Intern with the Information and Communication Technology Section (ICTS) (2 positions)
Application deadline 8 days ago: Monday 22 May 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a Internship contract. More about Internship contracts.
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. Volunteerism is a powerful means of engaging people in tackling development challenges, and it can transform the pace and nature of development. Volunteerism benefits both societies at large and the individual volunteer by strengthening trust, solidarity and reciprocity among citizens, and by purposefully creating opportunities for participation. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for recognition of volunteers, working with partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing an increasing number and diversity of volunteers, including experienced UN volunteers, throughout the world. UNV embraces volunteerism as universal and inclusive and recognizes volunteerism in its diversity as well as the values that sustain it: free will, commitment, engagement and solidarity.
UNV engages over 9,450 volunteer assignments annually. With an average age of 34 years and the requisite professional skills and qualifications of some with 5 to 10 years relevant experience. The majority come from developing countries themselves. Roughly one half of UN Volunteers served in their own countries, with the other half carrying out international assignments. The financial equivalent of programme activities exceeds US$ 235 million annually.
UNV is headquartered in Bonn, Germany and has approximately 120 staff positions – with a large presence in Bonn and some positions with different UN peacekeeping and political missions, and in other Headquarters locations (e.g. New York and Tokyo) and Regional Offices (Nairobi, Dakar, Bangkok, Panama, Istanbul, and Amman).
UNV Information and Communications Technology Section (ICTS), located in Bonn, Germany, is responsible for creating and maintaining multiple corporate applications.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the System Development Specialist(s), the Intern will support the unit as follows:
- Develop .Net code and integration scripts for UNV corporate applications
- Get familiar with Microsoft Azure implementation within UNV
- Document the code
- Technical and functional testing of the application
- Strong interest in development cooperation and in the work of the United Nations Volunteers programme.
- General understanding of the work and mission of the UNV programme, and of volunteerism’s contribution to peace and development effectiveness.
- Insight and hands-on experience in UNV’s broad range of operational ICT activities and web development using latest market tools.
- Insight and hands-on experience in volunteer management; and
- Become more familiar with working in an International Organization and in a multicultural environment.
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Currently enrolled or having recently graduated from a Master’s / Professional degree / academic programme in Computer science
- Experience in software development
- Excellent oral and written communications skills as well as proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.
- Interest and experience in volunteering is a strong asset.
- Experience in developing countries is desirable.
- Fluency in English; knowledge of other official UN language is desirable