Application deadline 1 year ago: Thursday 11 Mar 2021 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a UNV International Specialist contract. This kind of contract is known as International UN Volunteer. It is normally internationally recruited only. More about UNV International Specialist contracts.
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Field Engineer, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Performing and coordinating all tasks related to generator installations in the mission including: new generators and allied works; large capacity generators to form complete power generating stations, identifying sites and advising on platforms and generator houses in various locations through the mission area;
- Ensuring that the generator installations/works/maintenance meet the safety standards in accordance with international codes and regulations;
- Responsible on scheduled routine maintenance, emergency repairs and overhauling of generators (static/mobile), including the installation of auxiliary fuel systems, such as main tanks, transfer pump and filters;
- Checking/calculating accurate requirement of electrical loads for proper sizing of generators; analysing and correcting distortions on loads and balancing the loading on all three phases of three-phase generators; trouble-shooting the causes of load imbalance and providing solutions;
- Performing surveys, preparing technical reports, drawings and material quantities for operations / maintenance materials and carry out physical check of all received spares;
- Recording and reporting periodically the POL (Petrol Oil and Lubricant) consumption against the power generation to ensure compliance with UN standards;
- Performing generator synchronisation works and ensuring the generators are well synchronised to minimise the fuel consumption / maintenance per power plant;
- Coordinating, monitoring and evaluating all tasks performed by a contractor to ensure compliance with the Operation and Maintenance schedule and the generators manufacture guidance;
- Ensuring all contractor and staff under his supervision are complying with UNMISS waste management and environmental policy;
- Preparing and submitting design for approval for simple installations, preparing material specifications for the purpose of raising requisitions for new power plant;
- Planning well in advance to provide yearly / quarterly lists of demand of spare parts for diesel engines, alternators, and control panels as well as necessary tools and equipment;
- Monitoring tools/equipment and spare parts inventory; and adequate supply of spare parts for routine scheduled maintenance, as well as maintaining log books, maintenance records and spare parts’ consumption records to ensure the use of the spare parts in most productive / economical manner;
- Liaising with Electro-Mechanical Engineer for expert advice on generator works; and Electrician regarding electrical matters and other engineering sub-units for generator works;
- Providing instructions / guidance on end-use care and servicing of generator sets;
- Training users for proper operation, upkeep and general maintenance of generators;
- Coordinating with outside agencies appointed to enhance the unit’s maintenance capabilities;
- Providing input for data entry in the asset control database immediately after receipt, repairs/overhaul, transfer, and disposal of generators;
- Managing, supervising and delegating tasks to unit’s personnel;
- Performing other related duties, as required.
Required degree level:
Education - Additional Comments:
- A minimum of College Diploma in mechanical engineering or related field is required.
- Recognized and valid license to repair, maintain, troubleshoot and install diesel power generators is desirable.
- Training / Course on Generator Synchro is desirable.
- At least 3 years of progressive experience in installation, repair and troubleshooting of generators and power supply systems;
- Experience with standard techniques and practices for maintenance of generators from 2.5KVA to 500KVA and power supply systems required;
- Working experience with UN organizations and/or other international knowledge of the operation and maintenance of a solar farm should be desirable.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Area of expertise:
Area of expertise details:
- Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office application (excel, word, power point) and other IT applications and office technology equipment;
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System;
- Sound security awareness.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 11 March 2021