Investigations Support Officer
Application deadline 3 months ago: Tuesday 2 Mar 2021
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Head of Financial Investigations or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer Legal Officer will:
- support investigations broadly, and provide Arabic language investigative support to both the investigator and senior investigator.
- conducting research and analysis pertaining to the financial aspects of war crimes, crimes against humanity, or genocide.
- attend interviews of witnesses and victims and partake in conducting field-based evidence collection, as well as provide field translation support (Arabic/English).
- draft notes to file and records of meetings and interviews held with relevant groups and individuals, including victims and witnesses.
- assist in the identification and collection of information and help in the development of casefiles relevant to UNITAD’s financial investigations, and process evidence accordingly.
- assist in the compilation, organization, and storage of evidence and information obtained by their respective Field Investigation Units, in consultation with the Archive and Records Section and the Information Systems Management Unit of UNITAD; and
- any other related duties as may be required to support the team.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area, e.g. international humanitarian law or area related to socio-legal research or international atrocity crimes
- At least 3 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in criminal law, or other relevant programs; experience with international law is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Desirable: valid national driver’s license and proven ability to drive manual gear 4x4 over rough terrain; (if not applicable, delete)
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in issue surrounding counter terrorism, particularly around countering Daesh, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise:
Rule of law, judicial and national legal system reform, Volunteer programmes and volunteer management
Area of expertise details:
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
Application procedure * Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply. * Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply. Application deadline: 02-03-2021