International Legal Consultant
Application deadline in 14 days: Tuesday 16 Mar 2021
The main aim of FAO Country Offices, headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner. Strategic direction for FAO assistance to Fiji balances regional-level initiatives with demand-driven country-specific plans for 14 Pacific Island Countries. Across the region, assistance is focused on: Improved policy plans and legislation; Enhancement of ecologically sustainable agricultural production, including forestry nd fisheries; Improved food quality and safety; Improved production, processing and marketing of agricultural produce; Protection and sustainable use of biodiversity.
Technical Cooperation Programme funded project ‘Technical assistance for the review of Fiji's Biosecurity Promulgation’ (TCP/FIJ/3702) provide technical assistance to the Government of Fiji to bring the country’s biosecurity legislation in alignment with international agreements, standards and obligations.
The consultant will report to the Legal Officer – Development Law Branch
Under the overall supervision of the Sub-regional Representative for the Pacific / FAO Representative for Fiji, the technical supervision of the Legal Officer, in close coordination with the plant protection and animal health officers, as well as with the international and the national consultants of the project.
Tasks and responsibilities
Support as necessary the development of three bills (Biosecurity Bill, Veterinary Bill and Plant Health Bill) and their validation, and, to this purpose
- Review and revise the national legal report;
- Virtually meet with the national and the international legal consultants, discuss the work plan and coordinate the activities of the working groups. Coordinate and supervise the work of the legal consultants;
- Virtually meet with the international consultants (animal health and plant health), to discuss the content and the elements to be incorporated into the draft Bills;
- Support and prepare as necessary the materials for the three legal drafting working groups;
- Based on the feedback of the working group, prepare first drafts of the three Bills;
- Follow up on the discussions of the Bill until final validation;
- Prepare commented versions of the three Bills with recommendations for their approval and implementation;
- Subject to the restrictions imposed by the COVID pandemy, travel to Fiji to participate in the validation workshop and prepare a mission report;
- Prepare a final report and a terminal report explaining the work produced.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Law
- 10 years of relevant experience in Agriculture-related legislation, including the drafting of agriculture-related legislation
- Exposure to legal work in Asia and the Pacific
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO official languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for Consultants. For PSA.SBS the working knowledge of English is sufficient.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent and relevance of experience in agriculture legislation, including plant health and animal health legislation
- Extent and relevance of experience in legal drafting
- Familiarity with the legal system in the Pacific islands
- Relevant experience in agriculture legislation, including the drafting of plant and animal health laws
- Participation in international development projects