International consultant to develop content and design of a joint publication on 2016-2020 UN Partnership Framework for Development Programme (UNPFD) implementation achievements in English l
Application deadline in 8 days: Friday 4 Dec 2020
This is a International Consultant contract. More about International Consultant contracts.
Purpose of the Consultancy: To assist UNCT to develop content and design of the print-ready copy of a publication on 2016-2020 UNPFD implementation achievements in English, Turkmen and Russian (the consultant will receive the translated text to develop language copies), including layout, design, photos and charts/infographics.
Turkmenistan joined the United Nations on 2 March 1992 as a new independent state. Since then the UN has been supporting Turkmenistan to achieve its national priorities, which respond to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
This work is undertaken through the realization of UN-Turkmenistan joint programmes and Joint Work Plans and with recognition of the distinctive mandates of each of the UN agencies. 2020 is the last year of the UNPFD implementation, which also coincides with Turkmenistan’s 25th anniversary of Neutrality and the 75th anniversary of the United Nations.
To ensure coordination of joint efforts, the UNCT and the government have developed a joint 5-year Turkmenistan-UN Partnership Framework for Development (2016-2020).
The UNPFD 2016-2020 has eight outcomes aligned with the priorities defined in the National Programme for Socio-Economic Development for the period 2011-2030 and in the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) agenda. The outcomes are grouped into five strategic areas, as follows:
- Quality data and progress monitoring
- Quality, inclusive social services
- Environmental sustainability and energy efficiency
- Employment, economic diversification, and trade
- Governance and the rule of law.
To highlight the Government of Turkmenistan and UN achievements under the current UNPFD and to describe the new UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework for 2021-2025, the UN Country Team has proposed to develop a UN publication that will encompass achievement stories and vision for the next five years. The publication, which will be developed in Turkmen, Russian and English, will serve as an advocacy and communication tool for various audiences.
Producing a strong visual document will enable the UN to stress its new positioning and connect to the public perceptions of effectiveness, efficiency and competence. The communication document will also be a powerful starting point for demonstrating the effectiveness of collaboration and building consensus around a positive agenda for the future. The unique, sharp and distinctive publication by means of sensitive photography, unique design and strong visuals along with concise texts will give a clear idea of what the UN and Government have achieved together within the last five years and what it strives for in the nearest future.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator, the qualified individual will develop content and design of the print-ready copy of a publication on achievements in the implementation of the 2016-2020 UNPFD including layout, design, photos and charts/infographics.
The document shall focus on:
1) achievements of the UN agencies in Turkmenistan and Turkmenistan’s international involvement within the frameworks of cooperation with the United Nations and its structural bodies; and
2) directions of future cooperation.
In addition, the publication aims to:
- Build a positive and unified image of the UN in Turkmenistan;
- Increase public understanding about the work of the UN in the country;
- Inform the public about positioning of the UN in the country in connection with signing of the new 2021-2025 Turkmenistan-United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) document;
- Reinforce UN commitment to Governmental processes;
- Increase awareness of the UN mandate;
- Strengthen an environment conducive to dialogue
It will be a 30-50 page publication highlighting UN mission in Turkmenistan, 2016-2020 UNPFD activities and achievements in the country. The booklet will target key UN partners:
- Development partners
- UN agencies in Turkmenistan and beyond
- Donors, NGOs and academia
- Public at large
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
Following the online meetings with the UN agencies and staff, the Consultant shall be tasked to accomplish the following expected deliverables:
- Develop content of publication covering the achievements of UNPFD under 5 strategic areas;
- Provide concept/outline of the publication including the table of contents, proposed design, layout and graphic/charts of the publication;
- Define necessary materials and photographs required from the UN Agencies for this publication;
- Structure and edit all inputs from the UN agencies into a uniform, easily readable draft publication, which communicates clear results;
- Consolidate and edit a draft publication;
- Edit photo materials provided by the UN agencies;
- Prepare and submit draft publication to the UNCT for comments and suggestions (with 3 rounds of reviews received from UN Agencies: first draft, pre-final and final);
- Consolidate comments from the UNCT and submit a final design of the print ready copy within set deadlines to ensure on-time production of the publication;
- Prepare language copies in English, Russian and Turkmen using the provided translations;
- Provide PDF files for the web and native files of three language versions of the publication (preferably in Adobe InDesign).
The expected outputs are outlined below:
- Develop a draft concept/outline of the publication based on scope of works, including the revision of UN Country Results Reports of 2018, 2019, and inputs of 2020 achievements, UNPFD Evaluation report, UN website and online consultations with UNCT, including the table of content, suggested design, layout and graphics/charts with an easy readable style for discussion and approval by UNCT;
- Define the necessary materials and photographs that the UN Agencies need to provide;
- If professional photos are required in addition to those provided by the UN agencies, define clearly in writing with examples what is required so that a local professional can be recruited;
- Provide the first draft of Outline/Concept with a text based on feedback from UNCT;
- Provide the first draft of the text according to the agreed Outline/Concept.
Time frame: Within 20 working days including online meetings with UN agencies
6. Prepare pre final print ready copy based on the feedback received from UN agencies in English;
7. Prepare final print ready copy based on the feedback received from UN agencies in English;
8. Prepare Turkmen and Russian versions using the final English publication upon receiving translation;
9. Provide PDF files for the web and native files of the publication in English, Russian and Turkmen languages.
Time frame: Within 35 working days including online meetings with UN agencies
- Institutional Arrangement
The incumbent is expected to work on a daily basis in coordination with the UN Programme Communication and Advocacy Officer under the overall guidance of the UN Strategic Planning Officer and RCO Team Leader. She/he shall update the UN RCO the progress of implementation of the assignment. All organizational support and necessary meetings for the expert will be facilitated by the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office.
Duration of the Work
The duration of the assignment is 55 working days over 3 months but subject to the extension. The assignment shall start in January 2021 with the final, approved product to be submitted by March 30, 2021. The expert will have home-based work.
This is a lump sum contract that should include costs of consultancy and other costs required to produce the above deliverables. The final schedule will be agreed upon in the beginning of the consultancy.
Payment will be done in two installments based on the quality and timeliness of presented outputs after acceptance of them by the UN Country Team.
- Upon submission of the first draft of the publication to UNCG Deliverable 1-5 (30% of total fee);
- Upon submission of the finalized print ready version of the publication Deliverable 6-9 (70% of total fee).
All costs related to the assignment will be covered through a special fund based on the agreement reached within the UNCT.
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Shares knowledge and experience and provides helpful feedback and advice;
- Ability to identify beneficiaries’ needs, and to match them with appropriate solutions;
- Excellent communication and interviewing skills;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Focuses on result for the client;
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in journalism, public relations, communications, social or political science, governance and development;
- More than five years of professional experience in journalism/report writing, monitoring, analytical reporting, programme and project-related experience;
- Extensive experience in designing, editing complex reports and publications is essential;
- A proven track record of producing high quality reports; samples of publications to be submitted;
- Knowledge of UN writing standards, terminology;
- Fluent in English, knowledge of the Russian language is an advantage.
The consultant will be evaluated against a combination of technical and financial criteria. Maximum score is 100.
Out of the maximum score, the score for technical criteria equals 70% - maximum 70 points, and for financial criteria 30% - maximum 30 points.
The technical evaluation (70%, or max 70 points) will take into account the following as per the scoring provided:
- University degree in journalism, public relations, communications, social or political science, governance and development – 20 points;
- More than five years of professional experience in journalism/report writing, editing complex reports and publications – 20 points;
- Experience in developing design of complex reports and publications – 10 points;
- Excellent English writing and editing skills, knowledge of Russian is an asset – 10 points;
- Detailed methodology to carry out an assignment (please include 1-2 samples of previous work assignments) – 10 points.
Financial proposal – 30% of total evaluation – max 30 points. Only the highest ranked candidates found qualified for the job will be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
Recommended Presentation of Offer
All applicants shall submit:
(i) Cover letter explaining why they are the most suitable candidate for the assignment;
(ii) Filled P11 form including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees (blank form can be downloaded from here;
; please upload the P11 instead of your CV;
(iii) a detailed methodology indicating phases, tasks, methods, techniques, time, resources, accessibility and tools to be applied for successful completion of the assignment. Submission of 1-2 samples of previous products would be required.
Financial proposals for implementation of the assignment
All applicants shall submit a detailed, carefully considered and justified financial statement based on a lump sum, specifying a daily fee for the tasks and an estimated duration as specified in this announcement.