Application deadline 1 year ago: Friday 20 Aug 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV National Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as National UN Volunteer. It is normally only for nationals. More about UNV National Specialist contracts.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Deputy Representative or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer Innovation Specialist will:
Provide support to program development and planning
- Research and report on innovation trends and data for use in program development, management, monitoring, evaluation and delivery of results.
- Provide support to an overall cross-sectoral innovation strategy/action plan, including formulation, design, planning and implementation.
- Proactively scout for new innovative ideas and opportunities.
- Contribute to the development/mainstreaming of innovation into sectoral program goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning
- Prepare regular/mandated sectoral program/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
- Support the development, coordination and testing of innovation products and processes to strengthen and improve efficiency and effectiveness of UNICEF’s programming, monitoring and evaluation, advocacy and communication. More specifically, explore the feasibility for deployment of RapidPro – UNICEF’s latest mobile phone-based system for real-time data collection, including negotiations with mobile network companies and other service providers. This may also include implementation of established solutions such as U-Report should this be relevant.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss operational and implementation issues, provide solutions, recommendations and/or alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in regular program field visits and surveys and/or exchange information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support, take appropriate action to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess programs/projects and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
- Document tested innovation projects and processes and ensure effective sharing and generation of knowledge around innovations in the Country Office as well as with UNICEF global innovation network.
- Carry out any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Educational additional comments
- Advanced higher degree (Master’s or equivalent) in a relevant area, e.g. Information Technology, International Relations, Social Sciences, Social Development; a first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- At least 2 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in project design and implementation or other relevant programmes; experience with startups is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise details
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills.
Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing.
Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development.
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel.
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment.
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines.
- Sound security awareness.
- Have affinity with or interest in working with young people and children, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
- Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply. * Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply. This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Albania and legal residents in Albania with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply. Application deadline: 20-08-2021