Individual National Consultancy to Support the Ministry of Education and Sports of Lao PDR in developing online Information Management Systems (MIS), digital learning platform, Khang Panya L
Application deadline 6 months ago: Sunday 31 Jul 2022 at 10:00 UTCOpen application form
This is a Consultancy contract. More about Consultancy contracts.
UNICEF is a UN organization mandated by the UN General Assembly to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential. In Lao PDR, UNICEF is working with its partners to support the Government to realize children’s rights on survival, development, protection and participation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, support
UNICEF in Vientiane, Lao PDR is looking for an Individual National Consultancy to support the Ministry of Education and Sports of Lao PDR in developing online Information Management Systems (MIS), digital learning platform, Khang Panya Lao, and the Fundamental Quality Standards (FQS)****. The duration of this assignment is 11.5 months, starting from 1 September 2022– 31 July 2023 and the consultant will be based in UNICEF Office, Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
The consultant is expected to provide the following services as part of their work assignment:
- Provide technical support in development of the Ministry of Education’s LESMIS platform as well as ongoing capacity building support to Ministry colleagues in operating and maintaining the platform.
- Provide technical support in the development of the online Personnel Management Information System (PMIS) PMIS including capacity building support to MoES counterparts in operating and maintaining the platform.
- Provide technical support in the development of the Ministry’s Accounting System including capacity building support to MoES counterparts in operating and maintaining the platform.
- Support MoES and UNICEF in the deployment of the Khang Panya Lao platform, including technical and IT support to the platform and key platform users, the curation of content and communications support to help promote the platform. The consultant will be required to help develop promotional and instructional materials including videos to promote the platform and participate in and actively support Khang Panya Lao and digital learning trainings and orientations.
- Provide technical support to MoES, UNICEF and partners in the implementation of FQS-based school development planning. This includes IT and communications support in the development of an FQS blended learning course including development and finalization of videos, posters and other key digital content included in this course. The consultant will also be required to support the testing and implementation of FQS including support to the provision of technology and IT devices to districts and schools.
- Provide communications support to the education team, including in graphic design and video and media production. This includes producing instructional guides, posters videos and other visual materials linked to LESMIS, PMIS and the MoES accounting system, Khang Panya Lao and FQS.
- Provide ongoing IT support to MoES and UNICEF in the trialling and roll out of technology at provincial, district and school levels, particularly the use of tablets, TVs, projectors and technology to support remote access to digital learning, including device hubs and solar-powered backpacks. This IT support is linked to the management information systems, Khang Panya Lao and FQS and includes coordination of an internal database on the distribution of devices across the country as well as maintaining, installation and upgrading of hardware.
- Identify and support building of new partnerships including with the private sector in the expansion of digital learning in Lao PDR.
- Provide technical inputs to MoES and UNICEF in the development of a national ICT in Education Strategy.
- Provide inputs and support to UNICEF in the development of donor reports, annual results reporting and other needed updates.
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required:
- Advanced degree in education, information technology, statistics, communication, engineering, or other relevant field. In lieu of a specific academic degree, relevant experience may be considered to meet this requirement.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience in Technology for Development (T4D) and/or information system development, including mobile and web-based applications, with manifested capacity to manage programmes involving many stakeholders. Specific experience on ICT for learning or digital learning is an advantage.
- Experience managing user-driven design processes.
- Experience in digital learning design.
- Technical communication skills in media production and graphic design.
- Proven training and capacity building skills for a range of stakeholders.
- Good technical understanding and familiarity with information management systems.
- Knowledge of at least Teams, SharePoint, GitHub, Trello, Jira other software development and project management tooling a plus.
- Excellent communication abilities, in both written and oral forms. Consultant should be at ease in presentations and meetings with D-level (UN) or C-level (private sector) executives.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in coordination, and able to work under pressure is required.
- Fluency in English and Lao language is a requirement.
Submission of applications:
Interested candidates are kindly requested to submit applications electronically and include the following documents:
• Letter of Interest (cover letter)
- CV or Resume
- Performance evaluation reports or references of similar consultancy assignments (if available)
- Financial proposal: Total proposed consultancy fee (excluding travel) as per the work assignment.
As part of the evaluation and selection, a Cumulative Analysis Method (weight combined score method) shall be used for this recruitment. This involves assessment of:
- Technical Qualification (max. 100 points) weight 70 % • Relevant education/degree (30 points)
- Experience working in the education sector in Lao PDR (40 points)
- Fluency in both English and Lao languages (30 points)
- Financial Proposal (max. 100 points) weight 30 %
The maximum number of points shall be allotted to the lowest Financial Proposal that is opened /evaluated and compared among those technical qualified candidates who have attained a minimum 70 points score in the technical evaluation. Other Financial Proposals will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price.
The Contract shall be awarded to the candidate obtaining the highest combined technical and financial scores, subject to the satisfactory result of the verification interview, if required.
Medical Insurance: the cost of medical insurance, including Medical Evacuation and mandatory COVID-19 insurance for working in Lao PDR should be included in the proposal.
Please find the ToR here: ToR_MIS Khang Panya FQS Consultancy_for VA.pdf
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at here
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Remarks: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.