Operations Officer, NO-2, Pemba, Mozambique # 118118 (Eligibility: Only Mozambican Nationals)
Application deadline 10 months ago: Tuesday 17 May 2022 at 21:55 UTCOpen application form
This is a NO-2 contract. This kind of contract is known as National Professional Officers. It is normally only for nationals. It's a staff contract. More about NO-2 contracts.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a hero
How can you make a difference?
Valuing People: Implement people resources strategies to promote technical competence and foster career progression and retention of a “fit for purpose”/ agile workforce
- Facilitate an environment of management excellence, staff well-being and accessibility and inclusion through implementation of strategies, policies, procedures.
- Implement solutions related to people management and office culture.
- Support training strategy and requisite plans to bring about changes in knowledge, skills, abilities and mind sets for Operations staff.
- Keep abreast of industry standards in management and finance and share best practices and knowledge learned within the office.
- Support Excellence in Operations in UNICEF derived from the five strategic pillars.
Valuing Money: Champion strategic resources to achieve organizational goals and ensure Value for Money (VfM)
- Ensure effective identification and use of resources in various concrete Value for Money (VfM) areas, including eco-efficiency and inclusivity, common premises, costing, results-based budgeting financial monitoring etc.
- Support the financial oversight management, monitoring and reporting of all the country programme budget- and where applicable private sector fundraising budgets; make analysis and recommendations as needed.
- Support implementation of various modalities of valuing resources through financing modalities such as budgeting and pre-financing modalities for supplies, cash-based transfer etc.
Implement Supply plan for the office and stay abreast of the regional strategies.
Valuing Risk Management: Enhance Risk Management to increase organizational performance and strengthen internal control
Support the office with up-to-date information to make operational and programmatic risk informed decisions and improve performance, with the support of the enterprise Governance, Risk and Compliance (eGRC) platform.
- Contribute and participate in testing of business continuity plans to ensure UNICEF organizational resilience to disaster, risks and staff safety and security as well as Emergency Preparedness and Response to humanitarian situations.
- Participate in review of internal controls and policies/guidance included in the Regulatory Framework, support appropriate implementation policies and procedures and provide feedback on policy and internal controls as appropriate.
Support implementation mandatory anti-fraud systems, processes and actions, and share anti-fraud achievements within the office.
Support mitigation of risks of engagement with external partners via appropriate, risk-informed due diligence.
Valuing Systems and Structures: Ensure further operational centralization and optimization for maximized efficiency gains
- Participate in the review of Operations processes and recommend measures to minimize cost, reduce duplication of work and maximize efficiencies while creating an environment of smarter controls to render the organization ready to respond to programme needs.
- Contribute to improving IT-enabled business processes to increase productivity and collaboration, better knowledge management, and ensure effective use of UNICEF assets.
Provide contribution to CPMP and review operational structures in collaboration with Regional Chiefs of Operations and the Strategic Business Support unit in DFAM.
Valuing Partners: Strengthen****ing internal and external-facing partnerships and leveraging UNICEF’s oversight and understanding of financial management across all areas of the office.
Provide technical support and recommendations on HACT implementation, including, advice approach to undertaking spot checks, follow-up actions required on result of financial assurance activities.
- Support UNICEF Office resource mobilization partners from donor negotiation and formulation of partnership agreements and contracts through written financial reporting, resolve discrepancies and ensure donor accountability and transparency.
- Contribute to UNICEF Office resource mobilization through programme proposals, written financial reporting, and analysis of discrepancies.
- Contribute to developing private sector partnerships especially in middle income countries.
- Engage as stakeholders in the UN Reform, facilitating Business Operating Services (BOS) and proactively paving the way for a potential “one back office” in country offices.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
A University Degree (Bachelor’s) in one of the following areas is required:
- Business management
- Financial management
- Public Finance
- Related operations function (Supply Chain, Human Resources, Information Technology, International Business, Project management, etc.)
A professional license from internationally recognized institutions is an asset.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience, at the national and/or international level, is required, specifically in one or more operations management area including budget; financial management and reporting; facilities management; administration; supply and logistics management; information and communication technology; human resources.
- Experience in a UN system agency, large private or public company, or experience working in a developing country and/or humanitarian/ emergency context is an asset. For country offices with a significant private sector fundraising operation, prior experience working with or in the private sector, and supporting private sector fundraising, is an asset
- Experience in working with corporate ERPs (Enterprise Resource Planning) and IPSAS (International Public Sector Accounting Standards) is highly desirable.
- Understanding of Results Based Management is a requirement.
- Experience in supporting successful client-oriented work units is an asset.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications is required.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are...
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.