National Environmental and Safeguard Specialist
Application deadline 4 days ago: Thursday 30 Nov 2023 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
FAO Representation in Sierra Leone implements an integrated food security programme, focusing on diversification of livelihoods, managing natural resources and building resilience. The office employs diverse team of experts locally, but also attracts the available technical experts from the region and the Head Quarters (HQ). FAO works in close partnership with the Government of Sierra Leone, farmers and other stakeholders, supporting plans and policies that affect the food and nutrition security in the country; our work is part of the corporate commitment to support countries to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030, especially SDG 2 on Zero Hunger.
The National ESIA and Safeguard Consultant reports to the FAOR, Sierra Leone. On technical front, the ESIA/Safeguard Consultant must engage and consult with the International Environmental and Social Assessment Expert, the Regional Project Coordinator and coordinate and liaise with the Forest/Environment/Climate (FEC) Projects Coordinator, the National Project Coordinator, AFAOR, Head of Programmes and the REDD Focal Person appointed by the Government.
The National ESIA and Safeguard Consultant will conduct detailed environmental and social impact assessment and provide comprehensive report with environmental safeguard measures to use. S/he must be technically inclined to undertake comprehensive environmental and social impact assessment and provide environmental safeguards and guidelines for the country. The Environmental, social Assessment and Safeguards Consultant will provide a technical support to the REDD National Coordination and the Safeguards Technical Working Group for all activities related to environmental and social assessment and safeguards. He/she will also provide guidelines for the development of the Safeguards Information System for the country. S/he will also lead and provide guidelines for the development of the Safeguards Information System, the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF)/Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP).
Tasks and responsibilities
• Support activity 22.214.171.124 in collaboration with a national communication and stakeholder engagement consultant • Conduct the assessment of REDD strategic options in order to increase environmental and social performance of the REDD national strategy under activity 126.96.36.199 (Assess REDD strategic options to increase environmental and social performance of the REDD national strategy) for Sierra Leone; • Implement activity 188.8.131.52 (Develop the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) for the national REDD strategy) and activity 184.108.40.206 (Conduct a national workshop to validate the REDD national strategy and the ESMF) for Sierra Leone; • Activity 220.127.116.11 Establish a Safeguards technical working group (STWG) to support all process related to safeguards. Based on the deliverable 18.104.22.168a, an Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) for the national REDD strategy will be developed. • Activity 22.214.171.124 Undertake a national interpretation of the Cancun safeguards • Activity 126.96.36.199 Develop the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) for the national REDD strategy • Activity 188.8.131.52 Conduct a national workshop to validate the REDD national strategy and the ESMF • Perform other tasks as may be requested by his/her supervisor and the Regional Coordinator. • Project management and administration • Provide advice on project monitoring for the achievement of results at the output, outcome and impact levels; • Lead and liaise with the Project Management Unit (PMU) in all aspects of the project work and coordinate project activities at national, district, and site levels. • Develop project work plan and identify risks that may affect project results and apply corresponding mitigation strategies. • Develop an effective monitoring and evaluation system for project deliverables • Ensure proportional approach, cohesion and coordination between different components within the country • Work with the PMU to address obstacles and challenges • Ensure the integration of cross-cutting issues, such as gender, communication and human rights, monitoring and evaluation. • Ensure good coordination and collaboration with governments, beneficiaries, key stakeholders etc. • Represent the project in national/international fora on REDD and climate adaptation/mitigation. • Provide policy advice and knowledge management: • Provide strategic policy advice to relevant Ministries, Department and Agencies and other partners on issues related to REDD . • Lead and direct in knowledge management and capacity strengthening at national level;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental studies, forestry, or related field that is relevant for the assignment. • Minimum of 5 years of experience in development and project/program management. • Working knowledge of English • National of Sierra Leone
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus • Teamwork • Communication • Building Effective Relationships • Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement`
Technical/ Functional Skills
• In depth understanding of concepts and actions on REDD and climate change. • Ability to lead and coordinate the project teams in communication, stakeholder engagement and information sharing and management. • Strong analytical skills and ability to synthesize large amount of data into analytical and practical knowledge/ information. • Extensive professional experience in coordination of multicounty projects/programmes.
• Experience in working with Government • Working knowledge of additional languages will be considered an advantage
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.