NATIONAL GIS AND DATA MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST
Application deadline 9 months ago: Wednesday 15 Dec 2021 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
The Integrated Sustainable Land and Coastal Management (ISLCM) project is a five-year project funded by the Global Environment Facility (GEF) in partnership with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the Vanuatu Government. FAO is the Implementing Agency (IA) and is providing the technical support to the Vanuatu Government in implementing the project. The Ministry of Climate Change, Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources and Ministry of Agriculture, Quarantine, Forestry and Fisheries are the Executing Agencies and national counterparts for the project. The project will be working closely with other partners within the public and private sectors as well as with members of the Non-Government Organizations (NGOs). The overall goal of the project is to test and implement sustainable and integrated management of forest, land and marine resources to achieve effective ridge-to-reef (R2R) conservation in selected priority watersheds in Vanuatu.
Under the overall administrative leadership of the FAO Sub-regional Representative for the Pacific Islands in Samoa, technical leadership of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO), and under direct supervision and technical management of CTA and the NPC, including close consultations with, AFAOR Country office, Vanuatu, national counterparts in Government, the National GIS & Data management Specialist will undertake the duties and responsibilities outlined below.
The overall objective of the assignment is to strengthen the coordination lines between FAO Vanuatu GEF projects and the projects and to support the preparation of various non-spatial and spatial data survey and data collection tools, capacity building and development of an interactive GIS web-portal as part of the SDI to be established within the Department of Forest in Vanuatu.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
The National GIS & Data management Specialist will act as the focal point and provide coordination support and reporting between DoF and FAO and the GEF’s PMU particularly on DRM related issues. The National GIS & Data management Specialist will be under the direct and with overall supervision and guidance from the CTA of the GEF GCP/VAN/001/VAN AND GCP/VAN/003/GFF projects:
Tasks and responsibilities
- Involve in the design and development of the interactive GIS web-portal
- Involve in the development of the mobile GIS-based asset condition inspection methods and tools and provide updates.
- Produce Analytical GIS Products and Quarterly Reports
- Perform other relevant duties as maybe assigned
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- National of Vanuatu or resident in the country with a regular work permit
- A university degree related to biology and natural resources management
- At least 5 years of experience related to GIS&DM biodiversity conservation and natural resource management
- Working knowledge of English and Bislama
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Ability to lead and work as part of a multidisciplinary team and to collaborate effectively with project partners
- Strong drafting, presentation and reporting skills;
- Strong computer skills, in particular mastery of all applications of the MS Office package and internet search