Internal Vacancy Announcement - TA Education Manager (Quality and Learning) (P4), Abuja, Nigeria #00115963 (open to all internal staff and other UNICEF personnel - including consultants, JP
Application deadline 3 months ago: Thursday 8 Apr 2021 at 22:55 UTCOpen application form
This is a P-4 contract. This kind of contract is known as Professional and Director staff. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's a staff contract. It usually requires 7 years of experience, depending on education.
The salary for this job should be between 90,970 USD and 117,287 USD per month.
Salary for a P-4 contract in AbujaThe international rate of 90,970 USD, with an additional 0% at this the location, applies.
Please keep in mind that the salary displayed here is an estimation by UN Talent based on the location and the type of contract. It may vary depending on the organization. The recruiter should be able to inform you about the exact salary range. In case the job description contains another salary information, please refer to this one.More about P-4 contracts and their salaries.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, learning
In Nigeria, UNICEF works in a complex humanitarian and development setting to fulfill and protect children's rights in partnership with the government, civil society, children, and families. UNICEF Nigeria is one of the largest UNICEF Country Offices globally - click the link to learn more about UNICEF in Nigeria: https://www.unicef.org/nigeria/.
How can you make a difference?
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Chief, Education, the Education Manager supports the Chief in managing the section, playing a key role in bringing innovation to the development and preparation of education programmes. The UNICEF NCO programme priority “Every Child Learns” emphasizes the need to focus more clearly on learning, in line with UNICEF’s global and regional shifts towards the right to learn. Available evidence indicates that even when children attend school, they are often not attaining basic literacy and numeracy skills, with poor quality education leading to poor learning outcomes. The Education Manager is expected to provide overall coordination and technical guidance at the federal and state levels on operational leadership for the Foundational Literacy and Numeracy (FLN) Skills; provide technical support for the implementation of the Accelerator Programme and other FLN activities; and responsible for evidence generation and knowledge management and communication of FLN and Accelerator Programme activities..
The Education Manager expected to provide operational support to states throughout all stages of FLN programming and engage in evidence-based advocacy in scaling up FLN in Nigeria.
The Education Manager is expected to contribute to the achievement of concrete and sustainable results according to plans, allocation results-based management approaches and methodology (RBM), and UNICEF’s Strategic Plans, standards of performance, and accountability framework.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Provide overall coordination and operational leadership for the Foundational Literacy and Numeracy (FLN) work
- Provide technical support for the implementation of the Accelerator Programme and other FLN activities
- Provide leadership in innovations and knowledge management and communication of FLN and Accelerator Programme activities
- Engage in evidence-based advocacy, networking, and partnership building for the scaling up of Foundational Literacy and Numeracy skills
Please refer to the attached job description for more information….. Education Manager Level 4 (002).doc
To qualify as an advocate for every child, you will have…
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields: education, economics, psychology, sociology, or another relevant technical field.
- A minimum of eight years of professional experience in programme planning, management, and/or education research.
- Experience working in a developing country.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Familiarity/ background with emergencies is an asset.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of the local language of the duty station. Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's core values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA), and
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (2)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (3)
- Works Collaboratively with others (3)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (3)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (3)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (3)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (3)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (3)
- Analyzing (3)
- Deciding and initiating action (2)
- Applying Technical Expertise (3)
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
“UNICEF only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/” Shortlisted candidate remark Only shortlisted candidates will be notified and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.