Local Expert on drafting SOP and training manual
Application deadline 1 day ago: Sunday 2 Oct 2022 at 00:00 UTCOpen application form
This is a Consultancy contract. More about Consultancy contracts.
Background:The impact of uncontrolled proliferation and illegal possession of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW), ammunition and explosives continue to constitute a major threat to public safety, social and economic development in Albania. Poorly controlled and illegal SALW, ammunition and explosives sustain criminal elements and organized crime, by enabling violence and insecurity. All of these aspects have very negative effects on security and confidence of the general public – thus undermining the law enforcement measures of the Albanian authorities in the country and the region. Therefore, the project “Assisting the national authorities of the Republic of Albania to decrease the risk of weapon proliferation and misuse of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW)” aims to support the Republic of Albania’s efforts to implement OSCE commitments in the field of preventing and combating SALW proliferation, thus contributing to regional security and stability in the country. This project will contribute to one of main priority areas as identified by the Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Albania and the Albanian State Police by supporting the development of an Standard Operational Procedure (SOP) for the use of K9 capacity which will provide guidance to the MoI personnel on how to manage, maintain, educate, qualify, and deploy K9 capacity in a standardized and unified way. In order to achieve this project objective the PIT in close consultations with Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Albanian and the Albanian State Police will support the establishment and deliberations of a designated working group. This group will be tasked to develop the SOP as well as develop a K9 Master Plan for the modernization of the capability, which will map, sequence and prioritize each K9 capacity in need of support and actions to be undertaken over the period of next 3 to 5 years. Pursuant to these two documents the WG with the task to develop a Training Manual on the training and the deployment of K9 capacity in detecting SALW pursuant to the newly promulgated SOP for the use of K9 capacity. The TM will provide uniformed application, interpretation, and guidance to the MoI and ASP personnel about the proper and timely deployment of K9 in order to achieve the optimal success in detection of SALW, ammunition and explosives Therefore, the Project is now recruiting one national expert to assist and complement the work of the international K9 consultant and liaise with the working group in the process of developing the SOP and the K9 Master Plan, as well as Training Manual
Objective of Assignment:
Support and complement the work of the international consultant as well as the work of the working group (WG) in the process of developing a Zero Draft SOP for the use of K9 that will advance the current capacities and develop new capabilities (including but not limited to professional development, management, maintenance, education, training, deployment etc.), with a specific focus on the capacity development in detecting and investigating SALW, ammunition and explosives related cases.
Under this assessment the consultant will also support the international consultant and the WG in the process of developing a K9 Master plan for the modernization of the capability, which will map, sequence and prioritize each K9 capacity in need of support, and actions to be undertaken by the project as well as actions to be pursued by other bilateral partners.
Pursuant to the successful completion of the development of an SOP, and the Master Plan, consultant will provide support to the WG and international consultant with the task to develop a Training Manual on the training and the deployment of K9 capacity in detecting SALW pursuant to the newly promulgated SOP for the use of K9 capacity. The Training Manual will provide uniformed application, interpretation, and guidance to MoI and ASP personnel about the proper selection, training, management, and timely deployment of K9 unit in order to achieve the optimal success in detection of SALW, ammunition and explosives.
Duration of Assignment: The work will be spread out over the period from (earliest) 03 October 2022 to 15 September 2023, with the exact distribution over this period of time defined with the expert upon selection
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under direct supervision of the National Project Officer the national expert is expected to:
- Support and complement the work of international consultant in the development of a first draft of a K9 SOP by reviewing the Zero draft, providing information and insight relevant for better understanding of relevant opportunities and boundaries constraints thus ensuring proper understanding of local legal, institutional and operational contexts, as well as possible constraints in the process of K9 modernisation;
- Provide support and guidance to the Working Group in developing and finalising the SOP until the document is proposed to be promulgated (i.e. transposing the international principles into functional processes properly embedded in the organizational chart of the beneficiary, operationalised by human and other resources at the disposal of the beneficiary, etc.);
- Support and complement the work of the international consultant in drafting a Master Plan by ensuring better understanding local legal, operational contexts, as well as possible constraints in the process of K9 modernisation;
- Provide support and guidance to the Working Group in developing and finalising the Master Plan ensuring that the document envisages evidence based and information-led transformation plan based on advancement of policy, processes, training, knowledge, and overall effectiveness of K9 Unit in detecting SALW, ammunition and explosives;
- Provide support and guidance to the Working Group in drafting, developing, and finalising the training manual on the due application of a SoP; by ensuring better understanding local legal, operational contexts, capacities as well as possible constraints in the process of K9 modernisation
- Provide assistance in delivering K9 Training course (theoretical/ practical part) pursuant to the finalised and adopted TM, which will support the other potential trainers.
- Facilitate, support and liaise where necessary between international experts and local beneficiaries in obtaining further information and details necessary for the successful completion of the project activities;
- Ensure that all proposals presented by the international consultant meet the local legal and institutional requirements and could be implemented in a sustainable manner with a successful transfer of ownership to the local beneficiary;
- Conduct in-country site visits both independently and in support to international consultant or the WG, as needed, to assess K9 locations (functionality, effectiveness and accommodation capacities) and report to the international consultant accordingly
- Participate in person/online in the national and regional working groups, participate in different meetings with Ministry of Interior personnel and departments and other counterparts and moderate all the conversations during working group meetings;
- Be in close communication with the working group members as appropriate, report progress to SALW project implementation team throughout the assignment, and conduct continuously online or in person meetings in Albania with all project parties;
- Prepare and deliver a monthly progress reports to be submitted as per requested project implementation team template.
- Support the translation, and copy editing of the SOP and Master Plan accordingly if requested by the Project.
The national consultant will work home based.
- After receiving the first draft SOP for the use of K9 capacity prepared from International consultant, the expert will amend while ensuring incorporation of proper understanding of local legal, institutional and operational contexts, as well as possible constraints in the process of K9 modernisation
- First Draft SoP for the use of K9 capacity to be provided in up to 50 pages, single spacing, font 12 Times new Roman
- Supplements and amendments to the Draft of the SOP for the use of K9 capacity prepared by the WG, as well as to the Zero draft of the K9 Master Plan developed by the international consultant by understanding local legal, operational contexts, as well as possible constraints in the process of K9 modernisation
- This deliverable will be provided by the consultant in up to 70 pages, single spacing, font 12 Times new Roman
- Supplements and amendments to the final draft of the Master plan to be delivered by the Working Group, consultant shall provide written inputs that would be further and focus the deliberations of the Working group, as well as an expert opinion how the proposed document will ensure that the assistance and advice envisaged by the Master Plan will ensure institutionalization of new capability and change management.
- This deliverable will be provided by the consultant in up to 25 pages, single spacing, font 12 Times new Roman
- After receive of the first Draft of a Training Manual on the due application of the SoP prepared by the international expert, the expert will amend by ensuring better understanding local legal, operational contexts, capacities as well as possible constraints in the process of K9 modernisation, thus ensuring provision of uniformed application, interpretation, and guidance to the MoI and ASP personnel about the proper selection, training, management, and timely deployment of K9
- This deliverable will be provided by the consultant in up to 70 pages, single spacing, font 12 Times new Roman
- Delivery of the K9 Training course (either theoretical or practical part, pursuant to the prior agreement with the WG) in accordance with the finalised and adopted TM
- This deliverable will be provided by the consultant with up to one day theoretical or practical training lessons delivered in support of the 10-day Training Course on the due application of the SoP
- Advanced university degree in a security or/and defence studies or university degree in social sciences
- A minimum of four years experience in developing and drafting comprehensive materials and documentations, especially following under the EU legislative framework
- Demonstrated experience in drafting SOPs and master plans
- Demonstrated experience in developing Training Manuals and delivery of courses
- Research, analytical and organizational skills;
- Ability to work and deliver under tight deadlines while coordinating inputs from various stakeholders;
- Excellent spoken and written legal English;
- Excellent presentation skills and computer literate;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
Remuneration will be based on the selected consultant's/expert's qualifications, experience, the tasks and deliverables for this position and in accordance with the OSCE established rates.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://vacancies.osce.org/.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise/re-post the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
Only those candidates who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.
- Issued by: OSCE Presence in Albania
- Requisition ID: SEC00001X
- Contract Type: Special Service Agreement (SSA) / Consultant
- Grade: No grade
- Job Type: Consultant
- Number of posts: 1
- Location: OSCE Presence in Albania, Tirana
- Issue Date: Sep 22, 2022
- Closing Date: Oct 2, 2022