Application deadline 1 day ago: Sunday 3 Dec 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a G-6 contract. This kind of contract is known as General Service and related categories. It is normally only for nationals. It usually requires 6 years of experience, depending on education. More about G-6 contracts.
Background Information - Job-specific
**** THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION FOR WHICH ONLY APPLICANTS WHO ARE SPANISH OR EUROPEAN UNION CITIZENS OR APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS A VALID RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT IN SPAIN ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION******
***** FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY******
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The New York Portfolios Office (NYPO) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.
The Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their Peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP). It provides Services to partners' programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
The Department of Operational Support (DOS) is responsible for the delivery and maintenance of the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) infrastructure, systems, and software applications in support of the operational requirements of Peacekeeping Missions, Special Political Missions, as well as Department of Peace Operations (DPO) and DOS at Headquarters.
ICT is one of the fundamental components that enable substantive work of field missions. Timely and secure communications and information exchange within and between UN Peacekeeping Missions and Headquarters is critical to meet the core strategic, operational, and tactical mandate of the United Nations.
The Service for Geospatial, Information and Telecommunications Technologies at the UNGSC provides a critical role as the as the resilient operational hub for the support and delivery of technology services and solutions to field operations and a broad range of Secretariat and United Nations system clients. As a unified, singular service provider, SGITT provides reliable, resilient, and innovative geospatial, communications and information technology services, including centralized connectivity, hosting and monitoring support, ensuring that staff members in field missions and at Headquarters have access to critical enterprise systems.
The UN Global Service Centre (UNGSC), SGITT’s requirements are immediate, and a project approach is determined to be the most suitable mechanism to rapidly provide the requirement resources and to build the capacity envisaged.
SGITT is charged with implementing and maintaining standards, procedures, and templates related to the adopted Project Management Framework. Ensure that all the processes, operations, quality of deliverables are managed efficiently and provide reports. Manage projects aligned with SGITT goals and objectives defined in the organizational strategies, work plan and measured in the RBB and the Benefits realization framework.
UNOPS has signed a Financial Agreement with UNGSC to provide expert capacity to UNGSC SGITT to support its PMO, Project Management, and Project Management System (MS Project Online, or other Project Management Tools) activities.
The ICT Associate will carry out his/her tasks at UNGSC/SGITT/TDDPS in Valencia, Spain.
The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager or a designated person, the incumbent works under the direct guidance and supervision of the Chief, Programme Management and Planning Unit, at the UN ICT Facility in Valencia, Spain and is responsible for following duties:
Summary of Key Functions:
- Programme and Project Management
- Research and Analysis
- Monitoring and Evaluation
Programme and Project Management
- Provides general ICT programme management, project management and administrative support for a range of programmes and projects to ensure their smooth running and implementation.
- Prioritizes tasks and organizes work based on general direction from the supervisor and carries out a broad range of activities, including planning, documentation management, reporting and logistics support.
- Actively assists in project coordination and stakeholders’ meetings and track individual contributors and their accomplishments as required.
Analysis and Documentation
- Supports the translation of business requirements into technical and functional requirements.
- Contributes actively to developing, documenting, and executing detailed project work plans and schedules.
- Participates in customer sessions to collect, analyze, validate, and document business requirements, processes, business rules and workflows.
- Researches and recommends solutions to issues and assists in the preparation of change requests to resolve them.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Supports the Monitoring and measurement of project progress and project documentation compliance as required by adopted project methodology and standard processes.
- Identifies trendsetter ideas by researching industry and related events, publications, and announcements.
- Assists in the evaluation and solution of potential project risks and issues.
**Performs other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent's scope of services above.
**Impact of Results**** The effective and successful achievement of key results by the ICT Associate directly affects the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the relevant business unit/project, in ICT management, impacting the timely and effective implementation of the respective services and deliverables. This ensures client satisfaction and promotes the image and credibility of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management. This enhances UNOPS’ competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country/region served.
*****FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY****
*CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Education: - High school diploma or equivalent is required. - A first level university degree (Bachelor's degree or equivalent) preferably in Information Technology, Computer Science, Information Systems, Communications, or relevant fields may substitute for some of the required years of experience - Candidates with higher education (post graduate degree) may be considered with a reduced experience requirement.
Experience: Required experience:
- A minimum of 6 years of practical experience in supporting the management of ICT projects or related areas.
- Experience in running projects using PRINCE2 project management or similar framework.
- Experience using Microsoft Project Management Tool
- PRINCE2 Practitioner and/or PRINCE2 Agile Practitioner certification
- ITIL Foundation Certification
Language: - Fluency in English (read, write, speak) is required. - Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an asset.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Staff Contract level: G6 Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.