Procurement and Logistics Senior Assistant
Application deadline 1 year ago: Thursday 26 Jan 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a LICA-5 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. It usually requires 5 years of experience, depending on education. More about LICA-5 contracts.
Background Information - PSC
Peace and Security Cluster
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, Governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. The Head of Cluster is responsible to administer, provide support and oversight of the day-to-day management of the Project Field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations. It is headed by the Head of Cluster who has the overall authority and accountability for the performance of the Peace and Security Cluster on behalf of its clients.
Background Information - Job-specific
The UNMAS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with the Government of Sudan and international partners with an aim of reducing the impact of explosive hazards on civilian population. UNMAS Sudan’s main activities include land release, risk education (RE) and victim assistance (VA) in areas affected with explosive ordnance. Currently, South Kordofan, Blue Nile and West Kordofan are affected with mines and ERW while 5 Darfur states are believed to contain ERW only. UNMAS also provides technical advice and training for Sudan National Mine Action Centre (NMAC) and national mine action NGOs for improving national mine action capacity.
Under the direct supervision of the Support Services Officer (SSO), the Procurement and Logistics Assistant will provide procurement and logistic assistance, ensuring high quality, accuracy, and effective execution of procurement and logistics, including asset management and processes, as well as transparent utilization of financial resources. They will promote a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations.
The functional responsibilities include:
Procurement Support Services
- Assist in procurement activities, purchasing of equipment, goods and services, including planning and drafting clear requirements, raising requisitions, issuing Purchase Orders and Call-off Orders against LTAs, raising Requests for Payment and vendor registrations, and other tasks;
- Assist in procurement processes, e.g. drafting bidding documents and launching sourcing and solicitation events in eSourcing, managing bid submissions, communicating with bidders, participating in evaluations, preparing evaluation reports, supporting preparation of Contracts, Long Term Agreements and amendments thereof;
- Process procurement transactions in UNOPS’ corporate system, OneUNOPS;
- Process invoices for goods and services delivered, ensuring accuracy and completeness of documentation and timely payment, following up to completion and informing clients;
- Monitor office expenditures against allocations;
- Receive, review, log and route incoming communication and procurement requests/invoices;
- Prepare reports, tables, charts etc. applying technical skills and knowledge in formatting and presentation;
- Prepare statistics and reports, including on procurement volume;
- Undertake routine follow-up action on procurement on behalf of the Supervisor;
- Maintain status reports on procurement activities and work in progress.
Logistical Support Services
- Support in asset management, ensuring all items are recorded against the correct project number and the correct documentation is supported for each item;
- Manage asset and inventory of all expendable and non-expendable items under each project in order to maintain accurate records for accountability, as well as handover of equipment when appropriate;
- Support in asset registration processes of expendable and non-expendable property and equipment for the office, ensuring they are well established and maintained/updated on a monthly basis;
- Assist in office management of stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list and distribution of stationery as required by staff, keeping a log of distribution;
- Assist in managing office provision of cleaning and maintenance/repair services;
- Assist in the organization of meetings, conferences, visits, workshops, etc;
- Any other duties as requested by the Supervisor or Head of Section.
Education- A first level University degree (bachelor or equivalent) with one (1) year of relevant experience years of experience;
OR - A Secondary School diploma (high school or equivalent) with five (5) years of relevant experience.
Relevant experience is defined as experience in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management, procurement, Logistics, Assets Management, or related field at the national or international level.
Fluency in English (speaking, writing and reading) is required;
Fluency in Arabic (speaking, writing and reading) is required;
Knowledge of another UN official language is desired.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level: ICS-5 (LICA-5)
- Contract duration: Open-ended (subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Qualified candidates without UN experience are encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - Job-specific
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.