National/International consultant to conduct an assessment of vaccine cold chain inventory, capacity, monitoring systems and logistics and evaluate the gaps in cold-chain infrastructure for
Application deadline 1 year ago: Thursday 17 Dec 2020 at 21:55 UTCOpen application form
This is a Consultancy contract. More about Consultancy contracts.
Vaccine logistics management together with the cold chain is the backbone of all immunization programmes. In order to achieve their immunization targets, countries are scaling up their vaccination programmes by ensuring that the cold chain is maintained. As additional funding is becoming available, countries are investing in cold chain system strengthening.
With the entry of the novel COVID-19 epidemic and subsequent planned introduction of the new vaccine, this largely going to exert more pressure in the vaccine cold chain thereby burdening the immunization programmes.
Therefore, towards achieving high immunization coverage while introducing new vaccines, including vaccine against COVID-19, through equity-focused vaccination programs, the need for effective immunization supply chain remains vital. Efficient supply chains equipped with reliable cold chain equipment are important in helping Ukraine primarily to reaching children with potent lifesaving vaccines to protect them against vaccine preventable diseases and subsequently increase immunization coverage.
Also, as Ukraine has been in the path to improve its immunization coverage (before COVID-related slow-down) and expand the scope of EPI programme through initiatives such as introduction of new vaccines and Effective Vaccine Management, the need to more reliable cold chain equipment becomes even more important.
Scope of work:
Under the general guidance of the UNICEF Country Office, Regional Office, Supply Division, WHO and the MOH, the consultant will:
- Conduct an inventory assessment of cold chain, including cold storage, dry stores, monitoring systems and transport/logistics.
- Assess the current cold chain capacity & project capacity gaps by use of approved WHO Immunization sizing tool.
- Assess the refrigerated transportation available in cold chain.
- Draft a replacement plan with a budget for new cold chain and logistics, integrating the required storage capacity for new vaccines to be introduced.
- Provide recommendations for national and local level cold store based on the WHO Effective Vaccine Management format, Identify gaps for capacity building of health staff on vaccine cold chain monitoring and maintenance at national and local level.
- Conduct a workshop with MoH technical working group to validate and discuss the results of inventory, projected storage gaps, costed improvement plan and new proposed plan.
- Provide direct advice to Ministry of Health high officials in Ukraine on COVID-19 and vaccine cold chain assessment on storage capacities for the influenza vaccine and preparations for potential COVID-19 vaccine.
- Develop/update the SOPs/ guidelines on preventive maintenance of cold rooms to maximize the efficiency.
Support CCE application and development of CCE deployment plan.
Support to MoH for revision of stock management tools and SOPs.
Support to MoH to update SOPs for collection and disposal of medical waste.
- Design a customized training with supporting materials on strengthening immunization and essential health commodities supply chain. This is to cover training materials on demand planning (forecasting), inventory management, immunization logistics, effective vaccine management, cold chain management, information flow, systems design, temperature monitoring study and supportive supervision as per country context.
Deliverables outlined below, to be due on a timeline to be agreed at the start of the consultancy:
- Detailed cold chain (CC) inventory prepared/updated.
- Report on current capacity and gaps identified and complete CCE WHO Immunization Sizing Tool.
- Comprehensive CC replacement plan with action points submitted to UNICEF/MOH.
- Health Staff training gap analysis conducted, and report submitted
- Assessment of the refrigerated transportation available in cold-chain and report on transport capacity of CC system submitted.
- Consultant to provide feedback to MoH of Ukraine on CC assessment and storage capacity, provide recommendations as a base for CC replacement/expansion Plan.
- Provide inputs to National CCE operational deployment plan.
- MoH technical working group validation meeting notes prepared and submitted to UNICEF.
- Virtual workshop agenda prepared and submitted to UNICEF prior to the meetings with MOH.
- SOPs/guidelines on preventive maintenance (including waste management) developed.
- Contextualized training package on strengthening immunization and essential health commodities supply chain (including waste management) developed.
At the beginning of the assignment, the consultant is expected to produce and agree with UNICEF and Ministry of Health on a detailed work plan schedules for the assignment period.
Duration of the contract - 5 month (January-May 2021); 110 working days.
Education: Master's degree from a recognized academic institution in one or more of the following areas is preferred: HVAC / Refrigeration / Electrical / Engineering, Immunization, EPI, Health Sciences or related to vaccine cold chain supply and logistics operations in UNICEF program areas.
Professional experience: Minimum 5 years progressively responsible professional work experience at national and international levels in managing Cold chain equipment, vaccine management and supply management. Work experience with governments, working in resource-limited settings, monitoring and evaluating supply chains, and risk management and mitigation will be an asset.
Detailed knowledge of WHO/UNCIEF recommended vaccine management practices and vaccine management assessment tools;
Strong interpersonal communication and writing skills, with ability to lead/train a group of individuals and impart knowledge. Skills in adult training methodology are strongly preferred.
Language: English - fluent, Russian/Ukrainian - an advantage
Skills and competencies: Product knowledge on cold chain equipment, new cold chain technologies and understanding of the principles of vaccine management, data management analysis and reporting are essential. Knowledge of procurement processes and good distribution practice will be an asset.
Working with People – II lvl.
Drive for results – II lvl.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Please fill in the form properly and indicate your daily fee, travel lump sum and total fee to complete the assignment.