Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding Coordinator
Application deadline 1 year ago: Sunday 21 Nov 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a DRC - Expatriate contract. More about DRC - Expatriate contracts.
Overall purpose of the role: DRC is seeking a dynamic person to fill the role of Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding Coordinator for its Iraq country programme. This position will be responsible for developing relevant and effective programming and ensuring quality implementation in the areas of social cohesion and peacebuilding, as well as contributing to the overall development and quality of the humanitarian disarmament portfolio.
Programme development, coordination, and oversight
- Lead on the design, formulation, and articulation of the technical components through high-quality proposal development, in coordination with the Head of Programme and Programme Development Manager and, where relevant, with the HDP Operations Manager.
- Provide key inputs into donor reporting and relevant donor communications.
- Ensure that all DRC activities are coordinated with and complementary to each other and well-coordinated within DRC and with external partners.
- Provide oversight of overall program implementation relevant to HDP, and ensure high quality project implementation to agreed indicators, budgets, and workplans in accordance with donor and internal regulations
- Maintain oversight and monitoring of overall sector budget, including budget development, in coordination with HDP OM, relevant Project Managers, PDM, and Area Managers, monitoring for timely sector-level spend, and initiate corrective action, including internal and donor budget realignments
Staff capacity development
- Provide technical support to peacebuilding and social cohesion staff to enhance their relevant skills and capacities to deliver programmes and projects effectively and with quality.
- Where relevant, and in coordination with the DRC HoP and Operations Manager, provide capacity building support to humanitarian mine action staff in cross-cutting areas of project implementation such as reporting, quality assurance, conflict sensitivity and systematization of lessons learned and best practices.
- Carry out field visits to project sites in support of HDP project implementation staff and provide advice and mentoring to improve implementation.
- Provide guidance to HDP staff on approaches to capacity development and guidance for engaging and working with national partners
Programme Quality and Strategy Development
- Ensure quality and coherence of DRC’s HDP activities in each country and monitor and follow up on the implementation of the plan together with the Head of Programme, HDP Operations Manager, and other relevant management staff in country.
- Support the identification of new and innovative methods for the improvement of DRC’s peacebuilding programming across Iraq and disseminate and operationalise guidance on developed practices from DRC’s HDP sector and monitor trends and practices from the broader peacebuilding and community safety communities of practice.
- Support with strong and coherent data management, monitoring and evaluation within HDP, in close collaboration with the MEAL Team.
- Support quality programme assessments, baseline studies, reviews, and evaluations as well as impact assessments in close coordination with the regional HDP Coordinator, MEAL team, and HoP.
- Develop, in line with the 2025 Strategy and the overall HDP Sector Strategy and in close collaboration with HoP and other coordinators, a country sectoral strategy for HDP, and support with the integration of HDP within the broader country strategy process.
- Undertake a mapping of national peacebuilding and/or humanitarian mine action organizations whose vision, mission, and values align with DRC and hold potential for partnerships.
- Work closely with other sector leads to identify and develop areas for integration of HDP within DRC’s broader programmatic portfolio.
Fundraising, liaison, and communications
- Support the Head of Programme in resource mobilization efforts including technical liaison and engagement with donors, stakeholders, technical working groups, forums etc
- Coordinate with other actors and stakeholders both at the local and national level to ensure that DRC’s HDP programming in well-linked into other related initiatives.
- Map donor priorities within given sector and identify new opportunities
- Disseminate results in varied ways to enhance use in reports and in decision making.
- Ensure documentation and consolidation of success stories, in coordination with DRC’s communications specialist, which can be communicated externally and to ensure that DRC is able to articulate and document relevant best practice.
- Ensure adherence to DRC’s Age, Gender, and Diversity policy and AGD programmatic minimum standards
- Ensure compliance with zero-tolerance to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy
- Ensure compliance with DRC guidelines and policies on HR, admin, finance, and supply.
- Assist in developing job descriptions and in the recruitment of HDP staff (national and international)
- Perform other relevant tasks as requested by and in discussion with the Head of Programme
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 3 years of practical experience in peacebuilding or social cohesion programming, including with an international NGO
- Experience and strong understanding of peacebuilding programmes is essential, with experience in and familiarity of humanitarian mine action desirable.
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff in social cohesion and peacebuilding programming, and or conflict management, mediation, and dialogue facilitation
- Proven experience with fundraising, budget design and monitoring, and managing multiple funding grants
- Demonstrable leadership and management skills and ability to work with diverse group of people from multiple nationalities
- Demonstrated commitment to apply an age, gender and diversity (AGD) and Conflict Sensitive approach to programming.
- Experience working with national partners in social cohesion initiatives desirable
- Master's degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field. Postgraduate degree may be accepted in lieu of masters.
- Practical trainings or courses in conflict management, mediation and dialogue facilitation
English fluent (to high standard); Arabic an advantage
- National Mine Action Authorities, peacebuilding, stabilization and social cohesion stakeholders, local authorities, government, donors,
- Technical Coordinators, Advocacy Advisor, Area Managers and Project Managers, Regional HDP Advisor, HDP colleagues in DRC HQ, among others