IoT Technical Specialist
Application deadline 1 year ago: Sunday 11 Jul 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a IPSA-10 contract. This kind of contract is known as International Personnel Services Agreement. It is normally internationally recruited only. It usually requires 5 years of experience, depending on education. More about IPSA-10 contracts.
Instructions to Applicants: Click on the "Apply now" button. Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. Please ensure that CV or P11 and the Cover letter are combined in one file.
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position. Brief description of approach to the assignment including below items:
- UN or NGO experience in a technical area
- Experience in supporting IT Infrastructure operations
- Field mission experience
a) UNDP will cover the cost of travel of the individual to the duty station, as well as their return to their home upon completion of their services. Travel costs are covered only in the event that the function will be undertaken physically in the duty station and excludes working from home arrangements.
b) Include any official travel expected to be associated with performing the functions
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Office of Information Technology and Management (ITM) is the organization’s primary provider of high-quality products of ICT systems and Green Energy services to a global network of 155+ country offices and UNDP partners worldwide.
The mission of ITM is to develop modern-age Smart Facilities which guarantees efficient, innovative and sustainable management of technologies for UN facilities, and consistency with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). We are committed to offer a framework of best practices, and to deliver simple-to-use, and standards-based support tools, to allow innovation to flourish throughout the organization.
Our primary motivations are to accompany the transition to greener technologies and to increase connectivity in challenging locations, in order to leave no one behind. More particularly, we are actively participating to Covid-19 Crisis Response, as Covid-19 has increased the need for digital collaboration and connectivity. On a more practical level, we do this to maintain organizational productivity using technology, improve stakeholders well-being, optimize financial efficiency, and serve as a showcase for development at local level.
ITM/CIAS office in Copenhagen is expanding with relocation of more colleagues from different parts of the world so it is very important that ICT infrastructure and resources are running smoothly in the office and are managed correctly too. Because of growing demand for daily support and ongoing activities, it is required to have a good monitoring system and support personnel in the office to manage/ensure that the resources/systems are running perfectly and provide timely and efficient support to end users.
Institutional Arrangement: On a day-to-day basis, the contractor will be working with and directly reporting to the Global ICT Specialist (Connectivity Support) and Team lead (ICT Specialist for IoT project). The Global ICT Advisor has the overall responsibility to guide the both the Global ICT Specialist and the Contractor. Progress reporting will be done in the monthly team meeting and also Weekly Meetings.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
The contractor is required to play a significant role as guided by the Global ICT Specialist and Team lead in achieving the following tasks:
- Installation and Operation: The contractor will be responsible for setting up IoT network/infrastructure in UNDP Country offices and government projects managed/sponsored by UNDP, integrating with IoT Platform in Azure, testing the sensors and the gateways, testing the whole infrastructure chain, and providing full operation support after commissioning.
- Troubleshooting and Resolution: The contractor will be providing technical support resolve issues related to network and connectivity using standard procedures to troubleshoot and resolve any issues concerning the infrastructure as per SLA; working with the Country Offices (CO) IT teams, HQ team and vendors to ensure performance.
- Alarm handling and escalation: The contractor is responsible to handle incoming incidents through UNall ITSM platform and monitor alarms sent by NMS/dashboard. The contract should be working together with GNOC team and escalate incidents or issue which are complex to handle and that needs vendor or Level-3 supports intervention.
- Capacity building and field operation support: Conduct capacity building exercises by hosting global webinars, trainings and on-site operational support as required by UNDP COs with the consultation of GNOC lead and management guidance.
- Development of IT systems: Assist development of support operation procedure and structure to provide efficient/fast responses, developing manuals/guidelines to help/educate end-users, to develop ICT resources and assets tracking system.
- Client Interaction: Regularly interact with ICT managers to identify needs and gaps that needs to be attended and offer support with non-technical and technical requirements of COs with the consultation of Global ICT Specialist and Team lead.
- Documentation and ISO 9001 Compliance: Write documentation related to IoT support operation, but not limited to, procedures, system documentation, technical guides, conformity and corrective reports, and user feedback. Monitor and ensure compliance with corporate standards and ISO 9001:2008 of both the roll-out process and documentation.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
Master Degree in Electronic Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science or related field with 5 years of relevant expereince or Bachelors degree with additional 7 years of experience;
Min. years of relevant Work experience
- Minimum 5 year of relevant work experience, preferably in the , preferably in the ICT and IT field;
- Strong knowledge in IoT technologies such as IoT Security, IoT Analytics, IoT platform, IoT connectivity/communication, IoT Device Management, Azure IoT Hub, Azure IoT Central
- Knowledge in Network Infrastructure troubleshooting and maintenance, LAN/WAN technologies, Hardware configuration including network switches and routers, Identification and prevention of any potential network issues, ICT Security
Required skills and competencies
- Knowledge and expertise in cloud computing: nderstanding the cloud computing strategy and cloud-based infrastructure technologies, apply such knowledge and experience in developing infrastructure setup
- Expertise in ICT operation support: Knowledge and experience in ICT operation and support, applying standard practice and guideline such as ITIL and ISO
- Expertise in developing scripts and basic programming: Knowledge and experience in developing scripts to automate Infrastructure management/operation tasks
- Knowledge Management: Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
- Project Management: Ability to efficiently handle and manage ICT projects based on PRINCE2 or PMP or other standards
Desired additional skills and competencies
- UN experience is desirable;
- PRINC2/ITIL/PMP/ISO20000 certificates will be an added advantage;
Required Language(s) (at working level)
- Fluency in English is mandatory;
- Fluency in one or more additional UN languages will be an asset.
Holding any industrial certificates such as CCNA, CMNO, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CISSP, CEH, CISM will be an added advantage