Application deadline 4 months ago: Sunday 8 May 2022 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a IICA-2 contract. This kind of contract is known as International Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally internationally recruited only. It's an external contract. It usually requires 5 years of experience, depending on education. More about IICA-2 contracts.
Background Information - IPAS
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Business efficiency: IPAS recommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
Sneak peak of our working environment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8CyuSqczvI
IPAS Finance supports UNOPS Country Offices in all aspects of UNOPS finances. Our three major areas of support are:
- Project Finance advisory support
- Corporate Financial reporting support
- Banking & treasury support
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the supervision of the Financial Management Advisor, the incumbent will work closely with Operations Centers and field offices, primarily to provide everyday support and solutions to corporate implementation initiatives. The incumbent will keep a balance between operational implementation efficiencies and policy/rules requirements, and also contribute towards long-term solutions by channeling practical recommendations through the Finance Senior Manager for improvements in policies and processes for efficient project implementation.
Besides this ongoing regular position, IPAS Finance also intends to recruit candidates for retainer contracts (persons who take on ad hoc/part-time assignments) through this same vacancy announcement.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Financial Advisory Support to UNOPS Operational Centers
- Operational Support to projects/programmes implementation
Build and maintain an active body of knowledge
1. Financial Advisory Support to UNOPS Operational Centers
- Work closely with field offices to provide solutions on operational financial matters;
- Support and advise Field Offices to ensure full compliance of financial activities, financial recording and reporting with UNOPS rules, regulations, and policies;
- Provide quality control of Field Offices submissions by performing the review, and analysis of financial data and processes.
- Provide advice for the development and implementation of Financial Standard Operating Procedures, guidelines and control mechanisms, in conformity with UNOPS rules and regulations;
Provide recommendations and advice for the implementation of effective internal controls and cost-saving measures.
2. Operational Support for projects/programmes implementation - Support Project and Programme Managers to identify key financial risks and mitigation measures;
- Provide advisory services to Project and Programme Managers to define internal controls compliance with UNOPS rules and procedures;
- Advise Project/Programme Managers and Project Support Officers in the formulation and monitoring of project/programme budgets;
- Coordinate and support the projects in preparation and timely submission of periodic project reports;
- Review and certify the appropriateness of project financial transactions as per applicable UNOPS policies, regulations, and rules;
- Review and pre-clear submissions for write-off, provisions, and asset disposal;
- Review and endorse requests for Advance Financing;
- Review and approve adjustments to project expenditures as required ( e.g., GLJEs)
- Assist projects/programmes with audits and self-audits and quality assurance activities as required;
- Support projects/programmes in the preparation of ad-hoc reports as requested by internal/external auditors;
- Support the implementation of audit recommendations as required;
- Support the preparation of new projects and programmes and review and recommend new engagements and amendments from a finance perspective.
3. Build and maintain an active body of knowledge - Contribute with practical knowledge to the enhancements of practice policy developments; - Actively contributes to global knowledge by maintaining knowledge systems and sharing information and knowledge across the regions; - Provide training to personnel on processes, rules/policies, and systems; - Contribute to product designs and implementation; - Recommend solutions and process efficiency initiatives; - Contribute to the development and maintenance of corporate systems and tools.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization. Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) is required, preferably in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or similar field.
Bachelor’s degree with an additional two years of relevant work experience will be accepted in lieu of a Masters/advanced university degree.
Minimum 5 years of experience in Finance is required (if in possession of advanced university degree)
- Field experience is highly desirable
- Broader experience within more than one management practice is desirable
- Some experience in the UN organizations is an asset.
- Full working knowledge of English
- Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish desirable
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: IICA Contract level: IICA 2 Contract duration: Ongoing/Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Although the primary position this VA seeks to recruit is an ongoing full-time position based in Copenhagen, the hiring unit will additionally consider applicants who wish to engage with UNOPS on retainer contracts (ad hoc/part-time assignments).
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- A retainer Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) is issued for a period of time during which the services of the individual contractor may be required intermittently.
- A retainer ICA will specify a unit price (e.g. amount per day actually worked). For budgetary purposes, a monetary limit will be specified at the time the ICA is awarded and issued.
- UNOPS shall have no obligation to obtain any minimum quantity of Services from the Individual Contractor during the duration of the retainer ICA.
- Payment will be made only after completion of work (if any) or reaching agreed milestones.
- A retainer ICA does not accord any exclusivity to the Individual Contractor with respect to the Services listed in the job description. UNOPS shall have no limitation on its right to obtain Services of the same kind from any other source at any time.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.