Internal Advertisement of Senior Finance Associate, G7, Bhutanese Nationals only
Application deadline 1 year ago: Wednesday 20 Oct 2021 at 17:55 UTCOpen application form
This is a G-7 contract. This kind of contract is known as General Service and related categories. It is normally only for nationals. It usually requires 7 years of experience, depending on education.
The salary for this job should be more than 841 USD.
Salary for a G-7 contract in ThimphuThe salary of a G-7 depends on the duty station. The minimum salary there is 68,397 BTN (~841 USD)
Please keep in mind that the salary displayed here is an estimation by UN Talent based on the location and the type of contract. It may vary depending on the organization. The recruiter should be able to inform you about the exact salary range. In case the job description contains another salary information, please refer to this one.More about G-7 contracts.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, [insert tagline]
Under the supervision of the Operations Officer ([email protected]), the Sr. Finance Associate will be responsible for providing a variety of specialized tasks in finance functions, ensuring accurate and timely delivery that is in compliance with UNICEF financial rules and regulations, whilst demonstrating the capacity to research, adapt and evaluate irregular cases, and also to recommend improvements to process delivery and design. At the G-7 level, the below tasks are expected to be carried out with a high level of independence.
How can you make a difference?
Purpose for the job:
The Sr. Finance Associate will be responsible for providing a variety of specialized tasks in finance functions, ensuring accurate and timely delivery that is in compliance with UNICEF financial rules and regulations, whilst demonstrating the capacity to research, adapt and evaluate irregular cases, and also to recommend improvements to process delivery and design. At the G-7 level, the below tasks are expected to be carried out with a high level of independence.
Key function, accountabilities and related duties/tasks:
1. Support to financial planning and management
- Assess budget expenditures to verify compliance to allotment and codes and guidelines and procedures. Prepare regular analysis, modification and reports on budget situations for higher management oversight and action.
- Prepare financial exception reports, highlight unusual activities and transactions and investigate anomalies and keep Supervisor informed for timely action.
- Review financial and reputational risks in the transactions carried out by the office and raise flags when action is needed by management.
2. Support HACT/Partnership management
- Support to HACT team for assessments, assurance and capacity development of implementing partners.
- Provide technical support to the programme sections in budget review of partnership management/program documents.
3. Control of accounts
- Process the submission of payments (e.g. Invoices, Travel DSA, advances to governments etc), journal entries and other financial transactions within scope on a timely basis to the Global Shared Services Center (GSSC), and ensuring compliance with budgetary limits, IPSAS and organizational regulations, rules, policies and procedures and standards of accountability and ethics.
- Take timely action on outstanding accounts to resolve pending issues. This includes dialogue and follow up with the GSSC to facilitate timely processing of financial transactions submitted to the center.
- Process (as per delegated authority) the disbursement of payments when done locally via bank letters, checks, or petty cash.
- Process cash receipts and reconcile DCT refunds to ensure their timely deposit and recording in UNICEF systems.
- Monitor/assess/analyze financial transactions, accounting reports and reconciliation of accounts and prepare accurate and current financial information for applicable compliance (e.g. IPSAS, donor reporting, internal policies) and management oversight, planning and/or action.
- Complete applicable accounts closure activities (monthly, quarterly and yearly) on a timely basis and per closure instructions.
- Review DCT transactions (transfer, adjustments, reprogramming and liquidation) supporting documents to ensure FACE form has been properly entered the system and the expenditure is broadly reasonable and in accordance with policy.
4. Treasury and cash management
- Support the control, operations and management of bank, petty cash accounts in accordance with UNICEF/UN financial regulations and rules and local banking practices. Keep abreast of procedures and regulations regarding maintenance of bank accounts and exchange and interest's rates. Keep Supervisor and relevant colleagues informed for timely action.
- Maintain contact with local bank management on routine operational matters.
- Maintain a system to monitor and forecast periodic cash requirements. Provide current information on cash position/forecast to management and make recommendations to ensure sufficient availability of resources for programmes and operations activities.
- Submit monthly bank statements to the GSSC for reconciliation and take necessary corrective action on findings identified by the Center.
- Ensure the timely transfer of funds to government implementing partners channeled through the government central and local treasury system.
- Ensure timely DCT reporting/liquidation
5. Performs other duties, as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Education: Completion of secondary education is required with professional/university level courses in Accounting and Finance/Business administration considered as an asset.
Experience: A minimum of seven years of clerical experience in the area of finance and accounting is required.
Language: Fluency of English and local language of the duty station required.
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results. For every Child, you demonstrate...
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are...
Core Competencies (For Staff without Supervisory Responsibilities) *
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
- Analyzing (II)
- Applying Technical Expertise (II)
- Planning & Organizing (II)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (II)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
FT appointment, Continuing appointment and permanent appoint are considered as internal candidates and they are eligible to apply for this position. Please upload following documents in the link provided: 1) Cover letter, Latest CV and Latest Two PERS.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.