National Consultant -Digital Agriculture Solutions
Application deadline 1 year ago: Monday 1 Mar 2021 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
The mandate of FAO in Jamaica, Belize and Bahamas is to support national efforts to promote food security and sustainable development. In doing so, FAO works closely with the Ministries of Agriculture, Health and Education. Recently, FAO has begun to expand its partnership to include other ministries to reflect its focus on food security and nutrition. Its beneficiaries have also been expanded to include urban and peri-urban populations.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Country Representative for Jamaica, Bahamas and Belize; the technical supervision of Senior Policy Officer – Food Security and Nutrition, the Regional Nutrition Officer and the Food Security Officer for the Caribbean and in close coordination with the National Correspondent in Bahamas and the Minister’s Focal Point;
The National Consultant Digital Agriculture Solutions will support the FAO Representative and the Assistant FAO Representative Program to deliver the expected Output 2 Capacity building of the Extension Service Unit of MAMR in different training methodologies to improve the productivity and sustainability of small-holder farms; Output 3 Capacity building of the Cooperative Department of MAMR in rural business development, including processing, distribution and commercialization and also the Output 4 Technical assistance is provided for a policy and governance framework that sustainably integrates the outputs from the incubator programme and other local food production into the national school feeding programme.
Tasks and responsibilities
He/she will work closely with the Incubator team to :
- Facilitate, under the coordination of the FAOR Bahamas, provide information to the government decision makers to develop a programmatic process to plan, implement and monitor the expected results of the project TCP BHA 3801 (D).
- In collaboration with the national coordinator, provide information to the government decision makers to develop a strategic plan to consolidate and institutionalize a national policy public to promote inclusive, sustainable and resilient food systems in the poorest areas of the country considering the new normal situation and response to the covid-19.
- Develop appropriate digital solutions or models for an agriculture business incubator; micro-business planning methodology; Farmer Field School train-the-trainer workshops and Farmer Field School implementations.
- Support the integration of digital training materials for the target audience – young adults, rural women and agricultural extension personnel.
- Provide technical assistance to micro-entrepreneurs to develop and implement business plans integrating appropriate digital agro technologies to produce, commercialize and add value to the food system in the Grand Bahama and Abaco islands.
- Provide technical assistance, with focus in digital agriculture issues, to plan and execute value chain and feasibility analysis to inform entrepreneurs’ business plan development.
- Provide technical assistance for the micro-entrepreneurs coming out of the business incubator to implement their business plans using appropriate digital technologies.
- Provide technical support to develop a practical guide for agriculture value chain analysis and develop local capacity to use it to carry out the analysis to inform business plans coming out of the agriculture business incubator.
- Provide support, under the coordinator incubator team, to identify and mobilize finance to support the youth and rural women in the selected communities by the government.
- Contribute to the incubator team to provide methodological tools and training materials elaborated to promote market linkages with domestic (with a particular focus on school feeding and other institutional markets), and regional and international markets.
In implementing the activities, the expert must take FAO’s Gender Policy into consideration, ensuring to the extent possible, that there is equity in the benefits accrued to women and men as well as young persons. Gender and age disaggregated data should be collected and presented for all meetings, training and other activities. In addition, the following specific tasks will be undertaken.
- Provide support to the incubator team
- Follow up work plan implementation
- Ensure regular communication with multi-sectorial stakeholders and the Technical and Steering Committees to ensure efficient flow of information between implementing partners and support agencies
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Agriculture Education Technology, Digital Education or related degree
- At least seven  years of relevant professional experience in Agriculture Education Technology and Digital Education.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- National of Bahamas or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Previous related experience in the Caribbean region
- Understanding of and experience in the development and implementation of projects related to rural development, agri-business and food security management system
- Skills and experience in engaging with public sector agencies
- Well-developed inter-personal skills and a demonstrated experience of working in a cross-cultural environment; and,
- Excellent writing skills, strong networking and relationship building skills, excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Prior demonstrated relevant experience designing projects and programs in particular those related to rural development
- Previous work with an international organization or UN organization preferred
- Experience in leading interdisciplinary teams
- Good documentation, record keeping and report-writing skills