National Individual Contractor- C4D Research and Knowledge Management, Accra, Ghana
Application deadline 10 months ago: Wednesday 12 Aug 2020
This is a Consultancy contract. More about Consultancy contracts.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child,
Communication for Development (C4D) and related community engagement strategies are central to achieving each of the five goals of UNICEF’s Ghana Strategic Plan. C4D is a cross-cutting, evidence- based process that uses a mix of communication tools, channels and approaches to facilitate participation and engagement with children, families, communities, government, policy makers and networks for positive social and behavior change in both development and humanitarian contexts. C4D’s primary purpose of supporting the achievement of the Strategic Plan results and outcomes fall into four broad areas including: positive behavior and social change; engagement and empowerment of children and communities; effective communication and community engagement in humanitarian action; creation of an enabling environment for social and behavior change. C4D Unit uses system strengthening, capacity development, community engagement and evidence generation approaches.
How can you make a difference?
The incumbent would be an experienced and competent professional to support the C4D Unit in the design of tools and roll out of research for C4D interventions, strengthen project knowledge management by putting in place of a robust M&E system and E-library, conduct data mining as well as provide co-ordination for field visits and monitoring of behaviour and social change communication interventions aimed at development practices in line with the UNICEF Country Programme Document.
- Tasks to be completed
- Manage C4D-related research and integration of its results to the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of C4D interventions.
- Work with UNICEF, NGOs and other partners to complete and validate list of successful SBCC interventions.
- Collect regular field data to assess project results and impacts on C4D strategies and activities for analysis and improvement of measurable behavioral and social change in interventions.
- Provide technical expertise to the development and roll out of communication package for an evidence-based Behavior and Social Change Communication Strategy following research on ECD and Positive Parenting.
- Provide SBCC technical expertise for technology- based partners (Viamo, Savana Signatures, Literacy Bridge) to use new technology and other available innovative communication platforms to achieve maximum C4D impacts, including generating quality data for participatory engagement with participants such as adolescents, young people and caregivers.
- Contribute to the development and organization of training/orientation activities on research for government stakeholder, CSOs and other partners at national and sub-national levels as required.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to provide research expertise and other technical support to the design of C4D strategies, and research, develop, test, produce and use quality C4D materials and/or organize events and activities to ensure maximum impact on behavioral and social change of target audience.
- Deliverables and time frame for submission
The contract will cover the period of August 2020 – July 2021 for 11.5 months shown in the table below
Specific Key deliverables
Manage C4D-related research and integration of its results to the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of C4D interventions.
Development of a C4D research protocol that includes data sources, interviews and focus groups plans and other instruments.
M&E framework developed with programme indicators updated quarterly for data analytics and reporting.
Support for the organisation of the internal reflection workshop to guide integration of C4D research in programme activities.
Provide technical expertise to the development and roll out of communication package for an evidence-based Behavior and Social Change Communication Strategy following research on ECD and Positive Parenting.
Development of SBCC plan and information package on ECD and Positive Parenting based on the recent study.
Coordination of implementation and dissemination of the materials
Work with UNICEF, NGOs and other partners to complete and validate list of successful SBCC interventions.
Analysis of C4D-related interventions across UNICEF Ghana to determine how they have changed and sustained changes on behaviour and social change dynamics.
Collect regular field data to assess project results and impacts on C4D strategies and activities for analysis and improvement of measurable behavioral and social change in interventions.
Data collection through field work, online meetings, interviews with key partners, meetings with stakeholders, focus group discussions, site visits, etc.
Provide SBCC technical expertise for technology- based partners (Viamo, Savana Signatures, Literacy Bridge) to use new technology and other available innovative communication platforms to achieve maximum C4D impacts, including generating quality data for participatory engagement with participants such as adolescents, young people and caregivers.
At least three knowledge briefs completed based on data generated from C4D interventions including adolescents and innovation interventions.
Two adolescents participatory content workshops held in the southern and Northern zones to harmonize C4D messaging and summary of recommendations are prepared.
Contribute to the development and organization of training/orientation activities on research for government stakeholders, CSOs and other partners at national and sub-national levels as required.
Two knowledge exchange workshops on best practice in SBCC and C4D approaches for key stakeholders.
Coordination of regular exchange of lessons learnt on SBCC across key government and NGOs partners.
Collaborate with internal and external partners to provide research expertise and other technical support to the design of C4D strategies, and research, develop, test.
Support the country office with the evidence generation, with a focus on roll out of behaviour change interventions and relevant studies.
Produce and use quality C4D materials and/or organize events and activities to ensure maximum impact on behavioral and social change of target audience as necessary.
Final report submitted with overall summary of the consultancy work including case study, lessons learnt and recommendations
- Official travel involved:
In view of the current COVID-19 travel restrictions, and when UNICEF vehicle is available for the consultant’s field travels outside Accra, all UN protocol procedure and clearances must be confirmed prior to commencing travel. In the event that UNICEF vehicle is not available, the consultant may be reimbursed the cost for such field visits based on pre-agreed lumpsum. A travel plan and all travel related costs must be pre-agreed with supervisor and in consultation with the Admin section.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master's or higher) in the social/behavioural sciences (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, development studies, community-based development) or in a related field with emphasis on participatory communication, communication planning, social mobilization.
- Five years relevant professional experience in Social and Behavioral Change Communication project design and implementation, research and training's as well as M&E for behavior change impacts
- Technical knowledge and experience in at least one technical areas of childhood development (child health and nutrition, education, child protection, social services for children and families) is an asset
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven skills in networking, advocacy and capacity building.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are...
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
In addition to your application, please upload an updated CV and a two -page write up of how you will carry out this assignment. Please indicate your monthly professional fee in GHC.