Application deadline 6 months ago: Sunday 6 Dec 2020
This is a UNV International Youth contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Youth contracts.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of RCO Team leader, the UN Youth Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Support the mapping of partners of United Nations in Guinea.
- Support the analysis of the SDG financing environment in Guinea and in the subregion.
Support agencies in submitting proposals to existing opportunities.
Create a data base of partners in Guinea including that of private sector.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Bachelor's degree in Management, Development, International affairs or equivalent
0-2 years (preferably 1 year)
Demonstrated interest and/or experience (up to 1 year) in Resource mobilisation, partnership, coordination
Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded;
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise:
Other development programme/project experience
Area of expertise details:
Learning and development are a central part of the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment and take place before, during and after his or her assignment in the field. Ideally, offering diverse opportunities for learning and development aim to strengthen the volunteer’s skills and competences, improve the quality of the assignment and keep the volunteer’s motivation high.
Learning elements for the UN Youth Volunteer include the development of:
- Professional skills: including specific competencies and reflection on assignment-related abilities; and on-the-job skills such as time management, problem solving, team building; and career preparedness such as interview skills, CV preparation, job searching.
- Inter-personal skills: including communication and listening skills; multi-cultural awareness and cultural competency; and conflict and stress management.
- Volunteering-related skills: including leadership; civic responsibility; and engagement and active participation.
Beyond the learning opportunities provided by UNV, the host agency will support knowledge and capacity development in the technical areas that are relevant to the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment. The host agency will provide, at its expense, UN Youth Volunteers with equal opportunity to participate in training courses and workshops offered to its personnel.
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
This assignment is funded by the Government of the Russian Federation, therefore only Russian nationals are eligible to apply.
This is a UN Youth Volunteer assignment and eligible candidates must be below 29 years of age throughout the assignment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection will be done by the UN Host Entity at the level of the country of assignment, via competency-based interviews held via skype or telephone.
Selected candidates will be invited to an assignment preparation training.
How to apply
Please apply via the link below. You can then either log in if you already have an account or register via ‘Candidate Signup’.
You may apply to a maximum of three assignments per advertisement and indicate your order of preference in the ‘Additional Remarks’ section of your profile.
Application deadline: 6 December 2020