Application deadline in 3 days: Monday 6 Feb 2023 at 23:59 UTCOpen application form
This is a LICA-6 contract. This kind of contract is known as Local Individual Contractor Agreements. It is normally only for nationals. It's an external contract. It usually requires 6 years of experience, depending on education. More about LICA-6 contracts.
Background Information - UNOPS
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
The Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO) was set up in August 2019 as a part of the UNOPS Europe & Central Asia Region (ECR). Specifically, AUMCO aims to enable achievement of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through global programmes and tailored interventions in the Balkans, South Caucasus, and Central Asia, focused on:
- Project Management (full service, back on track)
- HR and Transactional Services
- Grant Management
Technical and Advisory Services
The UNOPS Uzbekistan Project Office currently has two ongoing projects both of which are major contributions to SDG3 (Good Health and Wellbeing).
The first project, “Support to Development of Oncology Services in Uzbekistan” is funded through a major loan from the Islamic Development Bank. UNOPS will support the Government of Uzbekistan in strengthening the preparedness of its national healthcare system, and preventing and treating oncological cases in an effective and timely manner. By identifying, procuring, delivering and operationalizing urgently needed medical, laboratory, radiological and ICT equipment, the project will significantly contribute to improved access and quality healthcare services for local communities in 14 regional locations including Tashkent and throughout the country.
The second project is the “Uzbekistan COVID-19 Emergency Response Project” with the Republic of Uzbekistan's Sanitary and Epidemiological Welfare and Public Health Service (SES). Funded through two major loans from the Asian Development Bank and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank. In this project UNOPS will support the Government of Uzbekistan to upgrade up to 54 existing laboratory and treatment facilities across the country, procure diagnostic equipment and supplies, and establish an ICT system for monitoring the epidemiological situation to strengthen preparedness and resilience to the COVID-19 pandemic and other epidemics.
*** Only nationals of Uzbekistan or persons already in Uzbekistan with a valid residence and work permit are eligible for this position***
Under the direct supervision of the Finance Senior Associate, and in close cooperation and coordination with the Support Services Manager and MCO Finance Specialist, the Finance Associate will provide financial and administrative support to the timely processing, recording, monitoring, and maintaining of financial transactions and accounts relating to payments and receipts in accordance with UNOPS’ financial rules, regulations, policies, and processes.
- Administration of Budgets and Cost-recovery System
- Accounting, Payments, Payroll
- Office Cash Management
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
1. Administration of Budgets and Cost-recovery System
Ensures administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and modifications of budgets for projects,
- Presentation of researched information for planning and status of office’s financial resources
- Provision of inputs for implementation of cost-saving and reduction strategies in consultation with the office management.
- Preparation of cost sharing and trust fund agreements, follow up on contributions within the office’s resource mobilization efforts
2. Accounting, Payments, Payroll
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for projects; preparation of all types of transactions; remittance run if required.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that payments processed are completed, timely corrective actions on the payments with errors are taken; transactions are correctly recorded against correct general ledger analysis; following up on any payrolls related enquiries; travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed or sent for processing.
- Review of payment requests including supporting documents against the annual work plan.
- Timely quarterly closures exercises as per corporate guidelines and timelines.
- Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Timely corrective actions on erroneous data in the Enterprise system.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for projects and follow-up with partners on contributions, deposits creation in the Enterprise system and their application.
- Timely reimbursements, payments of costs and VAT reimbursements by the Government.
3. Office Cash Management
- Timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements.
- Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in the Enterprise system to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast for use by the Support Services Manager.
- Liaison with clients to obtain estimates of their cash requirement.
- Initiation of bank transfers.
- Assisting in creating the requests for operational advances establishments, settlements, closures, clearances within the approved DOA and the established processes.
- Assisting in Petty cash establishment as required, settlements, closures and clearances within the established procedures.
4. Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for personnel on finance-related topics.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Contribute feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
- As Key Business User, provide financial management support in the financial management module of the Enterprise system to internal clients.
a. Education- Secondary school (High School or equivalent) with a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience is required. - A first level university degree (Bachelor or equivalent) in Business Administration, Finance or related field may substitute for some years of experience, but is not required. - Relevant certification in financial management or accounting is a distinct advantage.
b. Work experience
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant working experience within the areas of finance, accounting, business administration or related field is required.
- Proficiency in computers and office software packages (for example, MS Office or Google Workspace) is required.
- Knowledge of UN financial rules and regulations and working knowledge of ERP is an asset.
- Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in Uzbek or Russian is required. Fluency in both is an advantage.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA) Contract level: Local Support Level 6, LICA-6, ICS-6 Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds, satisfactory performance, and project duration.
********* Only nationals of Uzbekistan or persons already in Uzbekistan with a valid residence and work permit are eligible for this position********* For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.