Finance and Grants Assistant
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
Alongside its significant global humanitarian portfolio, the IRC seeks to be an operational and inspiring leader in matters of resettlement, asylum, and integration, demonstrating its credibility and expertise as a leading service provider, partner and advocate across the arc of the global displacement crisis. IRC uses its voice and expertise both in Europe and in the US to increase safe and legal pathways, shape systems and improve the quality of resettlement, asylum and integration services, as well as to promote innovative ways and solutions to address the growing global need for resettlement.
The IRC delivers programs across Europe that address acute humanitarian needs of asylum-seekers and other vulnerable migrants who are newly arrived, stranded or in transit, and programs that address the longer term integration needs of asylum-seekers and refugees.
In response to the increased migrants arrivals into Europe, in October 2015 the IRC began responding in Serbia and later expanded to other countries in the Balkans to assist vulnerable refugees and migrants. The programs are implemented in close partnership with local non-governmental organizations and government institutions.
The Finance and Grants Assistant is a full-time national staff position based in Belgrade. This position will be primarily responsible to assist in overseeing projects monitoring and reporting, ensure compliance with IRC and donor regulations, and to support implementation of IRC led projects in Serbia. This position reports directly to the Regional Finance Manager.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processing of bank and cash transactions on daily basis. - To ensure that Bank and cash book is updated on daily basis. - Processing and finalizing the monthly transaction spreadsheets. - Checking the field offices upload sheets and the vouchers on monthly basis. - Preparation and checking of bank reconciliation statements of all accounts on monthly basis. - Participate in professional development activities, as needed or requested. - Filing of invoices - Partnership checking invoices.
- Maintain systems for grant and sub-grant tracking and reporting, and draft sub-agreements, MOUs etc. and ensure that Subgrant agreements reflect the donor agreement;
- Assist in conducting pre-award assessment for all partners; - Establish and maintain electronic and hard files for all grants as per IRC practices, an electronic photo library, and all relevant internal and external program information. Ensure all grant files are organized and well managed for planning and preparation of donor reports and project monitoring; - Support business development team in proposal development, included though not restricted to mapping of potential partners, communication with partners, background research, etc; - Support project implementation including logistics support and organization of IRC-led activities - trainings, meetings, and workshops for partners, service providers, and stakeholders, in line with donor procedures and requirements;
- Draft case studies, success stories, program and contextual updates; - Support finance, grants, and program to ensure timely submission of all project narrative and financial reports in accordance with donor requirements and procedures - Provide administrative support to the daily implementation of activities as in work plans (production and distribution of documents, translations, practical organization of meetings, invoice control); - Contribute to the efficient functioning of the Office, in collaboration with the direct project management.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned to ensure that goals and objectives of projects are met and to support IRC program implementation. - Attend coordination working group meetings as needed, ensuring that information and minutes from interagency meetings are shared with relevant colleagues.
- Relevant Degree in management, social sciences, accounting or related field. - An excellent team player with good skills in teamwork. - Excellent communication skills, both oral and written. - Experience in reporting and demonstrated writing skills.. - Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills. - Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy. - Fluency in spoken and written Serbian and English; - Strong MS excel skills. - Experience working in finance administration and business development in NGOs/INGOs will be considered as an asset.