M&E Technology Specialist
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education and power.
To ensure that we are effectively carrying out our mission, we have committed to implement outcome-driven and evidence-based programs, measure what we achieve, act on what we learn, and generate new and relevant evidence. We need to produce high-quality data that can inform decision-making while also meeting donor requirements. The Measurement Unit is responsible for global guidance, resources and coordination to ensure that staff across all our programs are equipped with the skills and tools they need to generate and manage the right data for programmatic decision-making across the IRC. IRC’s M&E efforts rely heavily on technology platforms, and IRC’s Measurement Strategic Plan calls for further investment in and commitment to technology for M&E. Over the coming 2-3 years, the Measurement Technology Team (which sits at the intersection of the Measurement Unit and IT) will design, deliver and support a more comprehensive technology stack for M&E, ensuring Crisis Response, Recovery and Development (CRRD) program, technical and M&E staff have access to more comprehensive technology platforms to improve program delivery.
Focused on M&E technology support, the successful candidate will be a member of the team responsible for developing, implementing, and supporting IRC’s global technology tools. This includes CommCare, Microsoft Power BI and Microsoft SQL Server Azure based products. Working in partnership with staff at various levels and locations, the M&E Technology Specialist performs a key role in analyzing, developing, and improving tools and processes contributing to the successful rollout of the M&E Technology products.
Specific tasks include development of applications in CommCare, dashboard development work in Power BI, software and data quality assurance, technical assistance including issue routing on helpdesk, second line support, and participation in setting standards for processes, security, and systems configurations.
1. Application Development and Data Visualization.
- Develop and improve applications to support data collection tools using CommCare and ODK tools. - Support the development and rollout of organization-wide and sector specific dashboard products using Excel and Power BI. - Work with M&E, data teams, and other stakeholders in requirements gathering and analysis to inform development or improvement of M&E technology products. - Develop documentation for M&E data collection tools and dashboard products. This includes user guides, setup manuals, training materials, and other communication materials. - Provide technology training to the business teams, deployment teams and end users on various M&E products. - Support standards for data protection, confidentiality and data security for the M&E systems and collaborate with key teams in IT security and protection teams for guidance as needed.
2. Technology Support
• Provide technical support and backstopping to field staff using M&E applications developed.
• In liaison with regional ICT and M&E teams, consolidate change requests, bugs and feature improvements.
• Address tier II technology support requests and/or triaging to the relevant lead developer for resolution.
• Administer helpdesk for the M&E Technology team in ensuring issues reported are resolved within the specified SLAs.
3. Quality Assurance
• Participate in the design, implementation, and operation of data quality processes as they apply to M&E data applications.
• Support on quality assurance efforts during product development including on setting up of test plans and executing those test cases.
• Support on developer code reviews and pair-programming as necessary.
4. Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- At least five years’ experience in developing and rolling out of M&E technology tools using CommCare or similar ODK-based data platforms. - At least three years’ experience developing, implementing, and supporting M&E analytics and dashboard products using Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, Excel or similar applications. - Ability to effectively communicate in English both in verbal (i.e., day-to-day discussions, team meetings) and written (requirements and design specifications) form, as well as an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications. - Strong analytic curiosity and innovative problem-solving skills using a system thinking approach. - Demonstrable ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional team structure. - Demonstrable ability to establish and maintain working relationships across all departments and levels of the organization.
- Advanced level experience of CommCare application development and Power BI dashboard development. - Advanced level experience of MS Excel including developing macros and consolidating data from multiple Excel spreadsheets. - Experience working with SQL, DAX, Power Query and similar Microsoft data transformation and manipulation languages. - Experience providing support for enterprise-level platforms with significant numbers of users across global time zones and varying IT infrastructure. - Direct experience implementing programs or M&E in an international NGO context. - Ability to speak, read and understand one other language including French, Spanish and/or Arabic is a strong advantage.
- Standard office working environment or remote work. - Some international travel may be required for capacity support visits.