Application deadline 1 month ago: Sunday 31 Jul 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a LICA-6 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. It usually requires 6 years of experience, depending on education. More about LICA-6 contracts.
Background Information - Job-specific
Based in Geneva, Switzerland, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices in the region, providing management and financial/programmatic oversight of Global and Country specific Portfolios, Clusters and Operations Centers including hosting services, fund management, management advisory services, implementing projects, procuring goods and services and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
1. ICT client services, management and administration - Ensures efficient and effective ICT client services, management and administration, focusing on achievement of the following results: - Implementation of ICT and operational strategies compliant with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and framework. - Provision of fast, friendly, and effective user support. - Advice on information technology and systems planning exercises undertaken in the Business Unit, and representing the Business Unit in those undertaken throughout UNOPS. - Participation in the development of ICT standards and strategies for the Business Unit - Maintenance of inventory of all computer, audio/video communication equipment, and software in the Business Unit, ensuring compliance with asset management policies. - Interaction with HQ and ICT personnel from other UN agencies in the area to share and exchange information and expertise on applications and tools. - Effective functioning (installation, operation and maintenance) of all UNOPS hardware equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies, approved software and application of updates and patches in a timely manner. - Supervision of information and communication services of the Business Unit and managed projects. - Effective advice on all project implementation activities involving ICT; the hardware and software procurement process; and establishment and maintenance of a roster of potential suppliers. - Active networking with clients, addressing and improving common areas of concern. - Provision of consulting services, ICT audit inspections and/or facilitation of selection/deployment of software to projects, seeking technical advice and support from HQ ICT personnel, as required. - Liaison with UNOPS HQ, and other relevant units, to determine hardware and software requirements. - Acting as effective UNOPS' liaison with the local UN partner agencies on issues relating to UNOPS ICT.
2. Network administration - Ensures efficient network administration, focusing on achievement of the following results: - Maintenance of network and internet connectivity to ensure stable operation, availability of bandwidth, and reliable connection to the internet and HQ based systems - Valid hardware maintenance agreements, to ensure timely resolution of hardware failures. - A stable and responsive network environment based on daily monitoring of the network connection. - Ensure confidentiality, integrity and availability of UNOPS ICT systems and UNOPS information assets. - Monitor and maintain proper backups of UNOPS data. Maintenance of measures in place for business continuity and disaster recovery processes and procedures Maintenance of video conference and telephony operations
3. Team Management - Facilitates the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development. - Provides oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practice.
4. Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing - Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources. - Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
- Participates, organizes and delivers trainings for the operations/ projects staff in ICT services.
Education - Completion of Secondary education is required. - Diploma or University Degree, preferably in information sciences, computer sciences or engineering, is desirable
- A minimum of 6 years of progressively responsible experience in the field of information technology and/or telecommunications and systems, preferably in an international environment
Language requirements - Full working knowledge of English is required - Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) Contract level: Local ICA 6 / ICS-6 Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
This position is based in Switzerland and the contract fee is not exempt from Swiss laws, including but not limited to laws regarding taxation, social security, accident and health insurance.
- Please note, this position is based in Geneva, Switzerland and therefore, the selected incumbent will have to register with the Swiss authorities and comply with local regulations, including but not limited to - Taxation and Social Security - including the employers' contribution. Additionally, the incumbent will have to purchase a Swiss based insurance (LaMal) within the first three months on contract, UNOPS will help subsidize the cost of this insurance, upon show of proof and for an amount up to 545 CHF
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Geneva, Switzerland is a UN Family Duty Station
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.