The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power.
The IRC seeks a Graphic Designer who will support country program teams in Nairobi, Kenya and Kampala, Uganda in the implementation of the IKEA Foundation funded Re:Build program. Re:Build is a five year 30 million Euro program that aims to support urban refugees and host communities in Kampala and Nairobi to achieve economic self-reliance through supporting 1) Access to sustainable livelihoods and 2) Ensuring that strong markets and effective and responsive city services are accessible to all. The Graphic Designer will report to the Communications Manager and supports in creating program’s designs using print, electronic, and film media. This will involve creating brochures, publicity products and designing project reports and other print and electronic materials to promote and communicate Re:Build project needs.
• Undertake field visit to collect photos and other contents for design
• Create a wide range of graphics layouts for program and network which includes illustrations and photography
• Design and create presentations in PowerPoint – working from concepts, drawings, and very basic instruction from the project team
• Ensure that the Brand is always executed in a consistent manner across all areas of work , presentation of work all final concepts and projects to the relevant department
• Design marketing collateral e.g., newsletters, brochure covers, posters and manuals to fit the project identity
• Design electronic invitations and event related collateral
• Illustrate concepts by designing examples of art arrangement, size, type size and style and submitting them for approval
• Review designs for errors before printing or publishing them
• Review final layouts and suggesting improvements when necessary
• Create images that convey a message
• Select colors, images, text style, and layout in line with Brand
• Plan concepts by studying relevant information and materials
• Receive, track, and implement all design briefs in accordance with Re: Build and IRC brand
• Coordinate all work with Brand and Communications team, internal clients, agencies, web designer, marketing, printers, and colleagues as necessary
• Actively communicate with clients about layout and design
• Contribute to team efforts by accomplishing tasks as needed
• Degree, diploma, or relevant qualification in graphic design
• Knowledgeable on Adobe creative suites such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
• Knowledge of Dreamweaver, HTML and CSS (advantageous)
• Creating HTML mailers (advantageous)
• Basic photography and videography skills
• Video-editing capabilities (advantageous)
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Equality and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Diversity Equality, and Inclusion (DEI), Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons, and several others.
Narrowing the Gender Gap: The International Rescue Committee is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including a flexible hour (when possible), maternity leave, transportation support, and gender-sensitive security protocols.
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws
WOMEN, MINORITIES AND PEOPLE LIVING WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY