommends sources of procurement; interview potential suppliers; produces tender documents (e.g. Invitations to Bids, Requests for Proposals and Requests for Quotation) based on the nature of requirements and cost of procurement involved and ensure inclusion of all the pertinent factors as submitted by requisitioners and as per the procurement manual.
- Prepares abstracts of offers and compiles data contained in quotations, proposals and bids to determine which supplier can deliver the required goods/services at the best terms and lowest costs possible with due consideration to quality, delivery time, prompt payment and other discounts, transportation costs, etc.
- Enters into negotiation of terms and conditions of orders under the guidance of Procurement Officers; obtains credit and other information on proposed suppliers.
- Analyzes the potential of suppliers vis-à-vis pre-evaluation criteria set by the organization and advice the Chief Procurement Officer accordingly.
- Prepares draft contracts/agreements in consultations with requisitioners, Chief Procurement Officer, Chief, Supply Chain Management Section as well as Office of Legal Affairs and if required, prepares submission to the Contracts Committee for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official.
- Assists in raising Purchase Orders and ensures that the funds are obligated.
- Maintains relevant internal databases and files; keeps track of any contractual agreements, direct provisioning contracts, etc. and informs affected users of contractual rights and obligations.
- Researches, retrieves and presents information from a variety of internal and external sources on sources of supply, vendors by commodity, etc., as well as obtain specifications for new products and equipment on the market.
- Drafts a variety of correspondence.
- Resolves issues/problems related to delivered goods, including discrepancies between purchase orders and items/quantities shipped or received; prepares and signs Return to Vendor forms for unacceptable and/or damaged goods received.
Performs other duties as assigned by the Chief Procurement Officer and Chief of the Section.
Qualifications/special skills High School Diploma is required. Degree in the field of Procurement/Business Administration/Accounting is an asset. Additional training in the area of IPSAS & Umoja on procurement and logistics front is an advantage. At least six years of progressively responsible experience in the field of procurement/ business administration/accounting or IT is required Use of procurement-related software and database management is desirable. Experience in the application of UN’s internal procurement policies, processes and procedures in relation to the purchase of wide range of supplies and services would be an asset.
Languages English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Excellent English writing ability is a must. Knowledge of French or another official United Nations language is an advantage.
No Fee THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.