Nutrition Analyst (Re-Advertise #3)
Application deadline 10 months ago: Sunday 27 Mar 2022 at 18:59 UTCOpen application form
Job Title: Nutrition Analyst
Type of Contract: SC-8
Unit/Activity: Food Security and Nutrition Analysis/Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping (VAM) Unit
Duty Station (City): Jakarta
Malnutrition remains an area of concern in Indonesia. The prevalence of stunting and wasting among children under 5 in the country are among the highest in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), along with increasing rates of overweight and obesity and assumed high rates of micronutrient deficiencies among populations across different age groups. Inequalities across the different regions persist in terms of economic development, food security and nutrition. The on-going COVID-19 pandemic significantly impacted the progress towards the 2030 Agenda across all SDGs.
In line with the National Medium-Term Development Plan 2020-2024 (RPJMN), WFP will support the Government in achieving its goals and in addressing gaps to attain SDG 2. The support will be provided using innovative ways of collecting and analyzing food security and nutrition data, disaggregated by age, gender and other relevant characteristics, to identify the most vulnerable people and regions for evidence-based policy dialogue and programming aimed at leaving no one behind.
WFP will engage in technical assistance for data collection and analysis for mitigating disaster and climate change impacts on food security and nutrition. WFP will advocate a micronutrient survey to establish the prevalence and causes of micronutrient deficiencies.
The Nutrition Analyst will support the WFP country office and partners in reviewing data on nutrition from different sources, designing and conducting relevant analysis and research on nutrition and perform impact evaluations, as required.
In close coordination with the Nutrition Team in the country office, government partners, and other stakeholders, and under the direct supervision of the Food Security and Nutrition Analysis/VAM Activity Manager, the Nutrition Analyst is responsible for the following duties:
- Support the development, design and coordination of a qualitative and quantitative research agenda on nutrition information and data at national, subnational, and household levels. Assist the Food Security and Nutrition Analysis/VAM Unit in conducting causal analysis of vulnerability, including linkages between food insecurity and malnutrition, when required.
- Review and analyze data related to nutrition, dietary intake, food security, food cost and household food expenditure and socio-economic indicators, ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidance.
- Liaise with partners, particularly the Ministry of Health (MoH), and international stakeholders with respect to periodic data acquisition on nutrition, establishing sound relationships for effective collaboration; on the integration of latest international guidance on key indicators, for example Minimum Dietary Diversity for Women (MDDW).
- Based on needs, analyze national, sub-national and household patterns of nutrition by integrating primary data, including in urban areas, to identify risk trends and vulnerability to various forms of malnutrition.
- In coordination with the WFP Nutrition team, ensure sustainable support on strategic positioning of the analysis and insights gained, including on the “Fill the Nutrient Gap” (FNG) study, both among stakeholders and internally. Liaise and collaborate with the partners to improve the understanding and use of researches and analyses.
- Actively participate in and lead regular and ad hoc nutrition assessments, surveys and studies, including data analysis and report preparation and dissemination. Act as a resource person for designing and supervising any nutrition relevant activities.
- Support the Food Security and Nutrition Analysis/VAM and other country office units based on needs in the development of data collection instruments (e.g., questionnaires) to be used by field staff and counterparts to obtain monthly updates on relevant nutrition indicators.
- Collaboratively with the Food Security and Nutrition Analysis/VAM and nutrition teams support the country office to identify key areas for further analysis, and provide guidance as required for use of data for programme design, monitoring and evaluation, for example dietary diversity for school children.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration and synergies of nutrition-related activities.
- Compile nutrition reports and results and support in maintaining and updating the VAM/Nutrition database for a sustainable accessibility to users within the country office.
- Other as required.
Qualifications & Experience:
• Advanced University degree in one or more of the following disciplines: Nutrition, Public Health or related field, or university degree in any of these fields with relevant experience and advanced courses/training.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the field of analysis, monitoring and reporting of nutrition programmes.Research experience using variety of analytical tools and methods for causality analysis, forecasting, and other data modelling needs, related to nutrition programming.
- Experience with survey methodologies, nutrition assessment and relevant data analysis.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
Strong knowledge of nutrition, including on indicators, data collection methodology for global indicators as dietary diversity, infant and young child feeding (IYCF), and micronutrient deficiencies (MNDs), etc.
Advanced computer skills in windows-based word processing and spreadsheets. Knowledge of use of statistical packages is an advantage.
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills.
- Ability to establish priorities, plan, coordinate and organise own work plan.
- Prior experience in working with government and/or on social protection schemes and targeting is an advantage.
- Ability to work independently and in teams, and to deliver results on time.
Languages: Fluency in both oral and written communication in Bahasa Indonesia and English.
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
Deadline of application submission: 27 March 2022.