National Experts for preparation of National Youth Strategy
Application deadline 4 months ago: Friday 16 Sep 2022 at 00:00 UTCOpen application form
This is a Consultancy contract. More about Consultancy contracts.
The Agency of Youth and Sport (AYS) is the key Mission partner in the field of youth and youth policies. The AYS is the primary state body with the mandate of promoting youth interests and advocating for solutions of youth problems and needs. The Mission will continue to support the AYS in implementation of the Law on Youth Participation and Youth Policies (LYPYP), particularly in the development of a new national youth strategy in compliance with the LYPYP. As per the foreseen project activities in 2022, the Mission will support the preparation of the new National Youth Strategy (2023-2027) in an inclusive, democratic and transparent manner following international standards of developing national youth policy including its Action Plans. The AYS covered the costs for evidence-based nationwide research, while the Mission will provide internal expertise and hire local experts to develop the text of the strategy based on the AYS research results and to facilitate focus groups and thematic meetings. The process of preparation of the National Youth Strategy including its Action Plans, together with the Mission, is supported by the UNDP and UNFPA. As per the Methodology for preparation of the National Youth Strategy (2023-2027) and its Action Plan (2023-2024), eight thematic priory areas were identified. In this regard, the Mission will hire four national experts for each of the following thematic areas*:
1. youth participation, 2. youth work, 3. youth informing, and 4. security.
*Candidates are requested to indicate their expertise in the specific thematic area and of years of experience in their Cover letter, referring to the listed requirements.
Objective of Assignment:
The main objective of this consultancy engagement is to have the National Experts lead four (4) thematic area(s) of responsibility: youth participation, youth work, youth informing and security, and to contribute to the overall development of the National Youth Strategy (2023-2027).
Duration of Assignment:
The foreseen period of engagement will be from October – December 2022, not exceeding 22 working days per expert.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The National Experts will be engaged for the following tasks:
- Lead the Working Group per thematic area covered by OSCE: youth participation; youth work; youth informing; and security;
- Develop the layout of the content of the thematic area of responsibility for in-person, online and offline consultation processes;
- Prepare call for participants / questionnaire for the online consultation process in the thematic area of responsibility;
- Lead the consultation process in the area of responsibility, establish strategic priorities as per the Methodology for preparation of National Youth Strategy (2023-2027);
- Conduct thematic area sessions with relevant stakeholders, state and non-state, as part of the process of drafting of the new Strategy;
- Facilitate and moderate at least two focus group discussions in the thematic area of responsibility aiming at receiving input on the new Strategy and share the written inputs with Lead experts, AYS, OSCE and project partners (UNDP and UNFPA);
- Draft the thematic area of responsibility of the National Youth Strategy;
- Participate and be actively involved in regular meetings with the Lead Experts, AYS, OSCE and project partners;
- Coordinate and communicate with the relevant government representatives involved in the process;
- Analyze the received information from the online process and prepare written report from the entire development of the Strategy;
- Regularly coordinate with the Project Manager throughout all stages of the process, as well with project partners and AYS;
- Maintain confidentiality throughout the assignment and preparation process of the National Youth Strategy. In case of requests from the media for public statements, such statements, limited to the content of his/her assignment, shall be provided upon approval of the OSCE Project Manager and clearance of the Mission’s CMRU. His/her statements do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the OSCE Mission to Skopje.
1. Get familiarized with the Methodology for the preparation of the National Youth Strategy and relevant legislation/policy documents:
- Conduct a desk review of all relevant documentation, namely the Methodology for the preparation of the National Youth Strategy and relevant legislation / policy documents in the thematic area of responsibility;
- Participate in all meetings with the Agency and Youth and Sport, UNDP, the partners, and other relevant stakeholders involved in the process.
2. Prepare and lead the online and offline consultation processes:
- Prepare and lead 1-day kick-off conference, i.e. thematic area of responsibility with all relevant stakeholders and young people;
- Prepare and lead 2-days conference with all relevant stakeholders as consultation of the draft Strategy;
- In cooperation with the other thematic national experts, prepare the questionnaire for an online consultation;
- Analyze the received information from the online process and prepare written report.
3. Prepare first draft of the National Youth Strategy based on consolidated inputs from the consultation process:
- Consolidate the inputs from the thematic consultation processes into a draft for thematic area of the National Youth Strategy;
- Provide quality control of the prepared documents ensuring adherence to the principles from the Methodology for the preparation of the National Development Strategy.
- Provide first Draft of the thematic chapter of responsibility for the first draft National Youth Strategy that will be published for consultation.
4. Prepare the thematic area of responsibility chapter for the National Youth Strategy:
- Consolidate the inputs from the online and offline consultation process on the draft version of the National Youth Strategy;
- Attend the isolation session with all national experts; Lead experts; OSCE, AYS, UNDP, and UNFPA representatives, and prepare the consolidated version of the chapter of thematic area of responsibility.
5. Prepare final report of the assignment and recommendations for the process.
- Citizenship of or permanent residence in the Republic of North Macedonia;
- First-level University degree in law, social and security sciences, human rights. Second level degree will be considered as asset;
- Minimum 2 (two) years of relevant experience in preparation of strategic and policy documents, strategic thinking or similar experience in facilitating multidisciplinary working groups on specific thematic areas;
- Minimum 5 (five) years of proven working experience and knowledge in the area of youth participation and youth policies, youth work, youth informing, youth and security field, including working with youth;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Proven ability in effective process consultation (facilitation and team integration);
- Fluency in Macedonian and English language, spoken and written;
- Computer literacy with practical experience with Microsoft applications;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national, cultural and professional backgrounds, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities.
Remuneration shall be based on established OSCE rates, depending primarily on the nature of required services (e.g. complexity, difficulty and amount of work to be performed and the level of expertise required).
Payment will be made upon successful completion of all tasks and responsibilities, as per the Terms of Reference.
The foreseen period of engagement is from October to December 2022.
If you wish to apply, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://vacancies.osce.org
Please note that applications received after the deadline, submitted in different formats than the OSCE Online Application Form or in other languages than the English language would not be considered.
The recruitment procedure may take up to two months and we will be in further contact with you only if you are selected for an interview. The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, or offer the position with modified terms of reference or a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages the nomination of qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds.
The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.
- Issued by: OSCE Mission to Skopje
- Requisition ID: DEM000032
- Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant
- Grade: No grade
- Job Type: Consultant
- Number of posts: 4
- Location: OSCE Mission to Skopje, Skopje
- Issue Date: Sep 6, 2022
- Closing Date: Sep 16, 2022
- Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (First-level university degree or equivalent)
- Job Field: Democratization
- Target Start Date: October 2022