IC-023-22 National Ecotourism Site Design Expert (Re-advertised)
Application deadline 8 months ago: Monday 6 Jun 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a National Consultant contract. More about National Consultant contracts.
UNDP Iraq seeks to implement a 3-year “Climate Action for Human Security in Iraqi Marshlands” project, jointly with the Iraqi Ministry of Environment (MoEn) and the local government in Misan. The project strategy is a direct response to the current levels of severe environmental degradation in the Al Hawizeh marshes, amidst returning IDPs. The projected changes in marsh and upstream climate regimes may well reverse the pattern of return of IDPs to the marshes and induce a second wave of displacement over time due to the deterioration of marshland biodiversity and the ecosystem services on which the livelihoods of returning IDPs depend. This project is considered a pilot project within the Regional umbrella project (SDG Climate Facility project: Climate Action for Human Security) Funded by SIDA includes regional Arab-wide as well as national-level activities. UNDP will work in close coordination with the MoEn and with Misan Governor’s office, both of which will designate official focal points who will provide management support to UNDP for the implementation of project activities.
The Al Hawizeh Marshes are located in the Misan governorate in southeast Iraq just east of the Tigris River. Together with the adjacent Central and Al Hammar marshes within the Thi Qar and Basra governorates, respectively, they are at the southern tip of large alluvial plain fed by the flows of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers and their distributaries. The three marsh areas consist of a set of interconnected, shallow, freshwater lakes, marshes and seasonally inundated large, flat floodplains.
Based on consultations with the government, local communities, and civil society stakeholders on climate risks in the marshlands and priority activities to reduce displacement pressure, the overall objective of the project is to enhance climate security among returning IDPs to the Al Hawizeh marshes.
Duties and Responsibilities
The National Ecotourism Site Design Expert will act as a national expert with the following responsibilities:
- Data Collection and Records Documentation
The consultant shall collect all project related information including, but not limited, to:
- Maps for project area relevant locations.
- Site plans for the construction site.
- Full site survey for the existing situation –if any-.
- All structurally required information including dead weights, live weights, wind pressures, external forces, geotechnical information, etc.
- All relevant sites specific information including geography, topography, groundwater table, soil conditions, site boundaries, etc.
- National requirements regarding the targeted facilities.
- Breakdown of prices from recent projects of relevant nature.
The Consultant has to collect design data from all sources and not only depend on reviewing the given baseline data.
- Collected Data Review and Analysis
Shall review and study all collected data, reports, plans, maps, drawings, etc with the purpose of fully familiarizing itself with the project area and conditions, identifying information gaps, arranging for additional data requirements collection, field investigations and finally commencing the engineering services.
- Interviews with UNDP and Counterparts
In order to ensure a coherent approach, the consultant shall launch a series of extensive consultations with female and male counterparts in UNDP, local authorities, local community, Ministry of Environment and other related ministries, with a view of defining the overall requirements in all aspects including:
- Architectural and civil setup.
- Mechanical and electrical setup.
- Surface areas.
- Utilities’ requirements.
- Minimum standards.
- Design standards and performance criteria.
During this task, the consultant shall also arrange for land plots turnover including fixation of site boundary marks and identification on surveying plans.
Following completion of this task, the consultant is expected to have developed a full idea regarding site requirement that may evolve into a design concept.
- Field Verification of Collected Data
Carry out all required field investigations and verifications with the purpose of verifying the collected data, information, maps, plans, etc and for collecting and additionally required information.
- Surveying Works
Carry out the required detailed leveling surveys for the site. The site survey shall include all boundaries, general location, angels, lengths, surrounding facilities, levels in 5 meters intervals, etc to enable the preparations of a detailed site layout
- Preliminary Engineering Services for the Facilities included in the Scope of Service
Prepare all required preliminary architectural and general engineering designs, drawings, calculations, plans, BOQs with cost estimates (most of the material of this ecotourism complex are from the nature/traditional as shown in the below indicative photos), etc. for all project components including:
- Site layout plans including all facilities and utilities, etc.
- Detailed architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, landscaping designs and drawings for the site facilities under the scope of work.
- Designs and full technical specifications for the machinery, equipment & furniture.
- Municipal power supply, water supply and sewage requirements.
- Water utilities (i.e. PV solar drinking water plant).
- Electrical utilities. (local government in Misan agreed to, in principal, to provide electrical power needed to the ecotourism facility, in addition to the solar energy provided by the project and to be included in the design)
- Wastewater utilities.
- Mechanical utilities.
- Internal & external infra-structure.
- Machinery, equipment, furniture, signage … etcPreliminary Design Report
The report shall include Detailed Comprehensive Assessment for all categories and specialties with Recommendation. In addition, the report shall include all collected data and information, carried out designs and drawings for all categories (architectural, structural, electrical, mechanical, infra-structure, landscaping … etc.), calculations, BOQ, estimated costs, technical specifications, schedules … etc.
- Detailed Designs and Construction Drawings
Based on the findings of forgoing activities, prepare all necessary detailed designs and technical specifications for the works under consideration, including architectural, landscaping, structural, civil, mechanical, electrical, control, instrumentation, etc for site including all components.
Detailed architectural drawings shall be prepared. Detailed plans shall be plotted to suitable scales in accordance with international standards, illustrating different parts of the buildings, fully dimensioned and detailed. Sections, elevations and side views shall be prepared to illustrate the different parts, finishing, and levels of the various internal and external slabs. Reflected ceiling plans to show the required ceiling design and lighting fittings locations shall also be prepared. Special details to larger scale shall be prepared showing whatever needed, WC’s, and any special purpose parts with the purpose of clearly portraying the scope of required works.
Finishing materials doors, windows, all types of finishing works and detailed drawings shall be prepared. Detailed drawings for the latter shall also be prepared to define their construction, shape model, size, materials, and specify hardware lists. The architectural drawings shall also allow for detailing of any other construction or finishing requirements.
Landscaping inclusive full detailed infra-structure plans for site shall also be prepared including water supply system, sewage system, fire-fighting system, electrical system, roads, green belt, irrigation system, roads lighting signage system, illumination, etc. Roads drawings shall include design, profiles, cross sections & signage. Mechanical drawings shall be in adequate detail illustrating; equipment; piping; fittings; electromechanical components; connections, etc. Full detailed plans for equipment, machinery, furniture … etc. must be submitted duly.
Electrical drawings shall include wiring diagrams, single line diagrams, site illumination, cabling, grounding, control, instrumentation, etc for all components and for site. The drawings shall illustrate electric operation and control panels, switchboards, measurement equipment panels, synchronizing equipment, lighting panels, locations of roads electrical poles, routes of electrical cables, design & details of electrical cables, details of lighting poles (solar lighting method) etc.
Careful studies shall be carried out to select the most appropriate and economic structural design. The latter shall ensure reduction of both construction period and costs. Detailed structural drawings shall be prepared illustrating the required detail for the foundations. The stability rigidity of the structure is the consultant's full responsibility lonely.
Foundations for relevant electromechanical equipment such as switchboards, standby diesel generation sets, etc shall also be drawn in sufficient details showing all required insulations and supports.
Work drawings to suitable scales and large-scale details shall be prepared. The drawings will comprise plans, sections and elevations and will provide sufficient details for the construction and installation of all works.
Provide and give assurance of the highest quality of detailed engineering consulting services required to do civil works design; topographic survey; detailed engineering design; technical specifications, unit price analysis, BOQs engineering estimates, construction, drawings
Provide Technical Specifications that shall comply with the latest Design Standards and shall include the descriptions of the work items, material requirements, construction requirements and methods of measurements.
Provide Time schedule that shall illustrate the design stages. This is a graphic representation of the project activities, the time it takes to complete them, and the sequence in which they must be done.
Prepare the following documents for the work after UNDP’s approval on preliminary design plan proposal, taking into consideration the local regulatory, standards and in accordance with the required specifications:
- Detailed bill of quantities for each structure/scheme;
- Technical requirements / specifications for the required task, civil, mechanical, electrical;
- Engineering Estimates detailed budget for the civil, mechanical, electrical, surveillance and architectural work;
- Detail drawings/ (depends on the required task) that should include but not limited to;
- Detailed civil and architectural drawings that should include “Profiles, elevations, plans, and details”;
- Detailed structural drawings;
- Detailed electrical drawings;
- Detailed finishing tables & drawings;
- Detailed mechanical drawings;
- Detailed landscaping & infra-structure drawings
- Detailed machinery, equipment, furniture, equipment; signage … etc;
- Detailed sanitary drawings;
- Material Specifications including standard coding requirements for materials;
Any other documentation required for the tender process.
Specifications, Bill of Quantities and Final Cost Estimates
The consultant shall prepare all required technical specifications in accordance with national, international and UNDP standards for all works components designed. Furthermore, detailed BOQ’s shall also be prepared of all items of works and for each component and subcomponent on separate basis. The BOQ’s shall be developed to such a level of details as to allow easy estimation of construction costs, which would allow receipt of responsive contractor bids for the works under consideration. Following preparation of the BOQ’s, the consultant shall utilize the data and information collected in foregoing tasks to prepare detailed cost estimates of all included works. The specifications and BOQ’s shall be formatted as per an agreed international/national format.
The report shall include all collected data and information, carried out designs and drawings for all categories (architectural, structural, electrical, mechanical, infra-structure, landscaping … etc.), calculations, detailed BOQ, estimated costs, technical specifications, schedules … etc. and shall clearly portray all spent efforts during the entire phase.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Maturity combined with tact and diplomacy;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
Knowledge and skills requirement:
- Shows ability to communicate and to exercise advocacy skills in front of a diverse set of audience
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Ability to work independently with strong sense of initiative, discipline and self-motivation.
- Knowledge of Iraq’a social, political and economic situation
- Knowledge of UNDP and its mandate in the area of democratic governance and programme development
- Excellent analytical/conceptual thinking
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills
Required Skills and Experience
Qualifications, skills, and professional experience of the National Ecotourism Site Design Expert should include the following:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, or related fields
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in designing building complex with houses, water facilities etc.
- Experience in designing tourism projects
- Experience in Iraqi Marshland projects
- Previous work experience with UN agencies
- Excellent oral and written command of the English and Arabic languages
PRICE PROPOSAL AND SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS
UNDP reserves the right to withhold all or a portion of payment if performance is unsatisfactory, if work/outputs is incomplete, not delivered or for failure to meet deadlines.
Evaluation Method and Criteria:
Individual consultant will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
The award of the contract shall be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
* Technical Criteria weight 70%
* Financial Criteria weight 30%
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70 points (70% of the total technical points) would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
Technical Evaluation (70%)
Qualification, Experience and Technical Proposal (100 marks):
Hold a bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, or related fields
Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in designing building complex with houses, water facilities etc.
Experience in designing tourism projects
Experience in Iraqi Marshland projects
Previous work experience with UN agencies
Excellent oral and written command of the English and Arabic languages
Financial Evaluation (30%):
The following formula will be used to evaluate financial proposal:
p = y (µ/z), where
p = points for the financial proposal being evaluated
y = maximum number of points for the financial proposal
µ = price of the lowest priced proposal
z = price of the proposal being evaluated
Documents to be included when submitting the proposals:
Interested consultant must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications in one single PDF document:
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references.
- Financial Proposal shall be submitted with a price proposal
- Lumpsum Fee – The contractor shall propose an all-inclusive lumpsum fee followed by a cost breakdown, which should be inclusive of his professional fee, local communication cost and insurance (inclusive of medical health insurance and evacuation).
- DSA/Living Allowance – The Consultant shall be separately paid the Living allowance/DSA as per applicable UNDP rate. Deductions from DSA shall be made as per applicable UNDP policy when accommodation and other facilities are provided by UNDP. An estimated provision in this regard shall be included in the contract. The consultant need not quote for DSA in Financial Proposal.
- The total professional fee shall be converted into a lump-sum contract and payments under the contract shall be made on submission and acceptance of deliverables under the contract in accordance with the schedule of payment linked with deliverables and at the end of assignment.
All materials developed will remain the copyright of UNDP Iraq. UNDP Iraq will be free to adapt and modify them in the future.
Annexes (click on the hyperlink to access the documents):
- Annex 1 - IC Contract Template (for information);
- Annex 2 – IC General Terms and Conditions (for information);
Annex 3 – RLA Template (if consultant wishes to be recruited through an employer) - (for information).
The detailed terms of reference and the Letter of Confirming Interest and Availability form are available in the following link with mentioned Job Title above : https://procurement-notices.undp.org/
Please note you can upload only one document in the online application, therefore combine the CV or P11, and the Letter of Confirmation and Availability as one pdf and upload it accordingly.