Individual Contract to Support Development of Primary Health Care Law based on the National Health Laws, and Primary Health Care Policy of Government of Lao PDR
Application deadline 5 months ago: Sunday 7 Aug 2022 at 16:55 UTCOpen application form
This is a Consultancy contract. More about Consultancy contracts.
UNICEF is a UN organization mandated by the UN General Assembly to advocate for the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential. In Lao PDR, UNICEF is working with its partners to support the Government to realize children’s rights on survival, development, protection and participation.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, support.
UNICEF in Vientiane, Lao PDR is looking for an Individual Contractor to Support Development of Primary Health Care (PHC) Law based on the National Health Laws, and PHC Policy of Government of Lao PDR. The duration of this assignment is 9 months, starting as soon as possible and the consultant will be 85 % based in Ministry of Health (MOH) and 15% based in UNICEF Office, Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities
The national consultant will work closely with Department of Hygiene and Health Promotion, Ministry of Health, UNICEF Health team, national counterparts/partners for completion of the following assignments:
- Conduct desk review/analysis of existing regulations, policies, strategies, and guidelines and documents related to PHC, community-based health care, and community platforms, such as Village Health Volunteer (VHV) and Village Health Committee (VHC).
- Develop/review the roadmap to develop the PHC law in consultation with MOH.
- Provide technical assistance to the National Taskforce on PHC Law development and coordinate with relevant MOH departments and development partners to develop the first draft of PHC law.
- Organize and facilitate the consultative meetings with stakeholders (Govt. and DPs) at the national and sub-national levels (divided in 3 regional meetings) to get feedback and comments on the first draft of PHC law.
- Prepare a comprehensive report of the consultative meeting reflections by gathering feedback from stakeholders (including community representatives, VHV and VHC) and revise the first draft of PHC Law.
- Revise the first draft of the law and the guideline based on the feedback of consultative meetings at national and sub-national levels and prepare second draft of PHC law.
- Organize and facilitate consultative meetings with Ministry of Justice, Prime Ministry’s Office, and National Assembly Office to review the second draft of PHC law. Make revisions as required based on feedback from these consultative meetings and prepare final draft for presentation to National Assembly meeting for review and endorsement.
- Consultant will be responsible for drafting and make revisions as many as required and present at appropriate forums when and wherever required during consultancy period.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in in law, social sciences, public health, or other related field to the above duties.
- At least 10 years’ experience in PHC, developing Health policies, laws, strategies, facilitation of trainings and consultative meetings at the provincial, and district levels.
Knowledge and Skills
- Good knowledge of Lao PDR, national Government law of health care, law on hygiene and health promotion, PHC policy, health sector reform strategy, health sector development plan and other health strategies.
- Previous experience working in development of policies, laws, and strategic planning with ministry of Health at national and sub-national levels, UNICEF/ UN is an asset
- Interpersonal communication skills.
- Expertise in use of Ms office applications including word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Communication, Good interpersonal communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders, and drive to achieve results.
- Fluency in English and Lao written and spoken, with ability to translate.
Submission of applications:
Interested candidates are kindly requested to apply and upload the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (cover letter).
- CV or Resume.
- Performance evaluation reports or references of similar consultancy assignments (if available).
- Financial proposal for consultancy fee for this assignment as per work assignment.
The deadline for applications is on 7th August 2022.
A two-stage procedure shall be utilized in evaluating proposals; technical evaluation being conducted prior to examining any financial proposal.
Applications shall therefore contain the following required documentation:
1. Technical Proposal, including a cover letter, updated CV, and copies of 2 relevant evaluations performed earlier by the consultant.
2. Financial Proposal: Consultancy fee.
No financial information should be contained in the technical proposal.
For evaluation and selection method, the Cumulative Analysis Method (weight combined score method) shall be used for this recruitment:
- Technical Qualification (max. 100 points) weight 70%
Knowledge of Lao PDR, national government health policy, health sector development plan and other strategies. (20 points)
Experience working in policies, laws, and strategic planning with ministry of Health at central and district level, UNICEF/ UN (30 points)
Quality of past work, positive past evaluation (e.g., understanding, methodology) (20 points)
b) Financial Proposal (max. 100 points) weight 30 %
The maximum number of points shall be allotted to the lowest financial proposal that is opened /evaluated and compared among those technical qualified candidates who have attained a minimum 70 points score in the technical evaluation. Other financial proposal will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price.
The applicants should provide medical insurance covering medical evacuation for the whole duration of the assignment, as part of the financial proposal submission.
The Contract shall be awarded to candidate obtaining the highest combined technical and financial scores, subject to the satisfactory result of the verification interview.
Please find the TOR here: ToR_National Consultants_PHC Law development (final) for VA.pdf
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at here
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.