Operational Consultant for EUROCLIMA+ Programme
Application deadline 5 months ago: Friday 12 Aug 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
Result of Service The objective of the position is to support the coordination, implementation and execution of projects operations and other activities under the EUROCLIMA+ Programme in the Climate Change Unit. The incumbent will collaborate with the Programme Management Officer for EUROCLIMA+ to ensure the timely delivery of results in accordance with the objectives, general policies, and deadlines. Facilitate and promote the exchange of information and interaction with all the entities involved in the projects and the application of the agreements made between UNEP, EUROCLIMA and the various partners in the instrumentation.
Liaise with the coordination of the EUROCLIMA+ Programme in the monitoring, periodic reporting and evaluation of the portfolio of ongoing and future actions through the management system of the European Commission, EUCLIDES.
Follow up on the EUROCLIMA+ Programme operational and/or administrative processes necessary for the execution of the actions and identifies risks and prepare alerts on issues that jeopardize the execution of what was planned.
Provide inputs in the planning and design of the new work plan and budget for the new phase of the EUROCLIMA+ Programme.
Develop documents, presentations of programs/projects, events, status reports, financial statements and/or other materials required for the execution of the EUROCLIMA+ Programme.
Participate and organize meetings, seminars, conferences and/or relevant missions for the execution of the EUROCLIMA+ Programme actions.
Participate in, or take the lead in, interagency or expert working groups, either internally or with external parties, including weekly meetings with the European Commission.
Supports and coordinates the execution of activities related to the communication and visibility of the activities carried out by UNEP within the framework of the EUROCLIMA+ Program.
Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., including proposing agenda items, identifying participants, editing documents, and presenting on agenda-related topics.
Follow up on the hiring of consultants to carry out tasks related to the implementation of the activities committed by UNEP in the EUROCLIMA+ Program.
- Performs other related duties as needed.
The job involves frequent interaction with the following:
Counterparts of the implementing agencies of the EUROCLIMA Program, the European Commission and other agencies related to the execution of the program.
Counterparts, senior officers, and technical staff from relevant units of the Secretariat and UN funds, programs and other specialized agencies.
Representatives and officials of national governments, international organizations, consultants, representatives of civil society organizations and business associations.
Work Location Initially Home-based then at UNEP LAC Office, Panama City, Panama, once UNEP LAC new offices are open.
Expected duration 12 MONTHS.
Duties and Responsibilities The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The UNEP’s Latin America and the Caribbean Office (LAC Office), located in Panama City, works closely with the 33 countries of the region and its activities are integrated into the Medium-Term Strategy and the Programme of Work approved by the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA).
UNEP is one of the implementing agencies of the EUROCLIMA+ Programme in the Latin American Region. The EUROCLIMA+ is an EU-funded programme to assist Latin American countries in their efforts to adapt to and mitigate climate change. The specific objective of the EUROCLIMA+ Programme is to foster climate mitigation, resilience, and investment in Latin America.
In this context, EUROCLIMA+ will contribute to effective cooperation between the European Union (EU) and Latin America on climate change related topics, in particular the regional and multi-country actions implemented by UNEP under EUROCLIMA+ will help Latin American countries to raise the level of ambition of Nationally Determined Conditions (NDCs), accelerate the implementation of NDCs in strategic sectors and contribute to the development of low-emission Long Term Strategies. Moreover, the EUROCLIMA+ Programme as a regional cooperation initiative presents an added value to promote concrete actions, good practices, and coordination at the regional level. This provides an interesting opportunity to promote synergies for the implementation of the NDCs in Latin America, creating economies of scale with respect to the provision of technical assistance services, as well as to build an aggregate vision on the progress and challenges of the region to advance in the fight against climate change.
Finally, as part of EUROCLIMA+’ Programme’s governance, the Project Support Consultant is expected to support the Regional Programme Management Officer for EUROCLIMA+, at UNEP, in the coordination, with the implementing agencies, of dialogues with partner countries and other regional actors about the programme’s actions and operationalization, as guided by the Programme Support Unit (PSU). Specifically, the incumbent will help in overseeing and implementing day-to-day programme coordination and monitoring, communication and visibility, reporting, knowledge management, meeting and event facilitation, and logistics, including support to programme coordination and Management Committee meetings.
The incumbent will provide support in coordinating the tasks mentioned below and the consultant will be supervised by the Programme Management Officer for EUROCLIMA+ at UNEP LAC Office. The consultant will initially Home-based then at UNEP LAC Office, Panama City, Panama, once UNEP LAC new offices are open, and is expected to work 40 hours per week, from Monday to Friday, full time.
Qualifications/special skills Academic Qualifications:
Advanced university degree (master's degree or equivalent) in environmental, energy and natural resources management, climate change, sustainable development, ecological economics, political science, international relations, business administration, or a closely related field is required.
- A minimum of 4 years of progressive responsibility experience in project or program management, policy-oriented work on a wide range of sustainable development issues, particularly on climate change, is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of different approaches to address climate change mitigation, including the reduction of greenhouse gases, electric mobility, renewable energy, distributed energy, etc. is desirable.
- Experience in the analysis of legislation linked to the mitigation of climate change, renewable energy, the environment and related issues, is desirable. - Experience in the writing of analytical texts from a technical/political/social point of view linked to the effects of climate change, mobility, renewable energy or the environment, is desirable. - Cross-cutting knowledge in mitigation, adaptation and transparency issues will be highly valued.
- Experience working and collaborating with governments of Latin America and the Caribbean on issues of climate change mitigation is highly valued.
- Experience required in the design and management of projects financed by international investment funds, including the Global Environment Facility, the Green Climate Fund, Euroclima+ and/or any other fund will be highly valued.
- Experience in the design, formulation and development of proposals for climate change mitigation projects in Latin America and the Caribbean at national and/or regional level is highly valued.
- Knowledge of the electricity sector from the legislative, social and market point of view is highly valued.
- Knowledge of technologies applied to energy, transport and information technologies, smart grids, interconnects, batteries, hydrogen, AI, blockchain, etc. will be highly valued. - Previous work experience working at the UN or other international development organization is an advantage.
- Additional experience working in activities related to awareness, conservation and/or management of natural resources will be considered positively.
Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
- Excellent ability to communicate both written and spoken, and to work in a team.
- Ability to capture new terms and concepts easily and to convert information from various sources into a coherent project document.
- Knowledge of the Office 365 suite. Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Teams, OneDrive, etc.
- Other advanced computer knowledge and management software will be positively valued.
No Fee THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.