Human Rights Field Officer
Application deadline 2 years ago: Tuesday 27 Oct 2020 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Coordinator of the Head of the Human Rights Field Office and the overall supervision of the Director of MINUSMA/ Human Rights and Protection Division, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Gather information and report on the human rights situation in a designated geographical area, including through close cooperation with other United Nations actors and the community;
- Keep the supervisor regularly informed on developments concerning the human rights situation;
- Visit and monitor detention centres for compliance with international human rights norms;
- Monitor trials for compliance with international human rights norms;
- Conduct fact-finding missions; Participate in monitoring activities;
- Carry out investigations into abuses/violations of human rights or humanitarian law;
- Prepare case files for submission to the authorities and for inclusion in the OHCHR data base;
- Assist in the designing and the delivering of capacity building activities;
- Participate in the establishment and maintenance of contacts with local authorities as well as international organizations operating in the country and civil society;
- Perform other related duties as required by the Director of the Human Rights Division;
- Use the OHCHR database to enter cases and document allegations and violations of human rights violations;
- When working with national personnel or (non-)governmental counterparts, the Volunteer is strongly encouraged to set aside dedicated time for training, coaching, mentoring and capacity development.
Required degree level:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
Law, political science or social sciences; international specialized studies on human rights preferred.
24 months of relevant experience in human rights. Knowledge of international mechanisms to seek redress for Human Rights violations an asset. Experience in drafting various documents, including reports on human rights issues, and in research will be an asset.
- French(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- English(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise:
Human rights, International law
Area of expertise details:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook;
- Knowledge of international human rights instruments and rules for the protection and promotion of human rights;
- Knowledge of international mechanisms to seek redress for Human Rights violations an asset;
- Experience in drafting various documents, including reports on human rights issues, and in research will be an asset;
- Experience in using databases
- Field experience, including working on issues of protection of human rights defenders/victims or other groups at risk, will be an asset;
- Willingness to work in difficult field locations;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call for to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 27 Octobre 2020