Helper (2 Positions): SC1 in Hama & SSA1 in Homs Field Offices
Application deadline in 7 days: Saturday 15 May 2021
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
All applications should be received no later than 15 May, 2021.
CONTRACT TYPE AND DURATION
This position is open to Syrian or Syrian/Palestinian nationals, or holders of a work permit and residency in Syria.
Contract Type: Service Contract (SC1) for Hama & Special Service Agreement (SSA1) for Homs
Duration: 11 months for the SSA contract, and 12 months for the SC Contract.
Duty Station: 1 post in Hama Field Office and 1 post in Homs Field Office
Number of required employees: 2
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
The helper will work in the admin Unit and in collaboration with the other units of WFP.
This post is based in Hama and Homs and follow under the direct supervision of the BSA Officer in Hama.
To support site maintenance services in providing cleaning, laundry, basic garden maintenance, porter duties and other related manual work, to ensure WFP premises are well-organised, kept in a clean & hygienic condition and are in compliance with the established standards.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Within delegated authority, the helper will be responsible for the following duties: (These duties are generic and thus are not all-inclusive nor are all duties carried out by all helpers)
- Perform basic maintenance of outdoor/indoor environments to keep them clean, well-organized and in a good condition.
- Provide support in loading/offloading and moving office equipment, furniture, baggage and other items for efficient site maintenance services.
- Support preparation and delivery of food and beverages, arrange for basic refurbishment and maintenance of kitchen area and equipment to facilitate efficient service.
- Provide laundry services including basic maintenance of related equipment, to ensure that WFP office and guesthouse items are clean.
- Provide efficient cleaning services including kitchen and toilets to ensure clean, hygienic and well organized working environment.
Functional Capabilities and skills required to deliver outputs
- Knowledge of basic equipment and use of cleaning materials/solutions.
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment and supplies related to work in a good working condition
- Ability to work in all weather conditions and meets the deadlines.
- High sense of responsibility and initiative.
- Punctuality, honesty and integrity.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment, Ability to work in a team.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education is desirable. Experience: One year of overall experience. Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in Arabic, and intermediate knowledge of oral and written communication in English.
Desired Knowledge & Skills:
• Knowledge of basic equipment and use of cleaning materials/solutions. • Ability to operate and maintain equipment and supplies related to work in a good working condition. • Ability to work in all weather conditions and meet the deadlines. • High sense of responsibility and initiative. • Punctuality, honesty and integrity. • Ability to work in a multicultural environment. • Ability to work in a team.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Builds an understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Approaches individual tasks and responsibilities with a positive attitude and demeanor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Understands the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Connects individual tasks and responsibilities to unit’s goals and mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Seeks opportunities to build and enhance individual skills.
- Create an inclusive culture: Demonstrates respect and understanding for diversity and cultural differences.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Identifies and approaches colleagues or supervisors to serve as coaches.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Sets clear goals and measurable targets for own tasks and responsibilities.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Assesses own tasks and responsibilities to find ways to be more efficient.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains accurate records of completion times and tasks in own areas of responsibility.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Understands responsibilities and the metrics associated with own tasks.
- Be Decisive: Notifies supervisors of dangerous situations or potential issues that may arise while in the field or office.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Understands WFP’s organizational structure, including the purpose and mission of each unit.
- Build strong external partnerships: Supports team in working with colleagues and WFP’s partners in the field toward common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Maintains a professional and courteous relationship with other WFP employees and partners in the field.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Understands own team’s contributions in its partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in terms of “Experience”:
- Company/Organization name and scope of work of the organization
- Exact Position Title
- Contract type: part-time, full-time, volunteer, consultant, or freelancer
- Start and End date of Employment for each position: From (dd/mm/yyyy) to (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Responsibilities: To mention the main responsibilities that highlight your gained skills and experience
- A proof of your experience will be required in the final stage of recruitment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the next stage of the selection process. Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once application is submitted.
HOW TO APPLY
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.