IT Assistant/Asset Management
Application deadline 10 months ago: Thursday 17 Mar 2022 at 22:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a G-5 contract. This kind of contract is known as General Service and related categories. It is normally only for nationals. It usually requires 5 years of experience, depending on education.
The salary for this job should be more than 1,319 USD.
Salary for a G-5 contract in KampalaThe salary of a G-5 depends on the duty station. The minimum salary there is 4,847,667 UGX (~1,319 USD)
Please keep in mind that the salary displayed here is an estimation by UN Talent based on the location and the type of contract. It may vary depending on the organization. The recruiter should be able to inform you about the exact salary range. In case the job description contains another salary information, please refer to this one.More about G-5 contracts.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
Country Management Support Units (CSUs) have been established in the organisational structure to provide support for Managers and staff to fully assume their responsibilities in the GSM environment and to ensure compliance with organizational policies, procedures, rules and regulations on all administrative and financial matters and transactions in the context of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Installation, Administration and Maintenance
- Coordinate the installation and maintenance of all ICT hardware and software, according to AFRO ICT standard.
- Ensure uninterrupted and effective ICT services to the office.
- Install and support LAN/WAN and data communications systems as per AFRO ICT Standards (Windows 10 Operating System, Windows 2008/2012 Server, TCP/IP, Ethernet, VPN, PIX, Firewall, Proxy server, Microsoft Exchange server 2010, VSAT, VolP, SNMP. DNS, DHCP, etc…).
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and repair ICT equipment.
- Perform daily server backup of data files.
- Set up and maintain disaster recovery procedures.
- Set up and maintain security of the ICT infrastructure (hacker and virus protection, protection against power failure, fire protection, etc.
- Maintain inventory of ICT equipment and software.
- Administer software and updates.
- Liaise with other UN agencies and external partners on ICT matters.
- Make a quarterly report on informatics equipment inventory.
- Provide technical documentation concerning all ICT related activities and update it.
- Make a monthly activity report.
- User and Administrative Support
- Provide in-house training/assistance to staff on usage of informatics equipment (computers accessories) programs (software).
- Assist in the design and implementation of database applications and another computer programmes.
- Coordinate the activities of external consultants.
- Act as ICT/AFRO focal point at WHO Country Office level.
- Ensure accuracy of entries by checking information registered in the CSU Fixed Assets Register.
- Administer the sale of Assets that are no longer in use in accordance with the approval of the WR.
- Supervise periodic physical verification (at least once every biennium) of all WHO Assets and reconcile them against the Fixed Asset register.
- Prepare discrepancies report for management control and financial decision purposes (items not recorded, not found, or disposed of).
- Coordinate the transfer of assets from person-to-person or unit-to-unit and ensure that this is reflected in the central fixed assets
- Supervise the process of disposal of obsolete assets and ensure that assets are disposed of in the best interest of the Organization and those records are updated in the Fixed Asset Register.
Perform other duties as required by immediate supervisor and WR.
Essential: Completion of secondary education; supplemented by technical or university courses in computer or information technology systems.
Desirable: First level degree in Computer Science, telecommunications or related area would be an asset.
Essential: At least five years of progressive experience in administration of information and telecommunications technologies infrastructure with some years of responsibility work in LAN management.
Desirable: Experience in the integrating Voice and Data Communications field: LAN design, maintenance and troubleshooting roster configuration, IP address schemes, internet/tunneling.
Work requires very good knowledge of LAN and TCP/IP networking and other internet based protocols, Windows 10 Professional, Windows 2008/2012 Server, Microsoft Active Directory; Good knowledge of E-mail system’s administration (Exchange Server 2010 and Microsoft Office365); Good knowledge of computer security including firewall and Virus protection; Good knowledge of Data backup and Disaster Recovery procedures (Veritas Backup Exec is the software used); Good knowledge of Database programming with visual Basic; Good knowledge of the Administration of telecommunication systems including Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) ; Ability to analyze and troubleshoot problems; Demonstrated ability to identify and solve technical problems in difficult circumstances. ability to write technical documents.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Respecting and Promoting Individual and Cultural Differences.
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Excellent knowledge of the English.
Desirable: Knowledge of French or other UN language.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma (s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
Staff members in other duty stations are encouraged to apply.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO prides itself on a workforce that adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- WHO has a zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA), sexual harassment and other types of abusive conduct (i.e., discrimination, abuse of authority and harassment). All members of the WHO workforce have a role to play in promoting a safe and respectful workplace and should report to WHO any actual or suspected cases of SEA, sexual harassment, and other types of abusive conduct. To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types pf abusive conduct are not hired by the organization, WHO will conduct a background verification of final candidates
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a general staff position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted.