Application deadline 1 month ago: Sunday 9 May 2021
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the general supervision of the Chief Medical Officer (CMO), the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Undertake day-to-day clinical duties, e.g. walk-in clinic, pre-placement and periodic medical examinations, immunizations, etc;
- Ensure smooth clinical work flow at the clinic, supervise clinic and laboratory staff and delegate duties to the Nurses;
- Ensure readiness for rapid response to medical emergencies and casualties. Ensure preparedness of Forward Medical Teams for deployment to casualty sites;
- Ensure availability of medicines, hospital consumables and emergency lifesaving drugs at all times;
- Coordinate with the Nurses, Laboratory technicians and Pharmacy staff to ensure a timely requisition for medicines and medical supplies and Laboratory reagents needed in the clinic;
- Ensure monthly return on the consumption pattern of medicines and medical supplies used in the clinic;
- Liaise with UN Aviation Officer and UN Security Coordinator for air evacuation of critical cases to next Level-II/III hospitals or a higher medical facilities outside the mission area, in consultation with the CMO;
- Collaborate with the NGOs and other Humanitarian Medical units operating in the region in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer when necessary;
- Provide health education and participate in addressing work environment and occupational health issues in his/her duty station;
- Coordinate with Staff Counselors to support staff members with mental health issues;
- Collaborate with TCC, PCC, and other UN medical units in the regions during medical and casualty evacuations;
- Perform as part of the emergency response team and will as such work closely with UNDSS/UNMISS security in implementing mass casualty response;
- Perform any other duties as may be required.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- Degree in Medicine;
- Having valid Certificate/License of BLS (Basic Life Support) and ACLS (Advance Cardiac Life Support).
- Registered medical practitioner with at least 5 years working experience in the medical field;
- Experience in tropical diseases an asset;
- Experience in UN mission or other international agency is desirable.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise:
General human medicine (with clinical experience)
Area of expertise details:
- Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word); other IT applications and office technology equipment;
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System;
- Sound security awareness.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 09 May 2021