National sports consultant for development of guidance note on mainstreaming gender in sports
Application deadline 2 months ago: Friday 15 Sep 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a National Consultant contract. More about National Consultant contracts.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
With the financial support of the Peacebuilding Fund of the United Nations (PBF), UN Women co-implements the project “Youth for Inclusion Equality and Trust” in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Serbia and Kosovo1” with UNDP (lead agency), UNFPA and UNESCO. The project aims to support young men and women of the Western Balkans to promote constructive and fact-based narratives, and contribute to building trust, intercultural dialogue, cultural diversity, gender equality and social cohesion in the region. The project aims at addressing the priority conflict drivers of hate speech, divisive narratives, negative gender norms and a deficit of reconciliation within the region. UN Women Albania is currently developing regional youth-led research on the linkages between gender equality, social cohesion challenges and sustainable development in the region. A regional awareness raising campaign will follow to further share and disseminate the research messages. To further advance gender equality, eliminate gender stereotypes and creative a safe and inclusive space for young girls and boys in sports, UN Women will prepare guidelines for sports agencies/institutions and organisations where youth would become allies in promoting gender equality. This is also in line with the Olympic Agenda 2020+5, aiming to make access to sport in general and the Olympic Games easier for female athletes, and to increase the number of women in sports administration and management. UN Women is seeking to recruit a Local Consultant who in close cooperation with the Regional Project Coordinator, based in UN Women Albania, and the Gender Expert will prepare a guideline for mainstreaming gender in sports focusing on football, basketball and volleyball as spots where we can find more women representatives either in leadership positions or as players. The main objective of the consultancy is to provide a comprehensive overview and assessment of gender equality in and through sports in Albania and provide concrete recommendations to advance gender equality in sports, based on best practices and good examples from the Western Balkan region. The guide aims to support sports organizations in creating inclusive and equitable environments that promote gender equality and empower all individuals to participate in sports without discrimination. The guide will provide a review of the key international, regional and national documents and policies in order to increase the availability of evidence and knowledge on sport and gender equality within the Western Balkan region, connecting it to the Albanian context. It will also examine Albania’s efforts towards achieving gender equality in sports and present valuable information and recommendations on the current needs of women and girls in sports in the country through life stories and experiences.
1 All references to Kosovo shall be understood to be in the context of Security Council resolution 1244 (1999)
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the UN Women Albania Country Representative and the Regional Project Coordinator for “Youth for Inclusion Equality and Trust” project, and in close collaboration with representatives of the Ministry of Education and Sports and Ministry of Health and Social Protection, and the Gender Expert working on this guide, the consultant is expected to collect, relevant data and information that will inform the content of the gender-responsive guide. The data collected should highlight gender disparities, barriers, and opportunities within sports organizations mainly focusing on football, basketball and volleyball, enabling the guide to offer actionable insights and recommendations.
The guide should address the following key areas:
- Understanding gender equality and its importance in sports focusing mainly on football,basketball and volleyball .
- Identifying and addressing gender-based barriers in sports participation.
- Promoting leadership and decision-making opportunities for women and marginalized gendersin sports organizations.
- Developing gender-sensitive policies, procedures, and code of conduct.
- Fostering safe and inclusive sports environments for all genders.
- Implementing effective communication and messaging strategies that challenge gender stereotypes.
- Monitoring and evaluating progress towards gender equality in sports organizations.
The consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Support the Gender Expert with a comprehensive review of existing literature, guidelines, andbest practices related to gender equality in sports, in Albania and in the region. (2 working days)
- Identify stakeholders, decision making authorities in the sports clubs, federation, OlympicCommittee, Ministry of Education and Sports etc. and prepare a list/mapping of keystakeholders/interviewees/people of influence and interest in Albania on to GEWE and sports (3 working days)
- Arrange and participate in meetings to collect qualitative and quantitative data through,interviews, focus group discussions, and other relevant methods with the aim to identifytestimonies life examples etc. (8 working days)
- In close collaboration with the Gender Expert develop a comprehensive outline and content structure for the gender-responsive guide. (1 working day)
- Support the gender expert with the finalization of the guidance note which would include a country analyses and concrete recommendations. (1 working day)
Main expected outputs/deliverables:
- List of desk review, documents, reports, legal documents etc. on gender equality in sports.
- List of stakeholders involved in the three leading sports disciplines in Albania (football, volleyball, basketball).
- List of sports players in the three leading sports disciplines.
- Calendar of field activities for data collection.
- Guidance note outline.
- Raw data collected through interviews, and other data collection methods.
- Guidance note, country analyses and recommendations supported with specific testimonies, life examples etc.
All deliverables should be agreed with UN Women and be provided in English, in electronic copy. Reports and timesheets need to be duly signed and submitted to UN Women as per agreed deadlines.
Duration and remuneration:
The duration of the initial contract will be up to 15 (fifteen) working days in the period between 25 September to 5 December 2023. The payment will be made in installments upon satisfactory completion of all tasks and deliverables in the assignment, and submission and approval by UN Women.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf
- Demonstrated experience in conducting data collection and analysis, preferably in the field ofgender equality, sports, or related areas.
- Proficiency in qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to draw actionable insights from data.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of sustainable human development and humanrights approaches especially in sports.
- Good inter-personal and teamwork skills, networking attitude, ability to work in multi-culturalenvironment.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Required Skills and Experience
The Consultant will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as, sports, sports management, business administration or a related discipline.
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience on research methodologies, quantitative orqualitative analysis, and data collection techniques.
- Experience in working or/and coordinating with sports institutions or affiliates.
- Previous experience with international organizations would be an advantage.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Albanian, including gender and policy terminology.
Scope of Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments:
- Financial Proposal specifying the total fee in Albanian Lek for the task. Please note that thefinancial proposal is all-inclusive and shall take into account various expenses incurred by theconsultant/contractor during the contract period (e.g. fee and any other relevant expensesrelated to the performance of services).
- Payment will be made as per the payment schedule in the contract upon (i) satisfactorycompletion of tasks; (ii) provision of deliverables specified in the ToRs; (iii) submission of andapproval by UN Women; and (iv) submission of the respective invoice/certificate of payments.
Recommended Presentation of Offer: Qualified and interested candidates are required to apply online:
- A Letter of Confirmation of Interest including a brief description explaining whythe individual considers her/himself as the most suitable for the assignment.
- Completed and signed UN Women Personal History Form (P11) that can be downloaded at link:UN Women Personal History Form (P11) https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/2022-07/UN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form-en.doc or http://www.unwomen.org/en/about- us/employment
- Copies/links/samples of previous research/analyses/assessments or guidelines conducted ongender equality or similar fields.
- Financial Proposal specifying a daily fee in ALL (Albanian Leke) for the tasks specified in thisassignment, following the instructions under the above section on Scope of Price Proposal andSchedule of Payments.
Evaluation of applicants: Candidate will be evaluated using a cumulative analysis method taking into consideration the combination of the applicant’ qualifications and financial proposal. Contract will be awarded to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable; and
- Having received high score out of below defined technical and financial criteria.
Technical Evaluation –70 points:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as, sports, sports management, business administrationor a related discipline. e. (20 points).
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience on research methodologies, quantitative orqualitative analysis, and data collection techniques. (20 points);
- Experience in working or/and coordinating with sports institutions or affiliates. (25 points);
- Previous experience with international organizations would be an advantage. (5 points).
Financial Evaluation – 30 points
- Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70% (49 points) in the technical evaluation would beconsidered for financial evaluation.
- The maximum number of points assigned to the financial proposal is allocated to the lowestprice proposal. All other price proposals receive points in inverse proportion. The calculationformula applied is as follow:
p = 30 (µ/z); where: p = points for the financial proposal being evaluated; µ = price of the lowest priced proposal; z = price of the proposal being evaluated.
How to Submit the Application: To submit your application online, please follow the steps below:
- Download and complete the UN Women Personal HistoryForm (P11) https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/2022-07/UN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form-en.doc
- Merge your UN Women Personal History Form (P11), the Financial Proposal, and Cover Letter intoa single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click 'Apply Now' button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click 'SubmitApplication;'
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents (underlinedabove);
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need. If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application. UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)