Lead Civil Engineer
Application deadline 2 months ago: Sunday 13 Sep 2020
This is a LICA Specialist-10 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. It usually requires 5 years of experience, depending on education. More about LICA Specialist-10 contracts.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
Thailand Operations Hub (THOH) is a UNOPS business unit under the UNOPS Asia Regional Office and it was established to better support, develop and oversee the UNOPS portfolio of projects in South East Asia and the Pacific.
The Hub comprises three main portfolios –THOH Thailand, THOH Indonesia and THOH Pacific and provides a wide range of services including Project Management, Transactional HR, Financial, and Procurement to clients that include other UN entities, INGOs and governments/government agencies donors.
PNG COVID-19 Emergency Response Project
With funding from the World Bank Group (WB), and in partnership with the National Department of Health of Papua New Guinea (NDOH), UNOPS is assisting the Government of Papua New Guinea (PNG) to reduce the spread of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country.
The primary objective of this project is to provide NDOH and in turn health facilities across PNG with the key equipment which will strengthen the testing capacity for COVID-19, including, inter alia, providing containerized laboratory, laboratory equipment, medical furniture, cartridges, reagents, consumables, and supporting transportation costs for transporting COVID-19 samples within the Recipient’s territory and to reference laboratory abroad for quality control.
In accordance with the relevant UNOPS / WB Environmental and Social Standards, UNOPS will provide the technical details relevant to the environmental, health and safety risks associated with the operation and decommissioning of equipment as relevant to inform NDOH due diligence. UNOPS will also ensure that the environmental, social, health and safety risks associated with the supply and transportation of goods, the transportation and installation of equipment, are assessed and effectively managed.
To support and supervise the infrastructure activities of this project, namely the installation, minor works and site preparation for equipment such as incinerators, containerized laboratoires and solar panels, UNOPS is hiring a consultant for the position of Lead Civil Engineer.
Under the general guidance of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent is responsible for:
- Provide advice and coordination on all potential and ongoing infrastructure works;
- Review and/or develop written Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for all aspects and stages of infrastructures projects;
- Review and, where appropriate conduct technical assessment for all planned infrastructure activities required;
- Provide advice on feasibility, costings, timelines and requirements;
Technical Design and operations
- Submit Design Briefs for all planned infrastructure -activitiesincluding; conceptual designs, specifications, standards, budget estimates, timeframes and strategies for execution;
- For all infrastructure activities approved to proceed, prepare Final Design documentation, including: Scope of Works (SoW), site information, budget, specifications, schedules, Bill of Quantities (BoQ), calculations and construction drawings;
- Submit requisition - and coordinate with Procurement unit to complete the procurement process, including: development of relevant tender documents, evaluation of tenders and issuing of works contracts;
- Implement quality controls (QC) procedures, to ensure all infrastructure -activitiesare correctly initiated, managed, monitored, reported and closed in accordance with UNOPS policies and procedures.
- Support to motivate the technical team
- Provide proactive performance management for all supervised personnel.
- Ensure that behavioural expectations of team members are established
Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UNDSS standards
Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing:
Ensure that lessons learned and challenges are documented throughout the project stages and shared with the supervisor;
- Ensure final reports and handover reports are completed on time and to the required quality;
- Update and maintain project documentation and filing system;
- Performs any other related duties as may be assigned.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above) Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Engineering in a relevant subject matter such as Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Construction Management or Architecture is required. First level University degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) in Engineering in the above-mentioned field with an additional two years of relevant experience may be considered.
- Minimum five years of relevant experience in engineering planning, construction planning, construction management or related field in combination with Master’s degree is required.
- Prior experience in contract management is preferred.
- Experience in structural engineering and design review is an advantage
- Experience with one or more engineering software applications (i.e: AutoCAD, SAP2000, Prokon, ETABs) is an asset
- Experience in Google suite and particularly dashboard production using Google Data Studio is an asset
- Experience in infrastructure in developing country context is an asset
- Fluency Level in English and Tok Pisin is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA
Contract level: LICA-10 Contract duration: until 31 December 2021. Maximum of 200 working days.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
*It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
This is a family duty station.*