Human Resources Officer
Application deadline in 10 hours: Thursday 22 Apr 2021
This is a LICA Specialist-8 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. More about LICA Specialist-8 contracts.
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The Project will fall under the purview of the UNOPS KEMC (Kenya Multi Country Office) Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and Southern Africa. This includes a large portfolio of Infrastructure, procurement and project management service projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Eritrea, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and several Island states. This specific position will be based in Mozambique.
Mozambique is recovering very slowly from the effects of Cyclone Idai and Kenneth which struck in quick succession in 2019. The country is in pursuit of peace between the Government and RENAMO - a process supported by UNOPS. At the same time, the North of Mozambique is experiencing an insurgency that has made thousands homeless and is already spilling into Tanzania.
UNOPS is preparing for quick mobilization in Mozambique and therefore multiple positions are being advertised to enable rapid deployment and response to this emergency.
Under the direct supervision of the HR Manager, the Human Resources Officer delivers high-quality and consistent delivery of effective HR services (recruitment, contract and performance management of talent) to the client office, ensuring full compliance with UN rules and regulations, UNOPS policies and procedures and internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management. Under the guidance, the HR Officer provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues in a collaborative, client-oriented manner.
- Support to policy development and implementation
- Advisory Services
- Talent Acquisition and Administration
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
Support to policy development and implementation
- Contribute to HR policy development and corporate HR initiatives by compiling and maintaining data on trends, risks and opportunities and sharing local HR best practices.
- Provide technical or administrative services in support of HR initiatives for attainment of business objectives in line with the corporate HR strategy.
- Generate strategic and operational workforce data for planning, including related statistical summaries and movements of UNOPS personnel within the relevant business unit/s.
- Communicate HR policy changes and new HR initiatives to management and personnel, providing guidance as needed
Advisory Services- Provide guidance on HR related systems and processes including but not limited to Recruitment, Contracts, Position Management, Benefits and Entitlements consistent with UNOPS rules and procedures. - Provide advice and answers to personnel on routine cases for HR services such as the performance appraisal process, learning & development activities, contracts, benefits, entitlements and remuneration and career development. - Assist to provide guidance as needed on sensitive matters including grievances, potential violations in code of conduct, harassment, abuse, workplace disputes, performance improvement plans, complex employee relations matters, etc. - Encourage line management responsibility for implementation of HR policies and effective team management, encouraging dialogue and two-way constructive feedback. - Collaborate with leadership to support institutional gender and diversity initiatives, providing education and advice on issues related to equity, compliance, inclusion, and diversity.
Talent Acquisition and Administration - Implement talent acquisition activities in line with UNOPS policies and processes covering Recruitment, Onboarding, Performance Management, Learning and Development, Change Management, Salary and Benefit administration, Contract Administration, Succession Planning and Out-processing. - Administer contracts, entitlements, loans, exchanges, and secondments. Inform and advise UNOPS personnel, consultants, partners and project personnel on their conditions of service and entitlements according to their contract modality, expediting actions to facilitate their efficient, timely, and client-focused onboarding. - Support recruitment processes ensuring best practices are used for effective and efficient talent acquisition in line with UNOPS policy. Utilize and maintain recruitment plans, tools and policy guidance to efficiently and effectively recruit and retain a diverse workforce to meet the needs of the business objectives. Maintain personnel rosters. - Provide technical inputs into, and organize straightforward components of, regional and national personnel realignment exercises, including job fairs, to ensure timely competency elaboration, sourcing, selection, placement of required talent and transitions as well as due process. - Identify key talent areas and provide elements of coherent, well-developed plans for obtaining, developing, and managing critical talent. Utilize recruitment plans, tools and policy guidance to efficiently and effectively recruit and retain a diverse workforce to meet the needs of the business objectives. - Liaise with UNOPS’ HR related groups on personnel administration matters. - Guide business units in engagement and work enrichment initiatives and development of annual training plans.
Knowledge building and knowledge sharing - Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for personnel and other personnel on HR-related topics. - Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources. - Substantively contribute to the planning and development of the HR components of the office annual report. - Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and put to use productively.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration, social or behavioral sciences is required.
- Minimum of two years of experience in professional-level recruitment and/or HR generalist services in an international, public or corporate organization is required.
- Some experience in UN system organizations preferably in a developing country is desirable.
- Proficiency in the usage of computers and office software packages (Google Suite) is desired.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Portuguese are required.
- Working knowledge of another, official UN language is desirable
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- ****This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Mozambican nationals or persons with valid residence permits****
- ****This position is based in a family duty station****
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA
Contract level: Local ICA Specialist
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.